A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Does anyone else experience a constant rattling noise?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 12:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone else experience a constant rattling noise?

There is a constant rattle (not significant but enough to be an annoyance) around the area where the garage door buttons/sos buttons are. Does anyone else experience this?
Old 11-08-2016, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

No rattle. Quiet as a tomb.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AndrewT1993
There is a constant rattle (not significant but enough to be an annoyance) around the area where the garage door buttons/sos buttons are. Does anyone else experience this?
I've got this same noise. Did you ever get yours looked at? It's triggered by uneven joints in concrete pavement for sure - my wife and I were fortunate (?) enough to find a really bad stretch of pavement this weekend and pinpointed the rattle to the overhead console.

I thought of disassembling it myself, but I haven't had a good look at it yet.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I once got freaked out by how quiet it is. True story.

Why would you disassemble yourself. What's warranty for? Given you might be far away from a dealership. So lucky to have a dealership 5 minutes from my house and the other 5 minutes from my work.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyin' SV
I've got this same noise. Did you ever get yours looked at? It's triggered by uneven joints in concrete pavement for sure - my wife and I were fortunate (?) enough to find a really bad stretch of pavement this weekend and pinpointed the rattle to the overhead console.

Might be worth switching to 255/35/19 when the stock tires wear out. That little bit of extra sidewall can make or break rattles in a car. Of course that's easy yo do if you own the car but tougher if you lease because returning the car with the wrong size tires can be a chargeable item. The fact that Audi always used to put 255/35's on 19x8.5" wheels makes me think they may over look it especially if you buy another Audi when returning the lease.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by munsabin
Why would you disassemble yourself. What's warranty for?
I like taking things apart - I always have - but I don't like messing around with trim panels until I know where/how they attach, because I don't like buying new ones I've broken. I'll either bring it in for the rattle, or mention it at my 10k service, one or the other, unless I take it apart first.

Originally Posted by up-n-coming
Might be worth switching to 255/35/19 when the stock tires wear out. That little bit of extra sidewall can make or break rattles in a car.
Yeah, this is definitely something loose. While I understand the impact of a stiff sport suspension and low profile tires, this has been rattling since the first drive - it's obviously something loose. This replaced a Jetta TDI that was quiet as a mouse after 109k miles on OEM 17s, which were +1 from the base tire/wheel package - not apples to apples, but I would expect, if anything, the suspension and tires to have a cumulative effect, more than something rattling from day 1.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Flyin' SV

Hey just wanted to let you know that I brought it to my local dealer today. The technician test drove the vehicle and immediately noticed the rattling noise. They took removed the home link areas and applied rattle tape to the areas that they heard a rattle from. I'll pick up tomorrow and let you know if it is fixed.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Update: Got the car back and it is now rattle free. According to the service sheet. The rattle was caused by the roof electronics. They applied rattle felt tape around the roof electronics and now the car is as quiet as ever.

Rattles are only covered for the initial 12 months so I suggest anyone who has rattles to get the car in for a check.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Update: Got the car back and it is now rattle free.
Thanks for the update! I'll likely add this to the first service, unless I find another reason to stop by the dealer.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had no idea that Audi covers rattles for only the first 12months. This is my first Audi and as temperatures are dropping I am noticing more rattles. Is this for the US market?

Update: Got the car back and it is now rattle free. According to the service sheet. The rattle was caused by the roof electronics. They applied rattle felt tape around the roof electronics and now the car is as quiet as ever.

Rattles are only covered for the initial 12 months so I suggest anyone who has rattles to get the car in for a check.

Quick Reply: Does anyone else experience a constant rattling noise?