Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Service due!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service due!

I do my own oil changes so I reset the Oil change interval on the MMI when I did my last oil change. However, I'm still getting a "service due!" indicator upon startup. How do I reset for that?
Old 10-13-2011, 12:35 PM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff968
I do my own oil changes so I reset the Oil change interval on the MMI when I did my last oil change. However, I'm still getting a "service due!" indicator upon startup. How do I reset for that?
You can reset the oil yourself but the dealer needs to reset the one for service.
I believe that interval is every 15k. They'll do it for free and it only takes 10 mins.

I'm almost positive you could do this yourself if you had a VAGCOM.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That sucks... which means I have to stop by dealer to get the service due reset even I do all services myself or get a VAGCOM. Is there other ways to reset it? I can reset the reminder in my 04 A4 myself.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by kchao2000
That sucks... which means I have to stop by dealer to get the service due reset even I do all services myself or get a VAGCOM. Is there other ways to reset it? I can reset the reminder in my 04 A4 myself.
The only way my dealer would reset the "service due" was unless I had the maintanence service preformed, which usually was some outragious price to check of the most basic stuff. ie replace the air filter, cabin air filter (a 1 min job), rotate tires check fluid levels and the oil change. One time when I brought it in for a CEL (Check engine light) I thought that they would clear the service due code when they fixed and cleared the CEL but this wasn't the case.
I due belive when I asked how much they wanted for the 25k service I think they said $200 plus change. The only good thing that I can say about having them do the service is some dealers will go through and check the outstanding TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins)for your Q5. If they find an issue then they usually take care of it under warranty work (audi pays) This really depends on how service orientated your dealship is. If the dealship is a high volume dealership chances are TSB won't get taken care of unless you actually notice the problem. If your mechanically inclined and can relate to automotive computer systems get the VAGCOM or one of the cheaper knock offs out there. I think you need the cables that work on software from 908 thu 10.6.2 or beta 11.2 seems the software keeps evolving.between the different makes and model year. The other option is audi care which the dealer wanted $800.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

How come no one ever purchase the Audi Care?! imo you save a lot of money on it
Old 10-14-2011, 03:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by gqboy322

Agreed, unless you're self-sufficient, and own the VCDS tool.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:20 AM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

I service my own car including change the oil every 4-5k miles and I'll end up paying about 40% less than the Audi Care would have cost.

If you don't know what you're doing then Audi care is the way to go. If you are mechanically inclined then it's not worth it.

I also keep thorough records in case I'm questioned in the future about maintenance.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have purchased it - it is a slight savings, I do NOT have the Vagcom and I do not have the time to do services required for the Q - so to me it was worth the $ for it. (though honestly I do hate being reliant on the dealership :/)
Old 10-14-2011, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

our audi care decision was not based on savings as we bought a $40k lil car for the wife's daily driver...

it is the convenience factor of knowing I DON'T have to plan and do that work and since the dealer I use has been great thus far... no worries !

years ago when I had to do it myself I justified it by saying I enjoyed it, but didn't
Old 10-14-2011, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MonzaAvant
I service my own car including change the oil every 4-5k miles and I'll end up paying about 40% less than the Audi Care would have cost.

If you don't know what you're doing then Audi care is the way to go. If you are mechanically inclined then it's not worth it.

I also keep thorough records in case I'm questioned in the future about maintenance.
Monza... how do you reset the service due reminder? If the only way other than dealer is through VAGCOM, then I will have to buy one. I do almost every services myself other than timing belt so Audi Care isn't worth it to me.

Quick Reply: Service due!