Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Does anyone hear a noise when they stop/accelerate?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Does anyone hear a noise when they stop/accelerate?

Hi folks!

I just received my Prestige Q7 last week and am loving every bit of it. Over the weekend I noticed a faint popping noise (I'm terrible at describing noises) when I would come to a stop and when I accelerate. My wife thinks that the sound is coming from the driver side but I think it's towards the rear. Has anyone else experienced this or something similar? I have an appointment with the dealership but it's not for another week. I'll also try to record the sound and post it later this evening.

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2016, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by UKAudi2408
Hi folks!

I just received my Prestige Q7 last week and am loving every bit of it. Over the weekend I noticed a faint popping noise (I'm terrible at describing noises) when I would come to a stop and when I accelerate. My wife thinks that the sound is coming from the driver side but I think it's towards the rear. Has anyone else experienced this or something similar? I have an appointment with the dealership but it's not for another week. I'll also try to record the sound and post it later this evening.

Thanks!
Yup, mine has done it since day one. Never been an issue as far as causing any problems. Car has to be pretty quiet inside to hear it (radio down, no loud blowing air etc). To me its best described as faint version of that clucking thud sound you can make with your tongue rolled back onto the roof of your mouth. Sounds like it comes from the passenger wheel well area. I took mine in for the couple of known recalls and asked my dealer about it. They did not notice it at first ( they thought I meant a real thud issue type sound) and checked all parts of my brakes and suspension etc. All was perfectly fine. When I picked up my car I took a quick drive with the tech and he totally heard it as it happens at every stop. He was not sure what it was and said likely would be one of those things they would have to start really digging into to investigate. Since its not causing any problems and everything checked out fine, I decided to not be a guinea pig and leave alone for now and revisit at my 10k service if needed. I figure as more Q7s end up in service departments something in time will come out about it.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Meyecul
Yup, mine has done it since day one. Never been an issue as far as causing any problems. Car has to be pretty quiet inside to hear it (radio down, no loud blowing air etc). To me its best described as faint version of that clucking thud sound you can make with your tongue rolled back onto the roof of your mouth. Sounds like it comes from the passenger wheel well area. I took mine in for the couple of known recalls and asked my dealer about it. They did not notice it at first ( they thought I meant a real thud issue type sound) and checked all parts of my brakes and suspension etc. All was perfectly fine. When I picked up my car I took a quick drive with the tech and he totally heard it as it happens at every stop. He was not sure what it was and said likely would be one of those things they would have to start really digging into to investigate. Since its not causing any problems and everything checked out fine, I decided to not be a guinea pig and leave alone for now and revisit at my 10k service if needed. I figure as more Q7s end up in service departments something in time will come out about it.

Thanks for your feedback. Noises drive me bonkers. It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the quietness of the cabin and the cost of the vehicle. I'll check to see if I hear it coming from the passenger side.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah, I am with you. Unnecessary noises drive me nuts, but you will find this one (if it turns to be some part of a normal system check or the like), after a while of ownership will not bother you like squeaks or rattles etc. would. For me at this point, I do not even really hear it anymore even though I know its there. Enjoy your car!!
Old 11-16-2016, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I've attached a audio file in case anyone wanted to hear what I'm hearing. You may need to turn up your speakers. It happens around the 5 sec mark. You'll hear white noise than a faint clucking thud sound (thanks for the better description Meyecul).
Attached Files
File Type: wav
Audio.wav (1.43 MB, 216 views)
Old 11-16-2016, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Okay. Was curious again about this after this thread started. I have accidentally isolated the source. At first I assumed it had to be some sort of component to the breaking system. It's not (or not completely). It has something to do with the auto engine on/off feature. I have been able to create the sound at will with the car sitting still (foot always depressing the break). Next time you drive and come to a complete stop, let the engine do its auto shut off keeping your foot on the break. Now push the auto on /off button, you will here the sound and engine will start. Still w foot on break, push button again, engine will cut off and again you will hear the sound. You can sit and do it all day long.

Now I still get the sound when driving and coming to stop even w the auto on/off feature turned off, so it's gotta be originating from whatever components tie the auto on/off feature to the brakes.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I also have noises when stopping and accelerating

There is a popping from the front when coming to a complete stop and a sort of chirping when I accelerate. Having it checked tonight. Any insight is appreciated
Old 12-01-2016, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Vermuthia
There is a popping from the front when coming to a complete stop and a sort of chirping when I accelerate. Having it checked tonight. Any insight is appreciated
I took my Q7 into the dealership yesterday. The technician heard the sound and said the car shouldn't be making it. The tech also said the sound was coming from the front of the car. They put it up on the rack and but couldn't locate the sound. I have to take it back in 2 weeks so that they can have more time with it. I'll update after I take into them. Please let us know what you find out on your vehicle.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

There was a weird noise happened to mine once when I was reaching a complete stop, however I am not sure if the noise is the same as what you guys have been hearing. I will report back if I hear it again.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to hear this is something normal. I've heard faint clicks / pops and been wondering what the heck they are. With music on, they're not that noticeable.

Quick Reply: Does anyone hear a noise when they stop/accelerate?