S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Adaptive damping suspension: worth waiting 3 months for?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 05:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adaptive damping suspension: worth waiting 3 months for?

Hi all, looking to lease my very first Audi in the next week or two (before the end of the year, to take advantage of deals), but alas, not a single dealer in the country has my exact configuration! The problem is mainly with adaptive damping suspension...

I was told the only way to get adaptive damping suspension along with everything else I want is to order an S$ from Audi, which would take a few months and would also mean I lose out on current deals. I plan to test-drive an S4 with it and without it this weekend, but I'm concerned that a short drive will not be enough for me to determine its worth.

So, do people think this one feature is worth waiting months for and probably paying a higher price on my lease?

Thanks!
Old 12-17-2014, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

if you want it then its worth it!
Old 12-17-2014, 05:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The standard S4 suspension strikes a good balance between handling and ride quality. In back to back testing I was not impressed with ADS. The comfort mode was not much more comfortable and yet handling suffered. The dynamic mode felt too stiff. Don't forget these dampers are not the state of the art magnetorheological variety offered on many cars today. They are somewhat antiquated and not very effective. If you really care about ride quality get a car with 18" wheels because that makes a much bigger difference in my experience.

The ADS is just not a desirable option and dealers don't tend to stock cars with it. On the other hand the sport differential is highly sought after...although I am not sure how many of us actually benefit from the differential.

HDCS4
Old 12-17-2014, 05:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Rule #1: Don't settle!!
It might bother you every day, and you'll always wonder what could have been.

That being said, I was in a similar situation last month. I really wanted the sport diff and ADS, manual trans, etc... Very hard to find. In the end, I opened up my search to different color interiors and exteriors than I originally planned. I have grown to like my color choices (Daytona Grey with Black/Lunar two-tone leather), and I'm glad I held out for the ADS.

Do you need it? Not really... I'd guess >50% of S4's don't have it. Do I enjoy it? Yes. I play with the settings all the time. I feel that comfort is very comfortable, yet dynamic is tight, but not too stiff.

If you want it, get it... but that's three months of your life you'll never get back! Is there some other part of the configuration you might be flexible on, in order to find one now?
Old 12-17-2014, 06:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HDCS4
..although I am not sure how many of us actually benefit from the differential.

HDCS4
I can definitely appreciate the sport diff, when accelerating through/out of a corner. It is the sensation of a giant hand guiding/carrying your rear end through the turn. Kind of like a 4-wheel steering feel. The key is that you have to be on the gas to feel it, as it sends more torque to the outside rear wheel.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for all the replies. In theory, the sport differential is much more crucial to me than adaptive damping suspension, but again, I haven't compared models with and without these features.

Originally Posted by motorsport_mike
If you want it, get it... but that's three months of your life you'll never get back! Is there some other part of the configuration you might be flexible on, in order to find one now?
Well, not really...I mean, I'm pretty set on the exterior color (Moonlight Blue metallic) and the other major things like the technology package, premium audio, and high-gloss black package. I guess the real thing to do is test-drive, back-to-back, S4s with and without adaptive damping suspension. Sigh!
Old 12-17-2014, 06:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

While I agree with other responses that you shouldn't compromise on what you want in fear never being 100% satisfied, I need to ask the question: "Do you really need active suspension?"

Have you actually driven a car with it causing you to determine the option was something that you could not live without?
--- If so, then I would imagine that the option is worth waiting for.

If your decision is based on pure speculation, then you need to do some homework (drive one, ask people who have/had it) and based on the majority of responses-go with that.

I have ADS "lite" in my car (does it all w/o active suspension) and I love it! I would have liked having active suspension, but I never drove one with it, so I really don't know if it was something I would have actually needed.
Once I found the car that met my needs having all the "must have" equipment, I bought it. It brings a smile to my face every day with zero remorse or regret.
I would imagine you would leave it in one setting all the time anyway, but I dunno.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MerkurRS
Have you actually driven a car with it causing you to determine the option was something that you could not live without?
--- If so, then I would imagine that the option is worth waiting for.

If your decision is based on pure speculation, then you need to do some homework (drive one, ask people who have/had it) and based on the majority of responses-go with that.
I absolutely agree - at this point, my preference to have adaptive damping suspension is based on pure speculation, but this weekend I will actually test-drive the system to see if I can even notice/appreciate the difference!
Old 12-17-2014, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

I love it and would not be without it.

Dynamic great for the mountain twisties.

Comfort great for around town and highway driving at legal speeds ...real fast you want Dynamic. Over 80 mph.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PhilNotHill
I love it and would not be without it.
+1 Very noticeable difference in ride/handling with the adaptive suspension settings…very much use and enjoy being able to change the setup.

Quick Reply: Adaptive damping suspension: worth waiting 3 months for?