TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

2017 TT or TTS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 11:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 TT or TTS?

First off, new guy here looking for some guidance.

I have a 2015 C7 and a 2015 tuned Mini Cooper S.

Love to drive the Mini as it's fun and peppy around town. Great to dart away from stop lights on just basically have fun throwing it around in traffic.

Thought my C7 would be a lot of fun too, but find it to be too overpowered for the fun driving I have in the Mini. So I find myself using it as a blvd. cruiser more than a sports car.

I want a second car that puts a smile on my face like the Mini does (and not buy a second Mini.

Drove a BMW M2351 and found it to be a nice car, but too sedan like for me.

Wife saw a TTS in a parking lot and fell in love with it. I thought it looked great and if the seats rear seats fold, I should have about as much usable space as I have in the C7. Size-wise closer to the Mini than the C7 too.

Question being, I can afford the TT or the TTS. I'm wondering if either Audi will give me some of the "hot hatch" fun I have in the Mini or will it be more like the C7. Based on size alone, the TT's at 2 inches narrower and at least a foot shorter than the C7. So size-wise it puts in a more compact package than the Corvette.

TTS has more power and performance goodies (plus the appearance). The TT is slower, but w/ the torque numbers @ 1600 RPM the TT should be a really peppy car. Still wondering if either will get be close to driving fun of the Mini Cooper?

Anyone with some real world experience for comparison, would be greatly appreciated.

Going to head to the dealer and spend some time going over the interiors and features of both before we test drive. C7 is a great car for the money. Exceptionally fast and has a nice interior too. Just too much of a brute for my type of driving.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just so happens I have a 15 MCS (stock, sport auto) and a 16 TTS. I also have a high powered manual trans car for weekend stuff.

Go for the TTS, great usable power for the street. Relatively speaking, not crazy fast, but usably quick in all street settings.

The TTS has a much higher refined fun factor vs the MCS. It is significantly faster than the MCS, but not so much that you need constant attention to manage the power.

In fairness, I have not personally driven a TT.

Hope that helps. Ed
Old 09-21-2016, 12:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the response Ed.

My Mini has the JCW tune and lightweight wheels. Car is likely 6.0 0-60 (maybe 5.9) with the upgrades.

Was thinking a TT at 5.3 would also be noticeably quicker.

I've come to realize that torque @ the RPM is where the you really feel the performance gains. 220HP w/ 258 lb ft of torque at 1600 RPM is going to really going to register on the old "Butt Dyno". While 292HP of the TTS tends to get everyone's attention, the 280 Lb Ft of torque at 1900 (only 22 more than the base) is overlooked.

No one will argue the 1/4 mile times and 0-60 times differences between the TTS and TT, but for those quick bursts in traffic (zipping and scooting)....the TT should perform quite nicely. Maybe better than the TTS with torque coming online earlier in the RPM range. Dunno. Test drive will speak volumes.

My Mini is producing something like this result based on an identical car that was dyno'd
Wheel Horsepower: 206.53 whp
Wheel Torque: 236.99 ft-lbs
Crank Horsepower: 231.31 bhp
Crank Torque: 265.43 ft-lbs

If Audi is anything like BMW/Mini, their engines spec's are conservative as shown below:
2015 MCS Published Numbers:
Crank Horsepower: 189 bhp
Crank Torque: 207 ft-lbs

Dyno'd numbersWheel
Horsepower: 188.03 whp
Wheel Torque: 229.36 ft-lbs
Crank Horsepower: 210.59 bhp
Crank Torque: 256.88 ft-lbs

I'll likely get the TTS just because I'll regret not getting the extra HP and the appearance stuff. LOL
Old 09-21-2016, 01:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you have the slightest interest in a roadster given you're in SW Florida, the TT would be worth additional consideration for that reason alone.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by USA-RET
I'll likely get the TTS just because I'll regret not getting the extra HP and the appearance stuff. LOL
[/I]
Pretty much the only reason I got the TTS over the TT was not wanting to leave the Hp on the table, and related not wanting to again go the tuning route after a bad prior experience. Your point is well taken that the TT's torque is substantial and in traffic no more needed. I would however point out the TTS' magnetic fluid suspension as a very nice discriminator.

I've driven my daughter's Mini a number of times and it is indeed go-cart like fun. The TT is more refined and polished as you would expect.

btw: I recently compared the length of my TTS to a buddies C7 and from the front to the back window almost identical, but then the C7 has a much bigger trunk area making it a good deal longer overall. As he crudely put it "you've got no ****."

I think you'll be happy with either. And if you happen to go Roadster it will of course be TT.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Had same dilemma
Was not looking for real sports car and TT would be plenty fast for me. Also TT does have softer ride.
Looking at rpm vs torque curve looks like at 1600 rpm they produce similar torque but TTS of course can produce more at higher rpm
Straw that really tipped my decision towards TTS was the fact that Daytona grey is not available on TT as a standard
Still waiting for delivery at this point
Old 09-21-2016, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just went through the same decision process. My best advice is drive them back to back. I went TTS. Its just a sharper tool all around. The only downside to the TTS over the TT AFAIC is the short 6th gear/higher highway revs. For me, the motor was the least of it, though it does feel freer at higher revs. The brake pedal was far better, cornering was even more enjoyable and the sport display was something which I simply had to have over the standard VC view modes. Oddly, after my first back to back test drive of the TT and TTS, I walked away with the impression that the S was screwed together a little better. Not that the TT was bad, but the S just felt more of a piece. Might be down to the mag vs steel suspension, dunno, but I was surprised enough that I went to another dealership, did it again with two different car and came away with the same reaction. YMMV, but in the end the S seemed worth the extra 7Gs over the way I would have built the TT. I, too, am waiting for hopefully a mid-November delivery.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also came from a C7 and decided to get a TTS. I had a 3LT Stingray. I loved the power the vette had but several things were not up to par. It developed rattles and squeaks, the leather felt similar to cardboard, and the rocker panels and wheels were chipping badly. I understand what you are saying about the fun factor of a hot hatch. Before the vette I had a R32 which was a blast. Driving the vette I missed the build quality of a German car. I am very happy with the TTS. Good luck!
Old 09-21-2016, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

In my opinion an issue to consider is that in the US there is no S line package for the TT.
This of course is a personal choice, but I couldn't live with the non S line nose.
And the base TT has the least sporty suspension option in the TT range.
Thankfully we have this option in Canada.
Attached Thumbnails 2017 TT or TTS?-image.jpeg  
Old 09-21-2016, 07:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

One way to fix TT nose would be to go with black optics package 😜
Looks sweet, but needs Daytona grey to really stand out imho

Quick Reply: 2017 TT or TTS?