A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Optimal sound settings

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Optimal sound settings

The upgraded B&O sound system has a lot of speakers but not a lot of configuration options. Besides the obvious treble/bass setting, there's also a Surround and 3D setting (which honestly sound too similar to have separate settings). Can anyone really speak to what these do? Are some of the speakers not even engaged unless you turn on Surround/3D?
Old 07-19-2016, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like those are the only options. Minor tweaks. I loved the sound system in my 2012 with the B&O. I can't wait for this one!
Old 07-19-2016, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I turned off the 3D sound. It just sounded too artificial.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BiscuitEmbryo
I turned off the 3D sound. It just sounded too artificial.
Same here. Something was just not right about it.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I like the 3D - surround is 2D distribution of sound in the horizontal plane. 3D distributes sound above and below the plane to fill out the soundstage more. It works for me.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bluetail
Same here. Something was just not right about it.
I still cannot tell the difference. Much preferred the old A4 B&O though
Old 08-23-2016, 01:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I turned off 3D because it made rock/metal sound terrible. I'll admit that it makes mainstream music (think top 20 charts) sound better though.

I also lowered surround level all the way, which I'm not sure was the right thing to do yet but my music and bass sounds much more natural with both of those off. I haven't checked closely yet but I'm hoping lowering surround level doesn't actually reduce volume in the "surround" speakers and simply reduced an artificial surround effect.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zillerkaz
I haven't checked closely yet but I'm hoping lowering surround level doesn't actually reduce volume in the "surround" speakers and simply reduced an artificial surround effect.
This is my concern as well. A lot of the speakers are listed as surround and I'm wondering how much they are utilized with little to no surround engaged.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Arkive
This is my concern as well. A lot of the speakers are listed as surround and I'm wondering how much they are utilized with little to no surround engaged.
Although my thought is that if it sounds better, regardless of how many speakers are engaged, then what does it really matter?

I love SO many things about my B9, but the B&O system is not one of them. I feel like the 3d/surround settings sound artificial, and I really dislike not having the ability to customize mid-range frequencies. Really, Audi? Just bass and treble?
The following users liked this post:
TT-S4 (10-05-2022)
Old 11-30-2016, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewInMO
I love SO many things about my B9, but the B&O system is not one of them. I feel like the 3d/surround settings sound artificial, and I really dislike not having the ability to customize mid-range frequencies. Really, Audi? Just bass and treble?
I agree. I just got a brand new A7 yesterday and even though it has the same Bose as in my old 2013 A6, it sounds so much better and louder than the B&O in my A4. Wonder why have 19 speakers when (?)14 does it much better.
I did fiddle around a bit with the B&O but couldn't find a setting that I liked. Might have to spend more time on it. The A7 sounded excellent right out of the dealer's lot. And yes. I've heard that the Bose isn't great in th A6/A7 but for me, I think it's pretty decent.

Last edited by VipinLJ; 11-30-2016 at 07:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Optimal sound settings