Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Phone Mount Solution

Old 05-17-2016, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Phone Mount Solution

I had been searching for a way to mount my phone where I could see it if needed (rarely) and not have it laying in the rubber tray (which is where I put my sunglasses).

There is really no place to put a suction cup mount in this vehicle, other than up on the windshield which I really don't like. So I came up with this and thought I'd share.

I modified an iOttie phone mount to remove the suction cup portion, keeping just the mount itself and the square tube that holds it. The mount can be found here:

Amazon.com: iOttie Easy One Touch 2 Car Mount Holder for iPhone 6s Plus 6s 5s 5c Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge S6 S5 Note 5 4: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: iOttie Easy One Touch 2 Car Mount Holder for iPhone 6s Plus 6s 5s 5c Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge S6 S5 Note 5 4: Cell Phones & Accessories

The first two photos show the location of the final result. It can be moved up and down to find the optimal location that neither interferes with the driver's right knee nor the dash buttons and trackpad.

The next photos show the mount's receiver with the mount removed. It is not necessary, but I used a band saw to cut off the plastic hinge parts that remain at the bottom of the mount when you remove it from the suction cup mechanism. Then I taped it to the sidewall using 3M body tape. Over 1000 miles, it shows no signs of letting go but can be removed without leaving a trace when desired.

The final photo shows how the cord is attached in the armrest compartment, using minimal space, and then routed under the side trim up to where the phone mounts. The USB 90 degree adapter can be found here:

Amazon.com: RuiLing 2-Pack, Super Speed USB 3.0 Vertical Left Angle and Right Angle Adapter USB 3.0 Male to Female 90¡ãAdapter Coupler Connector.(Black): Computers & Accessories Amazon.com: RuiLing 2-Pack, Super Speed USB 3.0 Vertical Left Angle and Right Angle Adapter USB 3.0 Male to Female 90¡ãAdapter Coupler Connector.(Black): Computers & Accessories

(Amazing how much dust collects in 1000 miles. Fortunately, it doesn't look nearly as bad when not enhanced by the camera flash!)

Sorry there are no pictures with the phone in the mount since it was the phone I was using to take the pics. :-)
Attached Thumbnails Phone Mount Solution-img_3421.jpg   Phone Mount Solution-img_3439.jpg   Phone Mount Solution-img_3422.jpg   Phone Mount Solution-img_3423.jpg   Phone Mount Solution-img_3424.jpg  

Phone Mount Solution-img_3429.jpg   Phone Mount Solution-img_3442.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Turboale (07-26-2022)
Old 05-17-2016, 11:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

McGyver is back! I used the CD slot on my Q3 to mount the cellphone holder. I was wondering how will I get it to work in the Q7. Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-17-2016, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice install! I am a fan of ProClip. Here is the 2017 Q7 vehicle mount. I like their move clip system which allows me to have a single device mount but use it with any of my vehicles that have a vehicle mount.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by hcubed
Nice install! I am a fan of ProClip. Here is the 2017 Q7 vehicle mount. I like their move clip system which allows me to have a single device mount but use it with any of my vehicles that have a vehicle mount.
I looked at ProClip and very nearly bought it. But I didn't like blocking the vent. Now that summer is almost upon us, I'm glad I didn't.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RickObe
Then I taped it to the sidewall using 3M body tape. Over 1000 miles, it shows no signs of letting go but can be removed without leaving a trace when desired.
Hello RickObe,

Thanks for the detailed instruction. Can you please let me know which "3M body tape" did you use? I find the following on amazon:
Amazon Amazon

But it seems to me it will be very difficult to remove later if needed.

Many thanks.
- suanccd

Last edited by suanccd; 02-21-2017 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I had been searching for a way to mount my phone where I could see it if needed (rarely) and not have it laying in the rubber tray (which is where I put my sunglasses).
With all the phone integration, CarPlay, Android Auto, etc., what is the need to have your phone handy these days?
The following users liked this post:
pearlpower (07-30-2022)
Old 02-21-2017, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bkafrick
With all the phone integration, CarPlay, Android Auto, etc., what is the need to have your phone handy these days?
I have an iPhone. I find Apple CarPlay not very useful. I don't like its music interface. The podcast app I use doesn't work with CarPlay. But mostly, I always use Waze for traffic and hazard reports, and that's the main reason I want my phone viewable.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by suanccd
Hello RickObe,

Thanks for the detailed instruction. Can you please let me know which "3M body tape" did you use? I find the following on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BO913C/

But it seems to me it will be very difficult to remove later if needed.

Many thanks.
- suanccd
The tape roll in the picture looks the same but not sure about the package. When I get back to my shop, I'll look at the roll and see if there's a number on it. Unfortunately, I don't have the package any more. Bought it at Advance Auto Parts, I believe. Will post back if I find a number.

In any case, I would think this stuff would come off okay if carefully rolled off and residue removed with goo gone.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went this route and have been extremely happy. Works excellent with an iPhone 7+
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by PROEDGEBIKER.COM; 02-21-2017 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an iPhone. I find Apple CarPlay not very useful. I don't like its music interface. The podcast app I use doesn't work with CarPlay. But mostly, I always use Waze for traffic and hazard reports, and that's the main reason I want my phone viewable.
Thanks for your data, RickObe. I'm very bummed that CarPlay doesn't support Waze - which crushes Apple Maps! Typical Apple. Not pleased that I'll be mounting my phone with all the electronics of the new Q. The Q's electronics support Google Maps, who own Waze, but not Waze!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Phone Mount Solution