A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-23-2016, 04:16 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all:
Print Wikipost

Audi A4 - CVT - Problems????

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A4 - CVT - Problems????

I am considering a 2012 A6 2.0 which comes with the CVT transmission. I have been reluctant to go forward because of previous problems associated with Audis. Since the A4 is one of the main users of this transmission (and problems have popped up on previous models) - I am just trying to learn if anyone has had problems with their CVT. Also, were you reluctant to get a car with the CVT and then after using it decide it was wasted worry. Any information (positive or negative) will be appreciated.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No mechanical problems to report but I can tell you that if I were to I'd it all over again, I would 100% not get a car with a CVT transmission. Depending on how you drive, you may like it or not notice...but personally I can't stand how a CVT drives. I miss the car shifting, it just feels odd to not have that shifting of the gears. It's also not as responsive and feels like a clutch slipping on a manual car when you floor it. "S" mode helps with the feel of shifting and responsiveness but that has its own problems of surging when you give it gas then falling flat on its face as the RPMs drop so abruptly.

Luckily I have paddle shifters in my A4 which I drive in Manual mode so it helps a lot and feels a lot more like a "regular" car.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the CVT overall. I don't care about not "feeling" it shift. In fact I hate the fake shifting it does to emulate regular gears. It's SUPER smooth on the freeway for my daily commute - it's great for passing and making quick speed changes. You don't get that little "jerk" and explosive power when the car downshifts, rather the engine just surges and the car accelerates super smooth.

Downsides: You don't get quattro. It's a little hesitant/slow from a dead stop. Overall it's slightly slower from 0-60 than a traditional clutch (you'd think it'd be a little faster since the RPM can always be at optimum balance). I wouldn't buy the CVT - it's a lease only thing for me - we're putting a lot of torque out and there's no way this thing is going to last 8-10 years
Old 02-14-2012, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

I personally disliked the feel of the CVT in my A4 loaner compared to my 8-spd automatic. For the most part it drove okay, but at low speeds and also in and out of cruising (e.g. when you need to suddenly pass on the highway), the CVT can be frustrating to control. It goes between having way too much power when you "anger" it to 4000RPM and feeling completely dead when you let up on the gas. Also at low speeds, sudden throttle changes seem to confuse it, making the car shudder or even make grinding noises.

In general though, the hesitant/slowness (and flat out dead laggy feel) from a standstill was enough of a turnoff that I'd rather pay the extra to get a real torque converter automatic.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I definitely do not get grinding noise or shuddering at low speeds. It's seriously smooth.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Nostromo
I like the CVT overall. I don't care about not "feeling" it shift. In fact I hate the fake shifting it does to emulate regular gears. It's SUPER smooth on the freeway for my daily commute - it's great for passing and making quick speed changes. You don't get that little "jerk" and explosive power when the car downshifts, rather the engine just surges and the car accelerates super smooth.

Downsides: You don't get quattro. It's a little hesitant/slow from a dead stop. Overall it's slightly slower from 0-60 than a traditional clutch (you'd think it'd be a little faster since the RPM can always be at optimum balance). I wouldn't buy the CVT - it's a lease only thing for me - we're putting a lot of torque out and there's no way this thing is going to last 8-10 years
So you wouldn't consider buying one even though (for the A6) it's about $7,000 less than the 3.0 8 speed?
Old 02-15-2012, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by palermo22
So you wouldn't consider buying one even though (for the A6) it's about $7,000 less than the 3.0 8 speed?
I think they are quite different cars. There are many more differences than just the transmission. With the 3.0T, you obviously get an extra 100Hp, quattto, ventilated rear brakes, standard heated seats, and perhaps some other minor things I am not aware of. Is it worth an extra $8,000? That's for you to answer.

Are you looking for a beautiful midsize luxury car with good performance and excellent gas mileage, or do you also want monster-like performance (for this class of car)? I think the 2.0T is the better choice for drivers who value luxury over performance. Btwy, to me, a 2.0T A6 Premium is far more car than a FWD A4 Prestige.

Of course, having the beastly engine and quattro are nice things to have. You just have to decide if they are worth your $8000.

As far as reliability, a coworker of mine has previous gen 3.2 CVT A6, and he had problems with the transmission. They eventually replaced the electronic module and that mostly fixed things. The CVT may have matured and become more robust/reliable by now. I don't see complaints about recent CVT A4s/A6s, but of course that doesn't mean there aren't any. But at least it is a good sign.

If only they offered a FWD 2.0T A6 with manual transmission That could be the ultimate commute car for me.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by av_audi
Are you looking for a beautiful midsize luxury car with good performance and excellent gas mileage, or do you also want monster-like performance (for this class of car)? I think the 2.0T is the better choice for drivers who value luxury over performance. Btwy, to me, a 2.0T A6 Premium is far more car than a FWD A4 Prestige.
I am looking for a beautiful midsize luxury car with decent performance and great gas mileage - which is why I have turned my attention to the A6 2.0. I thank you for the comprehensive response - maybe, just maybe - the CVT is better in the A6 2.0 and when I 100% believe that I will purchase it.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have a 2002 1.8t with CVT, 120.000 miles, and no problems at all to date. Other than the slow start from stop, I love the CVT for normal effortless driving.

Wife has the 2011 2.0t eight speed, quattro. That car sucks with the terrible integration of the engine/transmission./controls - in that at throttle tip in the car doesn't move for one second, and is not what your mind and foot "tell" the car what to do. Dealer can't do anything about it. Therefore, the CVT is much more satisfying to drive than the current automatic trans. And no problems to date.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by steveracer
Wife has the 2011 2.0t eight speed, quattro. That car sucks with the terrible integration of the engine/transmission./controls - in that at throttle tip in the car doesn't move for one second, and is not what your mind and foot "tell" the car what to do. Dealer can't do anything about it.
I am baffled that this problem has been around for at least 12 years now!

Quick Reply: Audi A4 - CVT - Problems????