Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Remote Starter

Old 03-03-2016, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Starter

I know the lack of a remote start has come up in prior threads. Looks like someone put one into a 2017 Q7.

Don't know much more than it is some sort of Viper device.

Interesting that he is opening the car with the Viper key. I would hope you could still use your normal key.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

That's really good to know. I have a Viper remote start installed in my 2012 Q7. I emailed Viper about the 2107 Q7 and this is what they said:

We develop firmware for new vehicles after they are released. We cannot forecast when the firmware for your vehicle will be completed and available. Please contact a local authorized dealer in your area for more information on installation options for your specific vehicle.

I have not contacted a local dealer yet. My 2017 will come in early May. I won't be needing the remote start until it starts to get cold again. But good to know that someone is already getting it working in the 2017s.

As for how the Viper works in the 2012 Q7... It works pretty much like the video shows. If the car is locked and then remote started, you must use the Viper FOB or the physical key to unlock it. (Or, I assume, the smartphone app, but I don't have the smartphone module in mine.) When not using the remote start, the car behaves as if the Viper was never there, you can still use your normal key, and everything works normally. I've had the Viper in my 2012 Q7 for 2 years now, and it's worked flawlessly.

If getting the Viper, I would strongly recommend using a Viper installer that's both a Preferred Dealer and Connect Car Certified by Viper. Certainly not Best Buy. BTW, if you don't know, when you get a Viper installed, they must cannibalize one of your keys. You could save the physical key from the cannibalized one, but if you need two key fobs, you would have to buy another (not cheap) one from Audi.

If anyone gets a Viper remote start installed in their 2017 Q7, please post the details. Among interesting things to know would be how much overlap is there between Viper smartphone app functions and Audi Connect remote control functions, and do they play nicely together.

Last edited by RickObe; 03-04-2016 at 05:41 AM.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 2017 Audi q7. is there a remote starter i can get for it?
Old 07-15-2016, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ggcaudi
I just bought a 2017 Audi q7. is there a remote starter i can get for it?
I was happy with the Viper unit in my 2012 Q7. As you see below, apparently someone has put a Viper in a 2017. However, they did it without Viper approved vehicle-specific firmware. My local Viper dealer refuses to attempt an installation until Viper releases the firmware for the 2017.

Here's the reply I got from Viper yesterday after my latest query:

Thank you for contacting Directed. We currently do not have a solution for your vehicle. We recommend checking back with us in 90 days and we should have an update for you.

Please contact Viper and ask them about the 2017 Q7. We need more people to be asking so they see that there's demand and get the firmware done. Here's their contact form:

Contact Viper
Old 07-15-2016, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I heard Installing a remote starter would void the warranty. Is it worth taking this risk even though this feature is good to have?
Old 07-15-2016, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ven7782
I heard Installing a remote starter would void the warranty. Is it worth taking this risk even though this feature is good to have?
False, It will not void the warranty unless the dealer can prove the failure is due to the remote starter and if the failure is due to the remote starter it will only void that part not the complete warranty.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thought the remote MMI app would start the car?
Old 07-15-2016, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if that video can make a remote starter from viper bypass Audi's disabling the key fob while car is running, i bet a VCDS tweak could do the same for us commoners who want to lock our cars while its running.
Old 07-16-2016, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
False, It will not void the warranty unless the dealer can prove the failure is due to the remote starter and if the failure is due to the remote starter it will only void that part not the complete warranty.
Correct! For further info, see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act

Last edited by RickObe; 07-16-2016 at 05:06 AM.
Old 07-16-2016, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dhc8guru
Thought the remote MMI app would start the car?
You would think so, right? But NOOOOO, Audi will not put remote start functionality into their MMI app. Never have, never will.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remote Starter