A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMI Screen auto open/close disable

Old 02-26-2016, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts
Default MMI Screen auto open/close disable

Been wanting to do this for a while and have the option of being able to hold it in the open position.

After upgrading my mmi software and enabling the visual parking aid, the constant clattering whirr of the screen opening and closing whenever the park system enabled was driving me crazy.

There's no software or coding option to do it so I referred to the wiring diagrams to trace which module the open/close motor wires come from. The two wires trace back to module J520 which is located under the carpet in the passenger footwell. So I inserted a small on/off switch from autozone in one of the motor wires coming out of this module (the blue/white one). I then cut a small slit in the footwell carpet above where I put the switch just big enough for me to push my finger through to operate the switch when needed. The slit is totally invisible and then hidden under the floor mats. Took about 20 mins to do the job.

It works perfectly, and my screen is now permanently open. Should I feel like re-enabling it, I just need to flick the hidden switch over to the on position and it's back to normal.

Happy peaceful days.

Last edited by dvs_dave; 02-26-2016 at 03:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by dvs_dave:
audinutt (10-11-2022), maw1124 (09-13-2023)
Old 02-26-2016, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always had an interest in doing this also for those same reasons! Any possibility you can post some pics showing how exactly you got this done? Thanks
Old 02-27-2016, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure what you mean, when I start the car the screen opens and it stays open until the engine is shut down and the ignition is off, the only way the screen will be closed during running is if you press the button to close it, which I sometimes do when driving at night .

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Been wanting to do this for a while and have the option of being able to hold it in the open position.

After upgrading my mmi software and enabling the visual parking aid, the constant clattering whirr of the screen opening and closing whenever the park system enabled was driving me crazy.

There's no software or coding option to do it so I referred to the wiring diagrams to trace which module the open/close motor wires come from. The two wires trace back to module J520 which is located under the carpet in the passenger footwell. So I inserted a small on/off switch from autozone in one of the motor wires coming out of this module (the blue/white one). I then cut a small slit in the footwell carpet above where I put the switch just big enough for me to push my finger through to operate the switch when needed. The slit is totally invisible and then hidden under the floor mats. Took about 20 mins to do the job.

It works perfectly, and my screen is now permanently open. Should I feel like re-enabling it, I just need to flick the hidden switch over to the on position and it's back to normal.

Happy peaceful days.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by haggisuk
Not sure what you mean, when I start the car the screen opens and it stays open until the engine is shut down and the ignition is off, the only way the screen will be closed during running is if you press the button to close it, which I sometimes do when driving at night .
Same here. Unless he means he doesn't want to hear it when he starts the car or shuts it down???
Old 02-27-2016, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

I wanted the screen to always be open, even when you turn the car off.

The mechanism is clattery and noisy and I find it annoying. If you have the visual parking aid, RVC, or phone, the screen will also open and close by itself for each of these functions too, even with mmi off.

I live in a city so do lots of short trips and don't always want or need the radio or MMI on. So for me the damn thing was up and down like a yo yo, even when I didn't want it, on a mission to annoy me and also to strip it's gears and break as fast as possible. That's why I have made this mod. It's also something that has been asked about many times on this board over the years. Just no decent solutions with an on/off of the function ever came up.

Last edited by dvs_dave; 02-28-2016 at 06:14 AM.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike141
Any possibility you can post some pics showing how exactly you got this done? Thanks
Yes, please. Not sure if wiring same in A6, but I too have wanted to do this for the opposite reason --- I would prefer it if the screen never came up, unless I needed it to for some reason. One of the many reasons I bought the Audi over other makes was that the screen could be put away. Thanks.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

This is great for if/when the plastic gearing cracks causing the horrible noises and screen sticking midway. Just disable the motor wiring with the screen in the up position until you can replace the gearing or complete mech.

Thank you for this thread dvs_dave
Old 02-27-2016, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Ok I get it now
Old 02-27-2016, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

I'll post a more detailed "how to" with pics as soon as I can.

With respect to the A6 platform, I imagine the same concept would work, but I don't know the specific wiring color or module location information.
Old 02-28-2016, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chokboywonda
Ok I get it now
Me too 👍🏻

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MMI Screen auto open/close disable