A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Premium Plus Worth It for B+O?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 09:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Premium Plus Worth It for B+O?

The only reason I would ugrade to Premium Plus would be the B+O system. I tried the standard system on my test drive, and it sounded okay, but the bass was weak. Salesman was rushing me, so I had to go with what I could find on the radio, and I couldn't find anything representative of what I play in the car--I pretty much listen to 60s and early 70s music. Is the stock system competent to handle this kind of stuff pretty well?

I'd have to special order a Premium Plus car without most of the options in order to not pay for the tech package and other things I don't want. I'd rather negotiate a deal on a car that's on the lot, if I can, so my question isn't so much, "is the B+O good?" as it is, "is the stock system bad?"
Old 09-26-2016, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

If you own the car and not lease it then the standard system may actually be a better basis because it's easier to upgrade (no dealing with MOST/fiber optics amplifiers). An additional bass speaker with amplifier in the back and some new speakers in the doors/dashboard may make all the difference. If you are not planning on upgrading the sound system yourselves then I would recommend to go with PP and B&O and don't look back.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

I haven't listened to the stock system but IMO the B&O system is fantastic. It blows away the B&O system in my '15 S5 and may even be a bit better than the Mark Levinson system in my '13 GS. To my ears, it is the best stock system I've ever heard.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

The reason I chose to upgrade to the Premium Plus was for the ability to get the virtual cockpit with the Tech Package and for the LED headlights. Do realize that you also get a few things standard that are optional on the Premium, like the 18" wheels and heated seats. If you don't care about those things, I would say it's probably not worth it to upgrade since you will be paying for those things in the price of the Premium Plus.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Decided to go with the Premium Plus for the B+O.

Only problem: I want to stick with 18" wheels, but I like the 10-spoke design on the base model better. The 5 spoke look good, this is just a matter of personal taste. I may have to special order the car in order to get the options I want, and just those options, anyway. Does anyone know if it's possible to special order the 10-spoke wheels? Or could the dealer swap them for me when the car arrives?
Old 09-27-2016, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by mb220
Decided to go with the Premium Plus for the B+O.

Only problem: I want to stick with 18" wheels, but I like the 10-spoke design on the base model better. The 5 spoke look good, this is just a matter of personal taste. I may have to special order the car in order to get the options I want, and just those options, anyway. Does anyone know if it's possible to special order the 10-spoke wheels? Or could the dealer swap them for me when the car arrives?
Can't get them from the factory, but a dealer may just swap them with a premium that they have in stock. Depends on the dealer.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
Can't get them from the factory, but a dealer may just swap them with a premium that they have in stock. Depends on the dealer.
Thanks. Guess I could aways buy a set of 10 spokes and sell the ones that come on the car, or trade with another forum member.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had my A4 for 4 months now and I must admit that initially, I was OK with the B&O sound system, but not blown away. My wifes XC90 has an excellent B&W sound system in it and I had felt that it was superior to my A4's B&O system.

However, after 4 months of use and many hours of stereo time, I have changed my mind. The B&O system in my car has steadily gotten better and better and I would say that it rivals my wifes B&W system and in some cases surpasses it. The A4's compact interior helps with this and I now notice that the XC90's spacious interior makes it feel a bit airy when the A4's tight and crisp. both my wife and I have the exact same 128gb usb drives with duplicate flac music files, so it's easy to compare the two.

I'm quite happy with the A4's B&O sound system now. I would say that you should give the speakers a month or two to "break in" before judging the upgraded A4 sound system because at least in my case, it's just gotten better and better.

On a side note, I prefer to have all the sound processing disabled (3d, etc.)
Old 03-25-2017, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Yup. I agree with acruxksa. Initially, I was wondering why everyone was praising the B&O when I thought it sounded ordinary and the Bose in my old A6 was better. Everyone then asked me to let it break in before I judge it and I did. And damn. It is like a totally different system now. It sounds lovely. Everything is nice and crisp and tight. One of the best systems I've heard. Absolutely worth it.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

B&O just gets better and better. Brand new sounded mediocre. At 20 hours of use sounded much better. At 100+ hours of use now sounds fantastic. Crystal clear and great bass. So much better than the premium system on my A5.

Quick Reply: Premium Plus Worth It for B+O?