Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

RS Grille Install on Q7 (S-Line) -- Pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 05:53 AM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RS Grille Install on Q7 (S-Line) -- Pics

I figured I would start a new thread for the actual install. Ran into an issue, but thought I would post everything below for those that choose to consider this mod. Pictures/details to follow:

Original Thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2840667

-tgt

-RS Grille

-Grille Removal - There are contradicting threads on the forum. Many insist you MUST remove the bumper and there's no way, shape, or form to remove the grille otherwise. This, my friends, is NOT accurate. If you use the search function, you'll find many folks that have removed the grille (and instructions on how to do so). To be honest, this is quite easy. The grille is held on my 8 bolts, and aren't overly difficult to access if you take your time. Once the screws are removed (use the new grille as a guide to quickly see where the screws are mounted), you can simply 'pull' on the grille to release the pressure tabs. I started with the bottom and worked my way to the top. The grille removal took about 20 minutes:

-Painting Bumper Bar - As you can see above, the middle bumper bar/bracket underneath is body color. Didn't want silver showing through the new RS grille so I masked off the area and painted that (Rustoleam) piece flat black:

Masking Removed:

-RS Grille Install - I was all set to pop the RS4 grille on when I ran into the issues. The 'parking sensor' mounts that come already glued/adhered to the grille were pre-installed higher up on the grille than the OEM locations. With this, the sensor mounts (and sensors of course) hit the bumper bar (painted above) and do not allow the grille to be installed/snapped in (pic below):

That said, I'm at a stopping point until I hear from the seller/vendor. Their initial response was that they would send me 'new mounts' that I could install lower. However, as I mentioned above the originals are glued in, so there's no way I can pop them off (if you look at them, I believe I will destroy that portion of the grille if I try and remove). I will certainly update this thread as things work through with the vendor. I'm hopeful to attain an updated grille (not that I've sent the above picture to them with the proper sensor location), but have not heard confirmation from them on this.

With things apart, I did snap a few pictures to get a glimpse of what 'could be' if I get a replacement. I think it looks great, and am eager to get things wrapped up:

Any questions, please let me know. Hopefully this is helpful to those that were considering this....

-tgt

Last edited by tgt; 04-29-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to see the RSQ7 badge is removeable. Looks really nice. Hopefully the seller will have that sensor location resolved. That could be a deal breaker for some. Thanks for the great write up.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:05 AM
LOP
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is notching out the bumper bar in the affected area an option to allow for the sensors?

I would look at that first as it appears to be easy dremel work.

Also, I have adaptive cruise, does it look like this grille will allow for that option?

Thanks so much for the detailed write-up and pictures. Good job.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:13 AM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hey LOP -

I had considered the Dremeling as well. The bumper bar is pretty substantial, so I would prefer to not have to if possible. I agree though, I believe that may be an option if absolutely necessary as it's at the bottom of the bar (where the sensors mount) and the bar is solid plastic.

There are no mounts for ACC on the grille. I don't have ACC, so did not inquire if they would have mounts readily available.

Thanks,
tgt

Originally Posted by LOP
Is notching out the bumper bar in the affected area an option to allow for the sensors?

I would look at that first as it appears to be easy dremel work.

Also, I have adaptive cruise, does it look like this grille will allow for that option?

Thanks so much for the detailed write-up and pictures. Good job.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do new Audi rings come with the RSQ7 grille or did you transfer them over from your original grille? Looks good- hope they can correct the location of the sensor.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:01 PM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

New Audi rings, pre-installed.

-tgt

Originally Posted by Snopyro
Do new Audi rings come with the RSQ7 grille or did you transfer them over from your original grille? Looks good- hope they can correct the location of the sensor.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:09 AM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Quick update fellas. Spoke to the vendor (who spoke to the manufacturer), exchanged pictures, emails, etc. multiple times over the past few days. Long story short, the manufacturer eventually said, "the sensor mounts are held on by 'heat gum', just pull them off....". After being assured I wasn't responsible if I damaged the grille, I went for it. After some substantial tugging, the mounts did pop right off (with no damage/residue to the grille). With that, Grille should be installed with pics this weekend.

-tgt

Last edited by tgt; 05-01-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WoW, that grille looks great! Nice job on the paint detail etc and snapping pics. I installed the grill from ECS quite a few years back. I did not have to remove the bumper.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great work on this mod, can't wait to see the finished product
Old 05-06-2013, 05:02 PM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Wrapped things up this weekend. Not great weather for pictures, but snapped some below. Very happy how it turned out:

Quick Reply: RS Grille Install on Q7 (S-Line) -- Pics