Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Breaking in your MKII - how have you done it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 08:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breaking in your MKII - how have you done it?

Hello all, I know there are plenty of sites that tell you modern cars these days do not require break-in period and you should drive it normally (i.e. as you would on HWY or roads) excluding maybe taking it to the track.

How have you guys done broken in your new Q7? Anything to share the dealer may have told you?

I'm getting mine in 1.5 months and I am considering taking it on a roadtrip (from Toronto to NY) pretty much a week or less after getting it. Bad idea or no issues?

Appreciate the feedback. Thanks!
Old 06-04-2016, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

I drove 800 miles close to home and then took it on a 1200 mile road trip. I hate the miles I have on it now, almost 5,000, but love the time I have spent in the car.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

The manual says how to break it in...well the one I read online did:

Driving General information
Breaking in
A new vehicle must be broken in, and the break-in distance should be 1,000 miles (1,500 km). Do not drive at speeds that will exceed 2/3 of the maximum permitted engine speed (RPM) for the first 600 miles (1,000 km), and avoid full accel-eration during this period. You may gradually start increasing the RPM and the speed between 600 miles (1,000 km) and 1,000 miles (1,500 km).
During the first hours of use, the engine has a higher internal friction than later on when all moving parts have settled into place with each other.
How the vehicle is driven during the first 1,000 miles (1,500 km) also affects the engine quality. Drive at moderate engine speeds after the initial break-in period, particularly when running a cold engine. This will reduce engine wear and improve the mileage. Do not drive at too low of an engine speed (RPM). Shift down when the engine no longer runs "smoothly". Extremely high engine speeds are automatically reduced.

Last edited by Dasaint; 06-04-2016 at 10:35 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

I've broken in two 3.0Ts. With the the first one (2010 S4), I followed Audi's recommendations, and the car would use oil at about the rate of 1L/10000 km. For the 2013 Q5, I used a modified version of the Motoman technique which involves running the engine to redline (without WOT), taking your foot off the throttle and allowing the car to slow down through the compression of the engine. You do this from day 1, and only after the engine is completely warmed up. I never saw any signs of oil consumption with that engine.

If you search Audiworld there are discussion in multiple forums with regards to engine break in. I will use the same technique with the Q7 as I did with the Q5.

Last edited by NABS4; 06-05-2016 at 04:53 AM.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NABS4
I've broken in two 3.0Ts. With the the first one (2010 S4), I followed Audi's recommendations, and the car would use oil at about the rate of 1L/10000 km. For the 2013 Q5, I used a modified version of the Motoman technique which involves running the engine to redline (without WOT), taking your foot off the throttle and allowing the car to slow down through the compression of the engine. You do this from day 1, and only after the engine is completely warmed up. I never saw any signs of oil consumption with that engine.

If you search Audiworld there are discussion in multiple forums with regards to engine break in. I will use the same technique with the Q7 as I did with the Q5.
The fact that the car comes with synthetic oil when we receive the car doesn't cause any issues with this break-in process? I've read that this process isn't effective with synthetic oil - too slippery. Are you having the dealer put standard oil in?
Old 06-05-2016, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

I've only ever experienced oil consumption on a new car with my old B5 S4... and I babied that car during break-in.

Since then, with every new car I've had from BMW M's, AMGs, various Audis, to some american and japanese cars, I've just driven it normally in mixed city/highway driving and mashed the throttle whenever I felt like it once the engine was warmed up. I've had no oil consumption issues with any of these cars since they were new until I sold or traded them in, and they've all been mostly trouble-free in terms of the powertrain.

I will be driving the Q7 no differently than I drive any other new or old car as soon as I pick it up from the dealership. So essentially, no "break-in" procedure at all.
The following users liked this post:
kiavash55 (12-13-2019)
Old 06-05-2016, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by jmbird07
The fact that the car comes with synthetic oil when we receive the car doesn't cause any issues with this break-in process? I've read that this process isn't effective with synthetic oil - too slippery. Are you having the dealer put standard oil in?
No, and I doubt any dealer would provide any oil that isn't approved (non-synthetic). I'll probably change the oil at 3k mi and then go for the "free" one whenever that is (it used to be 5k mi, but I think that's changed for '17.. 10 k mi now?) . I don't know anything about the Motoman technique not working with synthetic oil, however my personal highly scientific results with a sample size of 2, shows it to be effective.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the response everyone.

Whats' the MKII's RPM when cruising on the hwy at 75-80MPH and is that below the '2/3 of the maximum permitted engine speed (RPM)' number?

Thanks,
Adnan
Old 06-05-2016, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawk09
Thanks for the response everyone.

Whats' the MKII's RPM when cruising on the hwy at 75-80MPH and is that below the '2/3 of the maximum permitted engine speed (RPM)' number?

Thanks,
Adnan
I don't know where the RPM would be, but it would be safe at that speed. I don't recall the Q7s redline, but say it's 6,000; 2/3s is 4,000 which you will never hit cruising on the highway at legal speeds.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
I don't know where the RPM would be, but it would be safe at that speed. I don't recall the Q7s redline, but say it's 6,000; 2/3s is 4,000 which you will never hit cruising on the highway at legal speeds.
Agreed. Thanks for the validation!

Quick Reply: Breaking in your MKII - how have you done it?