S7 Discussion forum for the Audi S7

Ride Selection

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ride Selection

I recently bought a very lightly use 2015 S7 from a third party. I'm thoroughly enjoying it. A question I've not found an answer to is; when I place the car's driving characteristic into 'Auto', rather than say 'Dynamic' or 'Comfort', when (how quickly and what triggers it) does it change from a Comfort to dynamic? And how long does it stay at that Audi preprogrammed group of settings?
Old 04-29-2016, 02:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I find that when to use a semi-colon in the middle of a sentence to be similar. Although I do have the same question. My car is new and mostly used the comfort mode. Dynamic used less is awesome and I assume unearthly friendly. So, is Auto the way to go to achieve the right balance? How would the car know what I want? Guessing it might not. I'll bet some of the people on here know though. Great question to me.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Lets go with earth unfriendly instead? Better sentence, still semi-colon free.
Got humor?
Old 05-02-2016, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

An Audi technician once told me that 75% of Audi drivers never use anything other than Auto in Drive Select.

I am frequently surprised (although shouldn't be) by how often an automotive journalist has written in an Audi test that they find Comfort too soft, and Dynamic too aggressive, and that Auto was the best setting in their considered opinion. This surprise leads to dismay if I actually paid for the publication.

Each to their own, but I cannot stand Auto mode. In particular, I do not like steering weight changing whilst I am halfway through a corner because the Auto logic decides I am going for it and flicks from a Comfort steering weight to Dynamic. And if the sports differential decides to change to Dynamic at the same time, which it probably will, the angle of the car will change in the middle of the corner.

I also have a strong dislike of the C7 platform's failure to provide any means of changing ADS mode other than scrolling through the MMI screen. At least it stays in the last selected ADS mode, unlike other platform versions which always start up in Auto. So I keep the car in Dynamic or Individual ADS, then use the transmission lever to flick between D or S depending on how manic or relaxed I want the car to be.

As to the fuzzy logic of Auto, aggressive throttle opening and traction (slip) from higher cornering speeds seem to trigger the event change. I've never used a stopwatch, but my perception is quick to go from Comfort to Dynamic, say 2 seconds or so, and slow to go from Dynamic to Comfort, say 20 seconds or more. But best to see for yourself.