S7 Discussion forum for the Audi S7

Rear seat configuration

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear seat configuration

Am interested in a new S7, but I need 3 rear seatbelts. It is not an option in the RS7, but I have heard that the S7 can be configured that way. Does anyone have any info or experience with this subject? Thank you very much.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:18 PM
OBP
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mpolsky99
Am interested in a new S7, but I need 3 rear seatbelts. It is not an option in the RS7, but I have heard that the S7 can be configured that way. Does anyone have any info or experience with this subject? Thank you very much.
The A7 can have a 3 person bench at the back. When I was checking out 2013 S7s last year, dealers said no way. They were also not optimistic on having that option on 2014s. Maybe 2015 ?
Old 04-25-2014, 06:24 PM
CWK
AudiWorld Member

I had the same issue when I was shopping for a new S7 - I couldn't deal with only two rear seats. I really needed capacity for 3 kids in the back of my family car and wanted to do it the right way, with the OEM center belt and head restraint and all new Audi seat parts. Of course, I didn't want to settle for an A7 just to get the extra seat. So I went ahead and ordered an S7, and after taking delivery, I replaced the rear seat with a new three-across rear seat which is standard in the A7. Although I got a healthy discount on the parts prices from the dealer, it was not cheap (including installation, it ran about $7.5K), but I now have a car with 25% greater seating capacity, yet still is safe and attractive looking in the rear.

If anyone is looking to do the same thing, I can post the parts list - the major items are a new wire bench seat support, a new right hand folding seat back which contains the fittings needed to install the center headrest and belt, the center headrest and belt, three foam seat cushions (a full width bench seat which covers the wire seat support, left and right outer seat backs), new upholstery to cover the foam, and some trim parts. In anticipation of replacing the seat, I did not order the rear side air bags, which were not advisable anyway since kids are the primary rear passengers, and would have made the job more complicated. Since the A7 upholstery does not come in the diamond stitch pattern used for the standard S7 sport seats, it was necessary to order the Comfort Seating package, so the front leather would still match the rear. I didn't attach a picture here, since the rear seat now looks exactly like a new A7, and thus nothing unusual to show.

I had a local custom shop do the installation since the dealer would not do it – it took them about half a day. The only difficulty they ran into was they expected the rear seat heaters to be glued to the old upholstery but they were actually sewn to the leather and had to be carefully removed and transferred to the new seats. Everything else, including the center seat belt fittings, was bolt in with no drilling required. The custom shop said they could have just replaced the stock plastic center console with a cushion for someone to sit on, but I was not interested in that solution since there would not be a center belt or a head restraint.

Audi should make this an available option going forward, since this job was a major pain to get accomplished, especially the hours spent in the parts department figuring out each part number and trim code which needed to be replaced. I am very happy with the result, but it didn't have to be this hard.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:33 AM
OBP
Audiworld Junior Member

Wow, I admire your dedication. Great job.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:40 PM
CWK
AudiWorld Member

Someone on the RS7 forum wanted to see a parts list and photos for the rear seat replacement to get three-across seating in an S7 or RS7, so I thought I would post them here, as well. The trim codes here are for black upholstery with no side air bags, but best to check with whomever you order the parts from. I've included the purported list price for each part - I'm sure anyone can do better than this.

The photos show my 2014 S7 with the new seat - by design, it looks just like a new A7 back there. The rear view shows that is in, in fact, an S7 with a center head restraint and center seat belt.

Good Luck...
Attached Images   
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
rear seat parts list.pdf (76.6 KB, 482 views)
Old 11-02-2014, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hello all...this is my first post to the site although I have been looking through for a couple of months now.

I took delivery on a new 2015 S7 Phantom black with Black Optics and Diamond stitched grey interior on Thurs of last week. Like many with kids I struggled with the backseat issue. My wife convinced me to pull trigger anyway and I figured I could make something work if we all (5) had to drive together. It's a long story for another day as to how I got to the S7 from a 2013 S6 but suffice to say it may be of great benefit to many what I have discovered through my complicated Audi experience.

Looks like the S6 rear seat (bottom), with the 3 seat option is an exact fit for The S7's. I have a great dealer who assisted with the swap ...took about 10minutes....literally. They allowed me to take my seat from the 13 S6 and the 3rd seatbelt receiver. They would have allowed me to swap the seat backs too with the shoulder strap but it would have caused a code in the donor car. I figure at the least I could rig another lap belt until I find a S6 seat back to buy and use. BTW...cannot tell difference other than my bench has 3 seatbelt receivers and my seat-backs have only two belts...other than that everything matches up perfectly. I have to mention that if the seat-backs are swapped too the S7 will not have any sensors or ability to tension the 3rd seatbelt. Also the S7s seats are countoured slightly differently but don't Impact a 3rd passenger in rear.

