S7 Discussion forum for the Audi S7

S7 nervous in high speed corners

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 07:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S7 nervous in high speed corners

Just traded in my 08 S6 for a 13 S7. Love the new interior and after I added an AWE exhaust love the sound. Quick question. Dynamic mode does make the car handle better but when really pushing it in fast sweepers, like 70-90 mph, the car leans a lot and the front end does not set a hard line. Kind of nervously tracks back and forth. Still on the stock Pzeros, running 44 psi per the door sticker. My S6 was definitely more stable is this normal for the S7?

If it is normal, is the Eurocode Alu K and sways the answer to my problem?
Thanks for any help with this.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mjohnson97045
Just traded in my 08 S6 for a 13 S7. Love the new interior and after I added an AWE exhaust love the sound. Quick question. Dynamic mode does make the car handle better but when really pushing it in fast sweepers, like 70-90 mph, the car leans a lot and the front end does not set a hard line. Kind of nervously tracks back and forth. Still on the stock Pzeros, running 44 psi per the door sticker. My S6 was definitely more stable is this normal for the S7?

If it is normal, is the Eurocode Alu K and sways the answer to my problem?
Thanks for any help with this.
I noticed you mentioned that you're running 44 PSI on the stock PZeros as per the door sticker. That's recommended full load tire pressure. Normal load pressure (1 or 2 passengers) is much lower than 44 PSI. 44 PSI makes the tires very hard. Consult your car's owner's manual under the tire section for the recommended normal load tire pressure.

I believe part of the problem you're experiencing with your S7 is due to the tires having too much air in it.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just checked the manual and the spread for the front tires normal to full load is only 3 psi, but the spread for the rears is huge 35 - 44psi. Changed the pressures and will see if that helps.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I experience some of the same type of "nervousness" (great description, by the way) in my '16 S6. I've been presuming it's due to the incredibly rubbish nature of the stock P-Zero tires. It's bad enough that I've been considering removing them in favor of some Michelin Pilot Super Sports after only 5k miles.

I'll be closely monitoring this thread to see if your tire pressure adjustments make a notable difference, so please do report back.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had the pilot SS on my S6 before I sold it. A little loud but man did they grip. Except in snow where they were absolutely terrifying. Like get out and walk home. I live in Seattle and there is snow on the ground ~ every 3 years so its hard to justify winter tires.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the pilot SS on my S6 before I sold it. A little loud but man did they grip. Except in snow where they were absolutely terrifying. Like get out and walk home. I live in Seattle and there is snow on the ground ~ every 3 years so its hard to justify winter tires.
Funny - I live in Seattle area too! I had Pilot SS on my B8.5 A4, and I adored them. Any news on the pressures improving your handling feel at higher speeds?
Old 03-04-2016, 12:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok just lowered the PSI from 44 F 44 R to 41 F 40 R. If definitely helped but there is still a general looseness in the steering at high cornering speeds and it kind of flops into the lean and then leans more than my old S6. Out between Redmond and Fall City the roads are bumpy, but my old steel springed S6 was much flatter and more controlled. I would love to get more feedback. If this is kind of normal for the air suspensions I will be going to Auchtung for eurocode fun parts. If it sounds off I will be going to the dealer.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Dynamic mode does make the car handle better but when really pushing it in fast sweepers, like 70-90 mph, the car leans a lot and the front end does not set a hard line. Kind of nervously tracks back and forth.
Lowering the air pressures will improve the handling in general. Lower the rear pressure to lessen the understeer. You could increase the front pressure but I think your front pressure is good where it is.

If it is normal, is the Eurocode Alu K and sways the answer to my problem? Thanks for any help with this.
Start with the thicker rear sway bar to reduce the lean and understeer. Increasing the front bar will reduce lean but it will also induce more plowing.

Part of the vagueness may be associated with the quattro system or the sport differential. You have much more experience with that than I do.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too moved from an '08 S6 to a '14 S7 and am seeking improved handling. This thread is helpful. I ran 44F 44R at first then went to 41F 41R. I think I'll try 40F 38R to see if that gives me a good feel and then adjust from there if needed.

The S7 does not feel as nimble as my '04 A6 2.7T. In that car I peeled around a certain exit ramp on my daily commute at 60MPH when traffic allowed. My '08 S6 could take the same ramp at that speed but didn't feel as tight - more roll. The S7 can also take that ramp at 60MPH but with a bit of discomfort on my part. I think tire pressure adjustment will help, plus settling on a steering/suspension/sport differential configuration and sticking with it so I can predict performance.
Old 08-13-2016, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Ok just lowered the PSI from 44 F 44 R to 41 F 40 R. If definitely helped but there is still a general looseness in the steering at high cornering speeds and it kind of flops into the lean and then leans more than my old S6. Out between Redmond and Fall City the roads are bumpy, but my old steel springed S6 was much flatter and more controlled. I would love to get more feedback. If this is kind of normal for the air suspensions I will be going to Auchtung for eurocode fun parts. If it sounds off I will be going to the dealer.
This doesn't sound right.

Sure, the S line adaptive air suspension is definitely tuned more for comfort vs the steel sprung versions. Audi have been progressively softening the S models. They've been doing the same with base level RS models too, and I don't think you can even get DRC suspension with the RS models in the US any more.

I have an A7 with S line steel suspension, which is a noticeably stiffer set up than the S line adaptive air suspension in the S6/S7. Driving a new 2016 S6 there was a little more lean, a much better ride, felt higher (which it was) but it still felt tight. The test drive was short as the dealer had sold the car and had no others in stock. Shortly after, I drove a 2013 (production) year S6 that the dealer had just taken in trade. It was horrible, and matched exactly your description.

I would try and drive a new or recent S7/S6 if your dealer has any, and get a benchmark to determine where your car rates before doing anything else.

On the other stuff, the C7 uses a crown gear centre diff vs the earlier Torsen diff in the C6, and is much faster and has more latitude for moving torque front/rear. You will feel this happening in a way you would not in the C6. And the sports diff if fitted will also change the feel, as when the front wheels start to slip (understeer), the rear diff will over-rotate the outside rear to help rotate the car. It can feel like the car is rapidly transitioning from understeer to oversteer, and the natural inclination is to modulate the throttle. Which will upset what the quattro and/or sports diff are trying to do with the torque splits - it wants constant throttle input. Probably what Tenspeed was hinting at.

P Zeroes have a narrower operating temperature than some others, and their compound also hardens with age (new ones released this year very different). If yours are the original tyres (low mileage car?), they are at least 4 years old, likely more: time to go. But floppy suspension is more than just tired tyres.

Quick Reply: S7 nervous in high speed corners