A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8L HEADLINER LEAKING...

Old 02-06-2016, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default A8L HEADLINER LEAKING...

Hello Forum.

My 2012 A8L sunroof may be leaking.

I was going through the car wash last week and noticed the roof center console started leaking when the car wash was going through its rinse cycle.

Needless to say I was shocked.

Today, I ran bottles of water down the front corner drain tubes. The water seemed like it was flowing freely.

When I poured the water at the center of the sunroof frame, the center console started leaking again.

Am I dealing with a faulty sunroof frame, or is there a drain tube at the center of the sunroof.

As anyone had this problem with their A8?

Any assistance/advice anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Do you have the dual or single sunroof?

In either case, I'd open up the sunroof and check for any debris or rubber that looks degraded. Assuming everything looks perfect, close it and see that it closes tight, with all the seals uniformly flush. I wouldn't recommend dumping any more water on it, given the amount of electrics in the car, and that what you see leaking may not be the only place water is running to. Although it may be good while it's open to try to see if there is any indication of where water is coming in.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have a single sunroof.

Regarding the debris, when I opened the sunroof and pressed the diffuser down I didn't see any noticeable debris in the sunroof.

When I closed it, it looked like the sunroof closed OK. But I didn't put any paper or any between the seal and the body to see if the seal was tight.

Regarding the electronics, that's what I was freaking out about. I was worried that my overhead lights were going to short our or even my microphone.

I'm taking it to the shop Sunday night to have them look at it. I'm hoping it's just an adjustment issues.

The last thing I want them to have to do is to have to drop the headliner.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Update.

So the cause of my problems was a crack in the windshield seal. They replaced the windshield and now I'm having acc problems.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

oh lord, fix one thing, causes another issue. sorry to hear it. hopefully Audi will take care of it.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks, but I'm not holding my breath on that one. I love the car, but it's times like this that **** me off.

Oh well. The woes of owning a high end European car.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield leak

Greetings, I'm a new(well used-2011) Audi owner and I love the car! I just experienced the same thing with water dripping off the overhead console. I too thought it was the roof. I bought a borescope to look inside the roof once I dropped the overhead console and saw nothing. Tried dumping buckets down the channels with the roof open, and nothing. Over the weekend I left the car outside and we had a wet snow. Well, oddly enough the cupholders had about an inch of water. I got up Monday with full intention to go to the dealer when I figured I would give it one more try to find the leak. Tried the roof first - nothing. Then for the heck of it I poured water across the top of the windshield and watched it rain inside the car.
Got a new windshield yesterday and sure enough it was pulled away from the seal on the top. The windshield tech actually could move the glass up and down in the top center. So it's sitting in the garage curing. Hopefully all is well now!
Old 01-06-2017, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2011 A8 windshields leaking

Originally Posted by stickman1970
Update.

So the cause of my problems was a crack in the windshield seal. They replaced the windshield and now I'm having acc problems.
I have the same issue. Water literally pouring in above passenger seat at headliner and windshield. As mentioned in other posts...I can simply push on the windshield at top and see the glass move at two different points. Really a poor repeating issue for such a nice car.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fencerider
I have the same issue. Water literally pouring in above passenger seat at headliner and windshield. As mentioned in other posts...I can simply push on the windshield at top and see the glass move at two different points. Really a poor repeating issue for such a nice car.
Has the car ever been hit? The windshield is epoxied to the body. The seal is usually pretty foolproof, but things can go off the reservation if the car has been hit or if you have a replacement windshield.

Best,
Old 01-06-2017, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Leaking Windshield

Originally Posted by Ritz
Has the car ever been hit? The windshield is epoxied to the body. The seal is usually pretty foolproof, but things can go off the reservation if the car has been hit or if you have a replacement windshield.

Best,
should be straight. Was one owner dealer serviced local car for 4 years. History was all clean. Have had it a year and no leaks. All sudden a month ago went to get in it had water pool in passenger floorboard. Just don't know

Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A8L HEADLINER LEAKING...