TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Rattling/squeaking sound in top passenger rear seat corner

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling/squeaking sound in top passenger rear seat corner

Has anyone noticed a sound coming from the top passenger rear seat corner while driving?

It sounds like something loose or two pieces of plastic rubbing.

While driving I've tried pulling the rear passenger seat belt, dropping down the rear passenger seat (thinking it might be the latching mechanism that locks the seat in), hold/pushing on the rear panel that covers you trunk.

None of which stopped it.

The next thing I'll have to do is have someone drive the car while I'm back there to try and find it.

It's driving me crazy always hears a rubbing sound in my right ear coming form the back corner while I'm driving.

If the road is super smooth like newly paved it's not there, it just when the road get even a little uneven/bumpy.

Also, it happens are any speed.

There should be NO rubbing sounds on a car this expensive
Old 09-08-2016, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I had that with one of the backseat latch bars on my allroad (a known issue). I wrapped some thin foam around it (yoga matting) and that did the trick. But I agree that these things should have been designed out of a premium vehicle.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a known issue with the rear seat release failing.
It is some kind of cable and pulley system, I would look there.

The other known issue is related to the rear compartment privacy shelf, I would drive with that out for a test.
See this link for more:

The Audi TT Forum :: View topic - rear parcel shelf TT
Old 09-08-2016, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks. That's what I'm going to try today. Car is getting tinted so removed the shelves when I dropped it off, so I'll be driving it back without them.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I hear the same squeak, too. But only occasionally. Passenger side, back seat hinge.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

At the hinge at the bottom of the seat or at the locking mechanism at the top?

It's not the locking mechanism because I put the seat down and it's still coming from that corner and it's not the seat belt retract mechanism either.

I think I'm going to have to do a back seat drive to figure it out.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

It's not the trunk covers, removed them for the drive home and still there.
So still searching. It might be the plastic trim around the trunk lid. I opened it and rocked it back and forth and it squeeks. So going to try and put something into it to jam it over and see it that fixes it.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lain
It's not the trunk covers, removed them for the drive home and still there.
So still searching. It might be the plastic trim around the trunk lid. I opened it and rocked it back and forth and it squeeks. So going to try and put something into it to jam it over and see it that fixes it.
The last thing that comes to mind is the hatch stop rubber bumpers, a lot of early buyers had to adjust them.
This usually presents as clunking coming from the hatch but could just allow enough movement to squeak.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I just developed this rattle/squeak in the right rear quadrant. As others, I investigated the seat latching, parcel shelf, hatch trim, etc. to no avail.

Then I noted some had mentioned the hatch bump stop so I did a bit of an experiment by placing a standard garden hose rubber washer in the right-rear recess, only. Then drove a good distance, in all driver select modes, over bumps and several railroad crossings. Voila, all again quiet. So that must be it. Will next investigate a stop adjustment (lengthening same a bit), although the washer is unobtrusive and if I'm lazy ....

By some had mentioned I include of course the ever helpful Can_Quattro.

Last edited by Huey52; 10-20-2016 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I finally got around to lengthening the hatch passenger side bump stop. Simply removed the molded casing and then unscrewed the stop a bit. Temporary washer removed and still quiet.

Originally Posted by Huey52
I just developed this rattle/squeak in the right rear quadrant. As others, I investigated the seat latching, privacy/parcel shelf, hatch trim, etc. to no avail.

Then I noted some had mentioned the hatch bump stop so I did a bit of an experiment by placing a standard garden hose rubber washer in the right-rear recess, only. Then drove a good distance, in all driver select modes, over bumps and several railroad crossings. Voila, all again quiet. So that must be it. Will next investigate a stop adjustment (lengthening same a bit), although the washer is unobtrusive and if I'm lazy ....

By some had mentioned I include of course the ever helpful Can_Quattro.

Quick Reply: Rattling/squeaking sound in top passenger rear seat corner