Sorry I don't have pics right now, I am out of town but will take some and post when I return next week.

Really don't know why they don't offer the 3 seat option in the S7....clearly ll the components are there for use. In fact I would have paid extra for the option. Many thanks to my dealer and service manager for going out of their way to satisfy me...experiment and be reasonable.

Hope this helps someone...only struggle will be finding a salvage S6 to take donor parts from.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Me vets
Hello all...this is my first post to the site although I have been looking through for a couple of months now.

I took delivery on a new 2015 S7 Phantom black with Black Optics and Diamond stitched grey interior on Thurs of last week. Like many with kids I struggled with the backseat issue. My wife convinced me to pull trigger anyway and I figured I could make something work if we all (5) had to drive together. It's a long story for another day as to how I got to the S7 from a 2013 S6 but suffice to say it may be of great benefit to many what I have discovered through my complicated Audi experience.
Any reason for the switch from S6 to S7? How does the ride feel between the 2? I'm on the fence about S6 or S7 for the next car - I do need the 3 seats so I was leaning towards the S6. The lower price helps too.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The S6 I bought was a left over and because of that was a fantastic deal that I couldn't pass up, it has some options I didn't want and didn't have some I did. I originally was going in to lease an A7. After driving the S6 I fell in love with the power/drive that and the deal sold me. Within a few weeks I noticed a noise in front end that couldn't be rectified by Audi. They bought car back and allowed me to upgrade ( really to whatever I wanted...cost changes though) for a slight difference. That too was a fantastic opportunity and I struggled between the S6 and the S7 strictly because of the seats since I have 3 young kids. Audi said 3 seat option was not a possibility in S7. My wife pushed me to the S7 because she knows I would always be yearning for it but would have sacrificed for my family. Overruling logic was...when we have to travel as a family we will use her SUV as we do now..and kids are growing and will prob not even fit into S6 in few years. Long story short...I am happy with my decision and elated that the S6 seats fit in, which was something I had researched for a while but couldn't confirm until now. Again I can't mention enough how great Audi was through this...very accommodating and gracious, not what I expected.

Hope this helps. Ride seems almost identical except I feel a bit more excitement/special driving the S7. Fact is there are few S6's around and even fewer S7's...exclusivity feels pretty special.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Me vets
The S6 I bought was a left over and because of that was a fantastic deal that I couldn't pass up, it has some options I didn't want and didn't have some I did. I originally was going in to lease an A7. After driving the S6 I fell in love with the power/drive that and the deal sold me. Within a few weeks I noticed a noise in front end that couldn't be rectified by Audi. They bought car back and allowed me to upgrade ( really to whatever I wanted...cost changes though) for a slight difference. That too was a fantastic opportunity and I struggled between the S6 and the S7 strictly because of the seats since I have 3 young kids. Audi said 3 seat option was not a possibility in S7. My wife pushed me to the S7 because she knows I would always be yearning for it but would have sacrificed for my family. Overruling logic was...when we have to travel as a family we will use her SUV as we do now..and kids are growing and will prob not even fit into S6 in few years. Long story short...I am happy with my decision and elated that the S6 seats fit in, which was something I had researched for a while but couldn't confirm until now. Again I can't mention enough how great Audi was through this...very accommodating and gracious, not what I expected.

Hope this helps. Ride seems almost identical except I feel a bit more excitement/special driving the S7. Fact is there are few S6's around and even fewer S7's...exclusivity feels pretty special.
Got it - thank you for all the info! I went from an A7 (also got on a deal and wasn't ideal in options or color) to a Porsche Macan. But am now considering getting back into an S6 or S7. Other than the seats, it looks like there is a $9k price difference between the two as well. Although I think the S7's will hold their value a little bit better than S6 (but who knows).
Old 11-03-2014, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by amelen
Got it - thank you for all the info! I went from an A7 (also got on a deal and wasn't ideal in options or color) to a Porsche Macan. But am now considering getting back into an S6 or S7. Other than the seats, it looks like there is a $9k price difference between the two as well. Although I think the S7's will hold their value a little bit better than S6 (but who knows).
Funny....not to get off track I was thinking of the Macan too but was pulled to Audi. What is your experience with it? I am thinking of that for my wife's next car.

Quick Reply: Rear seat configuration