Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Coolant Level Low Alert

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 04:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Level Low Alert

Hey all, just thought I would pass this along in case anyone else runs into it.

I have a 2015 S3 with 7500miles on it and last night got a low coolant level alert. I was less than a mile from home so I went home and let the car cool down and checked the coolant level. Low and behold it was low and just barely covering the sensors. This morning I stopped at the dealer on the way to work and they said there was a TSB about this and the solution is just to top it off. Seems Audi didnt\doesnt make sure all the air is of the system from the factory (pretty lame if you ask me) and it settles out over time.

This is the second TSB Ive had for my car already in the first year and Im not sure what to make of it. The first was an ECU update for the cylinder pressure being read as too high on some of them. On a positive note Audi seems to care about addressing these issues so I guess that's a plus.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

S3Tom; I had a low coolant level warning light too recently but it was due to my own doing. I did an APR ECU tune on the car about 7 months ago and got the APR carbon fiber intake at the same time. With the intake, a coolant hose going from the engine to a junction in the coolant system had to be rerouted somewhat. APR just came out with a new turbo inlet pipe to accompany the nice intake and a replacement for that oddly routed coolant hose. Well when you change the hose, some coolant does leak out. And I did something wrong on the first install attempt and I lost a bit more coolant on the second install. Low coolant light went on when I ran the car and I semi freaked a bit. Didn't think I'd lost that much coolant but it was enough to trip the sensor. Fortunately easy to top off. Glad Audi worked with you to get your situation correctly quickly.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've had the low coolant alarm go off about 3 or 4 times in my ~27k miles. Every time it has only taken about 3-4 ounces of water to fill it to the brim.

The alarm is WAY too sensitive!
Old 01-22-2016, 02:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mej16489
I've had the low coolant alarm go off about 3 or 4 times in my ~27k miles. Every time it has only taken about 3-4 ounces of water to fill it to the brim.

The alarm is WAY too sensitive!
3 or 4 ozs X 3 or 4 times sounds like a leak.
Our Ford powered motorhome was using 3 or 4 ozs every long trip, second dealer knew exactly which hose would be leaking.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I had a coolant leak in my 2015 A3. I can't recall what they replaced; it was either a cracked reservoir or some y-pipe. They thought it was one of those first, but ended being the other. Also experienced the misfire/lack of power/CEL issue. That was scary. Hoping I'm not plagued with any issues on the 2016. Knocking on wood! But, so far, love the car!
Old 01-26-2016, 07:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think the dealer was right in my case. I see no sign of leaking and the level is holding steady since they topped it off.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by S3Tom
Hey all, just thought I would pass this along in case anyone else runs into it.

I have a 2015 S3 with 7500miles on it and last night got a low coolant level alert. I was less than a mile from home so I went home and let the car cool down and checked the coolant level. Low and behold it was low and just barely covering the sensors. This morning I stopped at the dealer on the way to work and they said there was a TSB about this and the solution is just to top it off. Seems Audi didnt\doesnt make sure all the air is of the system from the factory (pretty lame if you ask me) and it settles out over time.

This is the second TSB Ive had for my car already in the first year and Im not sure what to make of it. The first was an ECU update for the cylinder pressure being read as too high on some of them. On a positive note Audi seems to care about addressing these issues so I guess that's a plus.
Thanks for the thread, checked my coolant and lo and behold it was low (below the "min" line) as well. Got it topped off, hopefully doesn't drop any more.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Air in system

I have had this over the past 3 years from new too, I have found it gets a random air block which doesn't allow the coolant to rise in the tank so the sensor thinks there's no coolant. It's very annoying,I have found by stopping & undoing the cap to release the air cures it as the coolant level then rises. Be careful not to let it go too high though!
Old 03-30-2017, 01:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've gotten the coolant message 3 or 4 times over the last couple of months. Florida dealer couldn't find a problem. Thought it was just burping air. Happened again last week and I took it back to the dealer in Mass. that I bought it from. They replaced expansion tank. Hopefully, will not get message again.

Should mention that both dealers took me in immediately without an appointment. Very pleased with the service.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

When I brought ours in for the 25K service, I mentioned the coolent level warning had come on. When they checked they found a leak in the Water Pump. They replaced the Water Pump and Thermostat under warranty.

Quick Reply: Coolant Level Low Alert