Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Dash Cam

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Dash Cam

I installed a dash cam in my car. It is a Viofo A118C that I bought from gearbest.com for $52. Shipping from China took 2.5 weeks.

VIOFO A118C 1.5 inch H.264 1080P Novatek 96650 Capacitor Battery Car DVR Dash Cam-51.55 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com

For $52, I think everyone should have one to help you avoid getting scammed in a car accident.

This dash cam runs on capacitors, instead of lithium ion batteries which can catch fire if they overheat. However, because I just plugged it into the rear cigarette lighter, it switches off with the car, so it will not record while parked.

It is very small and attaches directly to the windshield with double-sided tape. I tucked the power cable under the headliner, around the A-pillar and tucked under the outside rubber door seal, down the fuse panel, under the floor mat to the rear cigarette lighter.

[EDIT] Changed to go down windshield, to prevent interference with side curtain airbags.

Last edited by newmoon; 05-02-2016 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I've always considered a dash cam as a driving record. So no need to have it working when parked. If you want camera recording while parked I consider that a security system. Usually when parked you're in a stall with concrete curb in front or parking lot with one car in front of you, so not much value when only one camera pointing forward, but that's just my opinion.

I've seen dash-cams with front and rear cameras that I liked on Ebay. That would be a better security system if you can get it working while car is turned off.

I was not satisfied withe the Dash-Cam units available so I built my own security system and wired it to infrared motion detector for now. My custom system monitors front, rear, left and right.

But there was alot of wiring involved and much trial and error research on best cameras for the job. Easiest is one of those front/rear systems with rear camera tied into main unit mounted on front windshield.

Nobody Panic!!! This is just my opinion.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...alled-2895119/
Attached Images  
Old 04-11-2016, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah I saw your system and thought that was a bit too hardcore for me, but props to you for doing it! How much did it cost altogether?
Old 04-11-2016, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

A while ago I mention that a lot of cars had cameras and they should be incorporated into the existing system. I read last week that at least one manufacturer has now done it but I don't remember who it was.
The after-market dash cam days are numbered.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by newmoon
I installed a dash cam in my car. It is a Viofo A118C that I bought from gearbest.com for $52. Shipping from China took 2.5 weeks.

VIOFO A118C 1.5 inch H.264 1080P Novatek 96650 Capacitor Battery Car DVR Dash Cam-51.55 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com

For $52, I think everyone should have one to help you avoid getting scammed in a car accident.

This dash cam runs on capacitors, instead of lithium ion batteries which can catch fire if they overheat. However, because I just plugged it into the rear cigarette lighter, it switches off with the car, so it will not record while parked.

It is very small and attaches directly to the windshield with double-sided tape. I tucked the power cable under the headliner, around the A-pillar and tucked under the outside rubber door seal, down the fuse panel, under the floor mat to the rear cigarette lighter.

That's neat. I just installed a Blackvue DR650GW-2CH on my A6. It has both front and rear view cameras. Best thing about it is the cloud access app. The camera has its own wifi so so you view live feeds from the dash cam. It aslo has a GPS to show where the car is at any time. With my Audiconnect wifi, I can always view where the car is as soon as it's started. I did however bought a mobile wifi and a T-power plus. The T-power plus provides uninterrupted power supply to both the dashcam and the mobile wifi so there's continuous coverge. There's a mobile app that provides notofications. The camera has motion sensors and parking mode recording. It's the best dash cam in the market right now. The set up is very simple. I did a plug and play with the T-power plus in my trunk connected to the 12V outlet. Connected to that are both the dash cam and the mobile wifi. The T-power plus can hold charge up tp 48 hours. With both the dash cam and wifi device drawing power from it when the car is parked, it can last up to 24 hours. You can buy it from Amazon or directly form the manufactures on ebay. It ships from South Korea. I purchased mine for $245 last year with a 16g memory can which I replaced with a 128g.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
A while ago I mention that a lot of cars had cameras and they should be incorporated into the existing system. I read last week that at least one manufacturer has now done it but I don't remember who it was.
The after-market dash cam days are numbered.
I can't understand why it has taken this long for the car manufacturers to get on board. Pretty much everything they need is already there to begin with.

I think everyone should have one to help you avoid getting scammed in a car accident.
That's what happened to me when I first got this car and that is the reason both my wife's and my car have them now. I will never own a vehicle a without one again.

Last edited by DanfZX14; 04-11-2016 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Here is a screenshot from the video.

The original resolution was 1920x1080 x 30 fps. There is a 1280x720 x 60 fps mode but the downsampling filter was quite bad so the resolution looked much worse.

It's quite clear, but license plates are usually only readable within 20 feet. No motion blur even with cars traveling across the field at 50 mph. Field of view is very wide.

Exposure and dynamic range are quite good, even with the sun in the side of the frame.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Here is a screenshot from the video.

It's quite clear, but license plates are usually only readable within 20 feet. No motion blur even with cars traveling across the field at 50 mph. Field of view is very wide.

Exposure and dynamic range are quite good, even with the sun in the side of the frame.
It appears tough to read a license plate, even at 20 feet, when the two cars in the foreground don't even have one
Old 04-12-2016, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
It appears tough to read a license plate, even at 20 feet, when the two cars in the foreground don't even have one
That's because he's in Florida. I could tell because he posted his location under his avatar.

Nice job on the camera. Hope you never have to use the recording.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will need one of these. Recently I have been stressed/pressured by aggressive ladies driver during morning peak hours. Yes, you heard it right! One lady passed me in a double solid lines and a dash cam will be helpful. These ladies want to rush getting to office but not willing to wake up earlier. Very irritating.

Quick Reply: Dash Cam