A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

CTS Turbo Trans Mount installed

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts
Default CTS Turbo Trans Mount installed

On my previous cars I had the whole set of inserts installed: Trans mount and Diff inserts(Front/Rear). Unfortunately, the A4 had different designs so I couldnt use the set I already had. For those of you who dont know what these do, they reduce the movement in the respective rubber connections.

I saw that CTS Turbo came out with the trans mount first so I decided to try it out.

This is an extremely easy install as long as you have the right tool. Youll need an M9 Star key. I got a whole set as Audi uses different sizes around the vehicle. Once you have that tool you are looking at a 5 minute install.

Get the car in the air(ramps or lift preferably) and look in the middle of the car pretty much directly below where the shifter would be. Youll see these two star bolts holding in a solid block of metal. I honestly dont even know what this block design does as it is not like on my other Audis. Its honestly silly once you see the design of the CTS Turbo mount.

Remove the two bolts and take off the block. The new mount will slide in over the rubber on the trans. I found that spraying it with some wd-40 made it much easier to install. Any lube will work though, but trying to install it without any will make it very difficult so just trying to help out. You can see in the bottom two pictures without a mount installed and then with the CTS mount installed filling all the gaps.

Then just tighten the bolts back down. Theres no instructions or torque specs so I just tightened it back down to where I thought it was as tight to remove in the first place.

And thats it! I havent driven the car yet but Im expecting to notice a little more solidity in the shifts.
Attached Thumbnails CTS Turbo Trans Mount installed-img_20161013_114801.jpg   CTS Turbo Trans Mount installed-img_20161013_114153.jpg   CTS Turbo Trans Mount installed-img_20161013_114234.jpg   CTS Turbo Trans Mount installed-img_20161013_114710.jpg  

Last edited by HyperS4; 10-13-2016 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the photos. Would be cool to hear what your driving experience is like and if you noticed a difference.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Same here. Thanks for the install insight and photos. My A5 has a ton of drive line slop so it would def benefit from this mod. When I test drove the B9 I really didn't notice any drive train slap/slop. 4 cyl engines normally have a ton of NVH so I wouldn't doubt if Audi installed really soft mounts. Interested in hearing your critique of this mod.

Last edited by up-n-coming; 10-13-2016 at 10:59 PM.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Ok so the one thing I noticed from the A4 to my S6 with the same transmission is in the A4 you can't really feel the gear changes. Then I realized I had the inserts in the S6 the whole time.

I took it out for a quick drive last night and now I can definitely feel a little more "snap" in the gear changes. That being said, if you're going slow you don't feel it as much. But if you romp on it you feel it more.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Do you have ramps at home? How did you manage to get underneath?

I called a zillion car shops around where I live and no one was willing to do it either because the car is brand new (and they asked me to take it to Audi) or because they had no idea how to. I even told them I could provide them with a PDF and instructions but no. And I found a few who would do it but they are asking for anywhere between $150-250 and say they charge by the book and that's what the dealer says a swap costs!!!! Looks like I'm stuck with a mount and no means to install it myself.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
Do you have ramps at home? How did you manage to get underneath?

I called a zillion car shops around where I live and no one was willing to do it either because the car is brand new (and they asked me to take it to Audi) or because they had no idea how to. I even told them I could provide them with a PDF and instructions but no. And I found a few who would do it but they are asking for anywhere between $150-250 and say they charge by the book and that's what the dealer says a swap costs!!!! Looks like I'm stuck with a mount and no means to install it myself.
Yeah, I have these https://smile.amazon.com/Race-Ramps-...rds=race+ramps They work awesome!

But honestly, even if you use a good floor jack and then use a jackstand for safety you can do it easily. It is literally a 5 minute job once its in the air.

I feel bad for you, those places you called are crooks. If I lived by you I would do it for free thats how easy it is. And I normally charge to work on peoples cars out of my garage.

Last edited by HyperS4; 01-23-2017 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by HyperS4
Yeah, I have these https://smile.amazon.com/Race-Ramps-...rds=race+ramps They work awesome!

But honestly, even if you use a good floor jack and then use a jackstand for safety you can do it easily. It is literally a 5 minute job once its in the air.

I feel bad for you, those places you called are crooks. If I lived by you I would do it for free thats how easy it is. And I normally charge to work on peoples cars out of my garage.
I know. I told them it's literally a 5 minute job and yet they say they need atleast 1.6 hrs (idk how they got 1.6, not 1.5) to do the job. Another place said 3-4 hrs. Even when I told them it takes 10 minutes at most!!!

Btw. Those ramps you have. Does it get the car high enough?
Old 01-23-2017, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Btw. Those ramps you have. Does it get the car high enough?
Oh yeah, enough room to even be on a creeper underneath. Depends on the car though, if I was working on an R8, probably not able to get under with a creeper. What is great about them is you can remove the ramp part which makes moving around underneath so much easier. When I installed exhaust on a couple cars that feature came in handy. I replaced an old pair of metal ramps that I literally had for 20 years. These are so much better because they are MUCH lighter and have a longer ramp for lower cars.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by HyperS4
Oh yeah, enough room to even be on a creeper underneath. Depends on the car though, if I was working on an R8, probably not able to get under with a creeper. What is great about them is you can remove the ramp part which makes moving around underneath so much easier. When I installed exhaust on a couple cars that feature came in handy. I replaced an old pair of metal ramps that I literally had for 20 years. These are so much better because they are MUCH lighter and have a longer ramp for lower cars.
Yup. I might as well buy these since they cost as much as what these guys ask me for labour! It'll help when I went to swap it out with the stock mount too.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yup. I might as well buy these since they cost as much as what these guys ask me for labour! It'll help when I went to swap it out with the stock mount too.
Every good "shadetree mechanic" should have a nice set of ramps. Its an investment that will last forever essentially.

Quick Reply: CTS Turbo Trans Mount installed