S7 Discussion forum for the Audi S7

Tire and Wheel Package?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire and Wheel Package?

Last week I purchased a 2015 S7 with factory 20" High Performance Summer Tires. The tire and wheel contract covers the wheels, original tires and cosmetics. It does not cover winter tires as I'll most likely purchase something other than the Audi approved winter tire package. The wheels will remain on the car and summer performance tires used roughly 6 months/yr. I live in Connecticut and winter tires are a must...

Any thoughts on purchasing the tire and wheel package? I've heard 20" performance tires/wheels can be easily damaged, just never had any experience with either. I recently sold my 2013 Audi A7 w/ 19" wheels and all season tires and never had any issues.

Thank you for any feedback...I'm new to the forum and apologize if this is a stupid question.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

Not a stupid question at all....

You will get many opinions on this, but my take would be; 1) Try to go to a narrower tire for you winters. You will increase the force per unit area on the tire and the result is better traction. 2) 20" wheels can be easily damaged. This is due to the shorter tire sidewall. I would look at a 19" package. The TireRack is a good source of info. 3) Look at all of the options. You may find that 19" wheels may have a smaller selection and what is available might me more expensive that 20" wheels. No matter which way you go, 19" or 20", be prepared for some tire sticker shock!

At least you have 7-8 months to make a decision....Best of luck
Old 03-07-2016, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This didn't come out exactly as I intended it to...it's actually any thoughts on purchasing the tire and wheel "protection" package.

By your response of "20" wheels" can be easily damaged, I have my answer.

Thanks again!
Old 03-08-2016, 12:34 PM
mog
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 19hole
Not a stupid question at all....

You will get many opinions on this, but my take would be; 1) Try to go to a narrower tire for you winters. You will increase the force per unit area on the tire and the result is better traction. 2) 20" wheels can be easily damaged. This is due to the shorter tire sidewall. I would look at a 19" package. The TireRack is a good source of info. 3) Look at all of the options. You may find that 19" wheels may have a smaller selection and what is available might me more expensive that 20" wheels. No matter which way you go, 19" or 20", be prepared for some tire sticker shock!

At least you have 7-8 months to make a decision....Best of luck
i have summer 20s and opted for winter 19s, mainly because of 2 things -

1. what you said - narrower is better for the winter
2. better options on tirerack for winter tires (they had blizzaks, michelins, and 3 sets of pirellis as i recall)

btw, as you look around for winter rims, just be aware that the brakes on the S7 are abnormally huge - i.e. just because a rim is generically listed as 255/40/19 does NOT mean it will actually fit.

i (and many others i'm sure) got mine from hartmann - their website is very explicit about what fits on an S7 vs what doesn't. as to whether or not to get some sort of protection package, i'd personally lean towards no because

1. rims: if you get knockoffs for the winter, you'll probably care a bit less if the rims get damaged
2. tires: winter tires are made of a softer compound that doesn't harden in cold weather which means they're a bit less likely to pop than say driving your summer tires in 35 degree weather. they're a bit squishier on purpose and with the thicker sidewall, you probably have a bit more wiggle room.

...but only you know the roads around you and how pothole-y they get in the wintertime. best of luck!