S7 Discussion forum for the Audi S7

Text messaging function

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 07:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Location: Italy - repatriate to FL - eventually North Carolina
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bmcds4
Tried it today. When stopped, I can use the touchpad to type out a response or if in motion I can choose from a list of canned responses like OK, Thanks, On the phone, etc. Or I can call the person if stopped or in motion.
Same question, iOS or Android.? I just picked my car up today and haven't had time to test that function. Did ask the dealer and he said no because of safety concerns but apparently that isn't true across the board based on what the last two posters said.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry! Android - Samsung Note 3 running Lollipop. I will do some more tests later today or tomorrow. Driving the wife's Q5 today.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bmcds4
Sorry! Android - Samsung Note 3 running Lollipop. I will do some more tests later today or tomorrow. Driving the wife's Q5 today.
Yeah, I think that the MIB-2 implementation on the 2016 A6/7 lines delivers different features depending on the mobile operating system on your phone. It's confusing to me because the capability seems to be related to the Bluetooth Messaging Profile which both iOS and Android supports. Maybe there are different versions of the profile and full messaging functionality in Audi MMI depends on a release that iPhone doesn't yet support.
It's pretty weird. Thanks for the testing. I still haven't had a chance to test it with my iPhone 4s ( running the latest iOS for the model) but there are a bunch of factors that could be the cause of it not working fully for iPhone.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by palmerg
Yeah, I think that the MIB-2 implementation on the 2016 A6/7 lines delivers different features depending on the mobile operating system on your phone. It's confusing to me because the capability seems to be related to the Bluetooth Messaging Profile which both iOS and Android supports. Maybe there are different versions of the profile and full messaging functionality in Audi MMI depends on a release that iPhone doesn't yet support.
It's pretty weird. Thanks for the testing. I still haven't had a chance to test it with my iPhone 4s ( running the latest iOS for the model) but there are a bunch of factors that could be the cause of it not working fully for iPhone.
I was wrong it is Apple not Audi that limits the messaging functionality. Read this link from Apple Developers guide and look for 'Message Access Profile (MAP)"
You will see what is not to be implemented by developers (Audi is one)
https://developer.apple.com/hardware...Guidelines.pdf
So, either get an Android phone or a car that supports Apple CarPlay (doesn't use MAP). At this point it doesn't look like Apple will support message sending over BlueTooth.

Last edited by palmerg; 06-16-2015 at 05:10 PM.
Old 06-20-2015, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the info.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by denisejo77
Thanks for the info.
NP just another reason for me to go Android
Old 06-28-2015, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I know I'm a bit late to this discussion but I saw this discussion on here the other day and it speaks to your issue. Hope this helps!

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a7-...ri-vr-2884768/
Old 07-05-2015, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks so much for the information. With external voice recognition I can use this feature to enable Siri to send a text message hands free 😊