S7 Discussion forum for the Audi S7

Radio / Cellular Reception With Ceramic Window Tint?

Old 07-12-2015, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio / Cellular Reception With Ceramic Window Tint?

I hear that ceramic tint is not supposed to interfere with reception but I've read through about 10 different threads on window tint and some people claim poor radio (specifically AM) and cellular reception after getting ceramic window tint. Then there are some that say they don't have any problems. Those that have the problems are told by the dealer that it is the tint that is causing their poor reception.

I want to get the ceramic tint due to the excellent heat reduction over standard dyed or carbon window tint but if the ceramic tint interferes with my reception in the car then it's not worth it for me.

Just want to know how many of you have problems with reception with the ceramic window tint?

Thanks for you replies!
Old 07-15-2015, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Isn't the antenna in the fin on top of the car? Meaning the tint would have no impact whatsoever on your radio?

I have ceramic tint on the entire car (including the front windshield & sunroof) and have never had any issues with cell signal or FM stations. I've never tried the AM stations to notice if there was a difference before/after tint.

I honestly think you're fine to use ceramic tint. It's a widely popular product and there would be much more complaining if it truly caused problems.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by melland
Isn't the antenna in the fin on top of the car? Meaning the tint would have no impact whatsoever on your radio?

I have ceramic tint on the entire car (including the front windshield & sunroof) and have never had any issues with cell signal or FM stations. I've never tried the AM stations to notice if there was a difference before/after tint.

I honestly think you're fine to use ceramic tint. It's a widely popular product and there would be much more complaining if it truly caused problems.
Thanks for your reply. I was always under the impression that the fin on the top of the car was for satellite radio & GPS? Not sure where the other radio antennas are located but some of the other discussions say it's in the windshield (front & rear).

Really would like to get the ceramic film but just curios as to why some dealers would be telling owners that this ceramic film is causing their reception problems?

Last edited by BI6MAC; 07-15-2015 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radio / Cellular Reception With Ceramic Window Tint?

The 2016 model year allowed your phone, when plugged in to the USB port, leverages the cars antenna for better reception. I have ceramic and don't have any issues.