A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 4.0 Engine Vibration MUST READ!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A8 4.0 Engine Vibration MUST READ!!!

Hello fellow members. I just signed up for this forum to let everyone know of a problem I'll bet a lot of you are experiencing. Last summer I purchased a 2013 A8 after a short test drive. I was coming from a 2011 that was getting up in miles. After I got the car delivered and really got a chance to drive it, I noticed a very noticeable vibration at certain times. I originally thought the transmission was slipping and figured, who cares, that's why I bought a certified vehicle. So I figured I would drive it till it gets real bad then bring it in when there's no way they can say they don't feel it.

But it felt more like an engine vibration and I drove around with it for a while trying to troubleshoot it. I noticed that it appeared at around 3000 RPM. Then one day I decided to just leave it in neutral and rev the engine to 3000 RPM and BINGO! there it was, clear as day. The funny thing was if I revved it higher it went away. So I was wondering if it could actually be the engine itself being out of balance, which I would think would get worse at higher rpm's than better. Which made me think it might have something to do with the active engine mounts which are supposed to impart a vibration counter to the vibration that happens when the car slips into energy saving mode and only uses four cylinders.

To make a long story short, I recently totaled the car (I'm ok and couldn't believe it was totaled after such a small impact). So I started looking for a replacement. Wouldn't you know it, but EVERY A8 I drove from 2013-2015 with the 4.0 engine had that vibration at 3000 RPM. When I pointed it out to the salesmen riding in the car with me they all felt it and said things like "I thought it was just the road we were driving on". But it was clearly felt by everyone.

I finally googled "Audi A8 vibration at 3000 RPM". See the link to a PDF with a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=183808 .

I WAS RIGHT!! There is a known issue with vibrations at 1000 and 3000 RPM. Why and how this TSB was not applied automatically to any car that goes in for service is beyond me. And I'm not even sure the fix actually works.

So I ended up purchasing another 2013 that has the same problem and told them I want the TSB applied. Even if it doesn't work I still want the car because I love it and I ruled out the other two major manufacturers. But to think that you can spend 100K on a car and have to live with an engine vibration it absolutely crazy!

So now that you all are aware of this, we have to all get on Audi's case if this problem can't be fixed by applying the TSB.

I look forward to hearing other people's experience with this problem.
The following users liked this post:
09S5 (12-28-2021)
Old 02-06-2016, 08:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting this.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Link didn't work for me.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by RED HORSE
Link didn't work for me.
Try this one.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Have no such vibration issue on my car. Seems that it's a glitch in the engine mount control module software that shuts off the vibration cancellation when the cylinder deactivation engages. Caused by any service work done that involves the car's two electrical system control modules---Apparently can be caused by simply recoding the keys. I'd think the fix on the TSB should resolve the issue.

Here's the link that seems to work:
Download Rate Exceeded

Last edited by derfA8L; 02-06-2016 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88
Thanks. Doesn't cover mine.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by H Wilson
Hello fellow members. I just signed up for this forum to let everyone know of a problem I'll bet a lot of you are experiencing. Last summer I purchased a 2013 A8 after a short test drive. I was coming from a 2011 that was getting up in miles. After I got the car delivered and really got a chance to drive it, I noticed a very noticeable vibration at certain times. I originally thought the transmission was slipping and figured, who cares, that's why I bought a certified vehicle. So I figured I would drive it till it gets real bad then bring it in when there's no way they can say they don't feel it.

But it felt more like an engine vibration and I drove around with it for a while trying to troubleshoot it. I noticed that it appeared at around 3000 RPM. Then one day I decided to just leave it in neutral and rev the engine to 3000 RPM and BINGO! there it was, clear as day. The funny thing was if I revved it higher it went away. So I was wondering if it could actually be the engine itself being out of balance, which I would think would get worse at higher rpm's than better. Which made me think it might have something to do with the active engine mounts which are supposed to impart a vibration counter to the vibration that happens when the car slips into energy saving mode and only uses four cylinders.

