S7 Discussion forum for the Audi S7

Vibration When Turning the wheel

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 133 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Vibration When Turning the wheel

My 2013 s7 with the factory 20" rims and tires vibrate when you turn the wheel completely at low speeds, it shakes the inside of the car. Anybody have any reason for this?
Old 05-28-2015, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by yvnrg1981
Same here.
got an appointment at Audi On the 8th of June. I'll let you know what they say
Old 06-02-2015, 06:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you turn the wheel from lock to lock when making a U-Turn, it is normal to feel the steering wheel shake. The shudder you feel in the wheel is the differential locking up, which is most likely what Audi will tell you unless they find something mechanically wrong. Ask the service manager or shop foreman if this could be a possible reason before paying a service advisor for a diagnostic.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by treeznbreez20
When you turn the wheel from lock to lock when making a U-Turn, it is normal to feel the steering wheel shake. The shudder you feel in the wheel is the differential locking up, which is most likely what Audi will tell you unless they find something mechanically wrong. Ask the service manager or shop foreman if this could be a possible reason before paying a service advisor for a diagnostic.
The thing is it's not subtle. It doesn't sound or feel right the whole car shakes and makes a noticeably loud vibrating noise. It can't be normal.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The symptoms sound like a four wheel drive problem. My Jeep used to shutter like that with the hubs locked and the wheels turned sharp. Usually a power steering pump will make more noise at full lock but not vibrate. Does it stop if you turn the steering wheel back off of full lock?

If the whole car is shaking, I would tend to suspect something in the AWD system.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tenspeed
The symptoms sound like a four wheel drive problem. My Jeep used to shutter like that with the hubs locked and the wheels turned sharp. Usually a power steering pump will make more noise at full lock but not vibrate. Does it stop if you turn the steering wheel back off of full lock?

If the whole car is shaking, I would tend to suspect something in the AWD system.
When the cars driving straight it's prefectly fine only happens when it's almost fully turned. The car is going into Audi this coming Monday and they said they'll see what they can find. I'll tell them that I think it's the AWD system thanks!
Old 06-02-2015, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Pabla
I'll tell them that I think it's the AWD system thanks!
Just tell them the symptoms and take them for a test drive. They work on those cars everyday and know the faults. If they can't find the cause, ask them if it could be the AWD.

It's hard to diagnose a problem from a written description. It could be in the steering, the CV joints or the center differential. Hard to say without sitting in the seat and cranking the steering wheel.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Just tell them the symptoms and take them for a test drive. They work on those cars everyday and know the faults. If they can't find the cause, ask them if it could be the AWD.

It's hard to diagnose a problem from a written description. It could be in the steering, the CV joints or the center differential. Hard to say without sitting in the seat and cranking the steering wheel.
That is true as well
Old 06-15-2015, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

So after i got the car back i was told the vibration is common and is not an issue. They said it happens to all s7's and rs5's, my question is does anybody else's rs5 or s7 does this?

Quick Reply: Vibration When Turning the wheel