S7 Discussion forum for the Audi S7

Text messaging function

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 01:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Text messaging function

Hi. I have a 2016 S7. I am having trouble with the text messaging function. I can receive texts and the car will also read the text, but I am unable to reply or create a new text. The only option I have when I open a text is to delete it.

Does anyone know how to reply and create new texts?

I have a iPhone 6 through AT&T

Thanks
Old 06-10-2015, 06:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Location: Italy - repatriate to FL - eventually North Carolina

Originally Posted by denisejo77
Hi. I have a 2016 S7. I am having trouble with the text messaging function. I can receive texts and the car will also read the text, but I am unable to reply or create a new text. The only option I have when I open a text is to delete it.

Thanks
After some research on this it looks like the incoming messages are routed to the MMI via the Bluetooth connection and maybe for safety reasons responses, even dictation, are not supported. There is probably a workaround of some sort that will work but haven't found it yet. Will keep looking but maybe someone here has already solved it.

Apparently, Android does reply and create new out of the box but iPhone 6 is a no go. Have seen reports that send / create SMS works for iPhone in other cars. So, some are pointing the finger at Audi to provide a fix in the MMI. Not really certain who to blame but if iPhone works elsewhere and Android works via Bluetooth in both directions in AudiConnect it does sound like a possible MMI issue.

I bet it has something to do with Audi's separate firmware adoption schedules for Apple CarPlay and AndroidAuto. Audi has signed up for both (announced to fully support both in the AudiTT and new Q7). The good news, if my hunch is correct, is that it can be corrected in a FW flash but it might have to be done at the dealer.

Last edited by palmerg; 06-10-2015 at 07:03 AM.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks
Old 06-11-2015, 01:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Hope is in the air - when is another question :)

Thanks
I found this Press Release from 11/14 which gives me hope that the 2016 MMI (via the implementation of the Audi MIB-2 platform used by the 2016 A7) IS INDEED UPGRADABLE! We hope this is true - and it is stated here:
Audi showcases MIB-2 technology and virtual cockpit at Connected Car Expo in Los Angeles | Audi USA

This Audi Video states that "Send and Receive Messages" will be supported in the 2016 MIB-2 which is in the A7 (supposedly) - see the list at 2':05" - there is a strong "firmware/software upgradeable" message coming from Audi related to MIB-2 - so I think it will happen for iPhone and Android (and Windows too)

Last edited by palmerg; 06-11-2015 at 03:21 AM.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks
Have you tried this while stopped as opposed to in motion? I'm not a big text message guy but I can read them in motion and not much else.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by bmcds4
Have you tried this while stopped as opposed to in motion? I'm not a big text message guy but I can read them in motion and not much else.
Yes I have - doesn't work when the vehicle is stationary either
Old 06-13-2015, 07:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes I have - doesn't work when the vehicle is stationary either
Not certain but pretty sure that, for 2016 A6/A7 lines, Audi will provide a Firmware flash somewhere down the line that provides full SMS functionality meaning Send/receive/create new, for the iPhone 6. I will ask my dealer on Monday when I pick up my 2016 S7 in Charlotte NC. It may be something that the dealer has to do.

Also in the cards is the roll out of CarPlay and Android Auto support, but whether that will be a flash for the 2016 cars remains a mystery. It will be standard on the new TT and Q7 - to debut with the first cars to get Virtual Cockpit (fully digital gauges).
Old 06-13-2015, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

odd...my 2012 A6 allows a response to a text message after it's read to me. It prompts a menu of "respond", "delete" or "I'm done" (something similar to those may not be exact). Is the issue with your phone?
Old 06-15-2015, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Tried it today. When stopped, I can use the touchpad to type out a response or if in motion I can choose from a list of canned responses like OK, Thanks, On the phone, etc. Or I can call the person if stopped or in motion.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by stampede253
odd...my 2012 A6 allows a response to a text message after it's read to me. It prompts a menu of "respond", "delete" or "I'm done" (something similar to those may not be exact). Is the issue with your phone?
iOS or Android phone ?

Quick Reply: Text messaging function