A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

2005 Audi A6 C6 Sunroof Headliner Springs, Hooks replacement - Sunglass Removal, more

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 12:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 323 Likes on 272 Posts
Default 2005 Audi A6 C6 Sunroof Headliner Springs, Hooks replacement - Sunglass Removal, more

Symptoms: Rattling noises in sunroof, sunroof headliner/glass roof jammed/not moving; sunroof not opening/closing correctly

Cause: Sunroof headliner's holding hooks for tension springs may have broken

Solution: Replace broken hooks and springs with improved repair kit: 4F0 898 255 (Kit includes 4 hooks, 4 springs and 4 T15 Torx screws)

TSB #2010952/3

What you need
- Repair kit 4F0 898 255. I bought mine here: https://www.ecstuning.com/ES392946/
- T25 Torx long screwdriver
- T15 Torx screwdriver
- A piece of cloth
- 2 towels
- A chair or any supporting surface
- Pliers
- (Optional) Another pair of hands. I do recommend during sunglass removal/install.
- (Optional) G 052 141 A2 Special Lubricating Paste and Alcohol.

Vehicle: 2005 Audi A6 C6 3.2 quattro AWD

In my case, there was just a rattling noise in the sunroof when driving on rough pavement. Three of these springs fell off the sunroof over a 12 months period.

Get your guide sheet ready

Unlock the car and open the two front doors

Slide your sunroof headliner to the back

Grab your key and turn the ignition on. No need to start the engine.

Put your sunroof into the vent position.

Turn the ignition off and remove the key

Remove the accordion piece hiding the hardware on each side. Gently grab and pull the top 3/4 part towards you. The accordion piece is held in three places shown in pictures below. The bottom 1/4 part just sits on its rail. Once the top part removed, pull it up and the piece will be free.

Showing the accordion three hooks and where they hook in.

Place each accordion piece on its corner of the vehicle to avoid swapping them.

Grab your T25 Torx screwdriver and remove the three Torx screws on each side of the sunroof.

A flexible screwdriver can be helpful but a normal one is fine too.

Showing one screw

Once the 6 screws removed, depending on the adjustment of your sunglass, it may drop lightly.

Showing the 6 screws.

I marked the alignment at each screw location just in case.

Place a towel on a support. I used a chair.

Here is when an extra pair of hands can be helpful. I did it alone and it got awkward but here is the trick: Placing a towel next to the sunroof on top of the car is a good idea. Place one palm inside on the glass and the other palm outside on the glass and lift it up. Now gently drop the glass on the towel beside the sunroof opening and while still holding it with your outside hand, take your inside hand out of the car and grab the glass properly.

Place the glass on the support.

Showing the car with the sunglass removed.

Shut the sunroof headliner but not totally. Stop when you feel some tension.

Showing the hooks. They are all broken and the fourth tension spring is nowhere to be found.

The sunroof headliner reference. Sorry it's upside down.

Showing my three old tension springs.

Showing the repair kit

Grab your T15 Torx screwdriver and unscrew the four broken hooks in the sunroof headliner.

Grab your pliers and remove any hook broken pieces. Look well.

Get your repair kit ready.

Install the four new hooks using your T15 Torx screwdriver. The TSB says to torque the screws to 1-1.2 NM / 8.8-10.6 inch pounds. I didn't have a torque tool so I just tightened well enough but not too much.

Install the new springs. After hooking one side of the spring, you will have to hold the sunroof headliner firm in place to be able to pull the spring and hook it onto the other side.

Springs installed.

Push the sunroof headliner back in.

It's a good idea to lubricate the sunglass seals while it's out and free of any blockage. I also thought about lubricating the guides but they were fine and well lubricated.

I first used alcohol and a piece of towel to clean off the sunglass seal of dirt and old product.

Cleaned.

I used the VW group recommended lubricating paste G 052 141 A2 to lubricate the sunglass seal.

I cleaned the contact part on the car too.

