TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

TTS ... Rear Suspension Noise

Old 03-02-2016, 08:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Huey52
Good point, as usual. Dealers tend to inflate to placard, which reiterating is for full passenger/luggage load. Related, note that the driver's door-end Manufactured-by placard, at least for the US, lists vehicle Max Curb weight.
....think those Hankooks generally gives a hard/harsh ride .
If they were not that expensive to replace , would have got rid of them stat .
Tried to specify other than Hankooks when ordering the car , but no luck .
This brings me to the question as to why a German vehicle producer like Audi would choose a Korean and not a European tyre ??? ( Even sounds awful!! )

Been pumping to the spec on the door , however my sticker gives standard as well as full load pressures .......I have inflated to 2.4 bar front and 1.9 bar at rear which I discovered when taking the car to a Wheel and Tyre fitment centre as the garage attendant that checked my tyres did not use a calibrated tyre press gauge and inflated way off and over the correct
pressure .
Moral of the story - do not inflate at your filling station !

This after the tyre pressure monitor came on and when checking tyres were still perfect .....so a faulty TPM in my car ???? = Anyone else ?
Old 03-02-2016, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Alsof
This after the tyre pressure monitor came on and when checking tyres were still perfect .....so a faulty TPM in my car ???? = Anyone else ?
Since the TPMS uses the ABS sensors, I'd expect other problems if one of those goes out. Did the TPMS alert indicate a specific wheel or all four?

After inflating or deflating any of the tires, the TPMS must be reset. It also must be reset after a significant temperature change. I'm not sure what value to use for "significant", but mine alarmed here (Minnesota) in December after having driven it in much warmer Italy for a couple of weeks in October.

- Chuck
Old 03-02-2016, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Yep, I reset the MMI alarm threshold every time I inflate (checked at least monthly).

Note: there are no longer in-tire TPMS sensors but rather the MMI calculates a low pressure alarm based on ABS rotational data input differing from threshold. Unfortunately there is no individual tire pressure readout, as I had in my lowly Jeep.

Originally Posted by n828cl
Since the TPMS uses the ABS sensors, I'd expect other problems if one of those goes out. Did the TPMS alert indicate a specific wheel or all four?

After inflating or deflating any of the tires, the TPMS must be reset. It also must be reset after a significant temperature change. I'm not sure what value to use for "significant", but mine alarmed here (Minnesota) in December after having driven it in much warmer Italy for a couple of weeks in October.

- Chuck
Old 03-02-2016, 11:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

TPMS left showed all four .
Reading the manual , I think it says that individual wheel problem should give you read out as to which wheel it is .
My S5 did this .
Think it could just be a glitch - I checked all at correct pressure and then re-set - let's see as this was the first time the car was on a highway doing a bit of a drive .
Old 03-03-2016, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Yes, what I meant is that there is no all-four-wheel graphic depicting instantaneous tire pressures. I miss that from my ol' Jeep.

As you reset the threshold you should now be fine.

TPMS left showed all four .
Reading the manual , I think it says that individual wheel problem should give you read out as to which wheel it is .
My S5 did this .
Think it could just be a glitch - I checked all at correct pressure and then re-set - let's see as this was the first time the car was on a highway doing a bit of a drive .
Old 03-03-2016, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

let's see as this was the first time the car was on a highway doing a bit of a drive .
That's also when my spurious alert went off - about two hours into the first trip in this country. I suspect the temperature rise put the pressures out of the calculated TPMS limits. After checking the pressures and doing the reset, it hasn't happened since

- Chuck
Old 03-06-2016, 12:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Done - only did some 20 miles , but seems to have resolved the issue at last .

Suspension of course is a hard ride with 19" wheels + those Hankook tyres I think the culprits .....think will reduce pressure to assist for a softer ride .

What do you think ??
Back to the suspension noise -again !!

Car went in ,as still a suspension knock but not too bad ....dealer double checked that correct revised part was fitted which it was , re-assembled from start , torqued with a special tool , and much better ,except on certain corrugations on the road surface this knocking noise still appears .
Refuse to believe this standard nor acceptable , or within Audi's design spec.
Where to now ??
I believe I am going to take the car to my previous dealer where I had a specific technician that looked after all my previous cars .
He is very meticulous and thorough and perhaps the dealer that has been trying to repair this noise is looking past the issue.
Anyone agree with this second opinion strategy ?
Old 05-26-2016, 08:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wow I just took deliver of my TTS today and immediately noticed it when I drove off
googled "tts rear suspension knock" and found this thread
I would contact my dealer to find out if the fix exists as described
Old 05-26-2016, 10:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

After fitment of the revised top shock mounting , there is still a knocking noise from the rear suspension .I took this up with Audi direct and the vehicle had to go in for all sorts of tests , photos , sound clips of the noise, etc which was sent to Germany .I was advised that there is a further revised part being made available at end May to resolve the issue ..I am anxiously waiting !
Old 05-31-2016, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default REAR SUPENSION NOISE

I had this also with my TTS. They had to order some rear supension parts and a special tool to put it in. Parts came right away but it took a month to get the tool. Hopefully your dealership has one. Once they replaced the parts it was perferct!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TTS ... Rear Suspension Noise