To make a long story short, I recently totaled the car (I'm ok and couldn't believe it was totaled after such a small impact). So I started looking for a replacement. Wouldn't you know it, but EVERY A8 I drove from 2013-2015 with the 4.0 engine had that vibration at 3000 RPM. When I pointed it out to the salesmen riding in the car with me they all felt it and said things like "I thought it was just the road we were driving on". But it was clearly felt by everyone.

I finally googled "Audi A8 vibration at 3000 RPM". See the link to a PDF with a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=183808 .

I WAS RIGHT!! There is a known issue with vibrations at 1000 and 3000 RPM. Why and how this TSB was not applied automatically to any car that goes in for service is beyond me. And I'm not even sure the fix actually works.

So I ended up purchasing another 2013 that has the same problem and told them I want the TSB applied. Even if it doesn't work I still want the car because I love it and I ruled out the other two major manufacturers. But to think that you can spend 100K on a car and have to live with an engine vibration it absolutely crazy!

So now that you all are aware of this, we have to all get on Audi's case if this problem can't be fixed by applying the TSB.

I look forward to hearing other people's experience with this problem.
SO I am not crazy I noticed it too, just took delivery of my 2013 yesterday. What do we do? How much does this cost if Audi won't apply the fix?
Old 02-07-2016, 07:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had a terrible vibrating at 1k rpm and 3k rpm. They took care of the 1k vibration by adjusting the exhaust. However my 3k shudder is still there. i am gonna print this and take it in.

what they have tried
1. stationary tcm reprogram
2. dynamic tcm reprogram
3. engine mount software update.

It seems to help a little, but always comes back, how does not tell if it is intact a software issue or hardware?

iI have been to the dealer 4 times for this issue, all Audi dealers try to convince you that the problem does not exist. Its only when you loose your **** on them that they will actually address the issue. This is the number one issue I may never buy another Audi again.

I have owned numerous new MB, Bmw and Lexus cars, never have any of there service advisors blatantly Lie about issues. It could be a mandate sent from corporate VG group, after the whole dieselgate ficascal i would not be the least bit surprised.

Oh and my car also has the tie rod end noise as well as the harmonic noise at speeds above 70mph, my dealer conveniently cannot replicate them. So i gave up after the 4th attempt. truthfully I love this car but super frustrating knowing that the dealers do not have your back!

End Rant
Old 02-07-2016, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I haven't got my car delivered yet so don't know if the TSB was applied or fixed it. What I don't understand is why ANY time someone takes a car with this engine in for ANY service, they wouldn't just automatically do a quick check for the problem and apply the fix automatically (assuming it works). It costs absolutely nothing to check, and they don't even have to drive the car. Rev it to 3000 RPM and if they feel a vibration, try the fix! It's just that simple. I guess we have to see how many people actually have the problem, and if it can't be fixed start a class action suit or something of that sort. Like I said before, I wouldn't want that on a $15,000 car let alone a $100,000 car. I wouldn't even mind if they could deactivate the active mounts as well as the 4 cylinder thing. I would rather spend a few extra dollars on gas than deal with a vibration. But the person I spoke to said that's impossible, and I know that's a lie. It might not make the car get the mileage they report, but at that point, who cares?
Old 02-07-2016, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by H Wilson
I wouldn't even mind if they could deactivate the active mounts as well as the 4 cylinder thing. I would rather spend a few extra dollars on gas than deal with a vibration. But the person I spoke to said that's impossible, and I know that's a lie. It might not make the car get the mileage they report, but at that point, who cares?
Well, even if it were technically possible, I can see where it would be "impossible" for an Audi dealer to perform that deactivation of the variable cylinder setup. The 4.0T engine is certified for sale (in the U.S. Market) by meeting government CAFE emissions and mpg standards, which requires the cylinder deactivation. Mess with that and the car is no longer "legal," and no Audi authorized service department will do that...nor service the car, if they discover it has been done. And kiss any warranty you have goodbye.

Last edited by derfA8L; 02-07-2016 at 01:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rcgray001 (11-22-2020)

Quick Reply: A8 4.0 Engine Vibration MUST READ!!!