Time to place the sunglass back. Place a towel on top of the car, next to the sunroof. An extra pair of hands is more than helpful here too.

Install the sunglass and adjust it. Once placed, get into the car and make sure the placement is well done. Check around the screws holes. The holes location on the sunglass should not be visible to you when placed correctly. They should sit behind the holes in the sunroof mechanism on each side.

Place back the screws on each side and tighten a bit keeping in mind that the sunglass will be misaligned and that you will have to adjust it.

Grab your key, turn the ignition on and close the sunroof. Leave the ignition on.

As you can see here, the sunglass is not properly aligned.

Aligning the sunglass is easy. Enter your car and loosen a bit the 6 screws. Now push the glass slightly up, check the alignment outside on top and tighten the screws one by one after adjusting each side. I made it alone but having somebody outside checking the alignment while you are pushing out and screwing from the inside can be helpful.

I didn't have a torque tool and I didn't know the torque specs so I just tightened well enough but not too much.

Sunglass properly aligned.

Test the sunroof and the headliner. Put the sunglass into vent position. Turn the ignition off.

Place the accordion piece back on each side. Start with the three hooks, then push the bottom part down, behind the rails facing you. Make sure it sits well.

Test again the sunroof to make sure everything works well.

With a piece of damp cloth, remove dirt off your sunglass.

You're done

Last edited by kelisko; 11-14-2016 at 10:24 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by kelisko:
Cobra357 (06-05-2020), das60 (05-20-2020), Gabriel Rueda (05-13-2020), Void20 (10-02-2021)
Old 11-08-2016, 12:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your DIY'rs are amazingly informative.
& your willingness to take on challenging maintenance & repairs is inspiring. It is what enables you to have such a fine vehicle.
My hat is off to you. Keep it up!

Last edited by LarryJa; 11-09-2016 at 05:33 AM.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by LarryJa
Your DIY'rs are amazingly informative.
& your willingness to take on challenging maintenance & repairs is inspiring. It is what enablrs you to have such a fine vehicle.
My hat is off to you. Keep it up!
I appreciate
Old 11-08-2016, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice write-up, and great pictures.

Was all that info in the TSB? Where did you find it?
Old 11-08-2016, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, I'm new to the group, but excellent writeup!!

Greg
Old 11-08-2016, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Kelisko,

Fantastic write-up and are you sure that you didn't know that I was looking at doing exactly this over the winter break? The coincidence is astonishing, since just yesterday I noticed that the sunroof headliner was not consistently tilting up, when I tilted the sunroof. So I figured the springs/hooks finally went.

Thanks again and keep up the great contributions!
Old 11-09-2016, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by iaflyer
Nice write-up, and great pictures.

Was all that info in the TSB? Where did you find it?
Thanks!

The info in the TSB is very shallow and limited to the kit install. No details and no guidance on how to remove the sunglass and get there. Google uberlame + the TSB number and you'll find it.

I found guidance on the Internet without pictures of the removal of the sunglass on another older Audi model which wasn't exactly for the C6 but was helpful.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Greg Elmassian
Wow, I'm new to the group, but excellent writeup!!

Greg
With more than a hundred posts already, you are not so new anymore
Old 11-09-2016, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by raj99
Kelisko,

Fantastic write-up and are you sure that you didn't know that I was looking at doing exactly this over the winter break? The coincidence is astonishing, since just yesterday I noticed that the sunroof headliner was not consistently tilting up, when I tilted the sunroof. So I figured the springs/hooks finally went.

Thanks again and keep up the great contributions!
Haha good for you! And you're welcome
Old 11-14-2016, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This morning, driving to work from visiting a friend, 100 miles away, I took note of the sunroof noise above 80mph. I guess I'll be reviewing ths thread carefully. Lol!!!
You're always one step ahead of me, my friend.

Quick Reply: 2005 Audi A6 C6 Sunroof Headliner Springs, Hooks replacement - Sunglass Removal, more