A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS module removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default ABS module removal

Can the module be removed without disconnecting the ABS brake lines, etc
If I remove the module, can I cover the ABS with a plastic bag and drive till repaired unit come back?
Old 11-21-2016, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

2005 A8
Old 11-21-2016, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

You can remove it without disconnecting any brake lines. Probably you can drive without it, but I wouldn't suggest that. I am also suspicious about repairing A8 module.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

The ABS/ESP module (hydraulic modulator) is a Bosch 5.7 unit that is used on the contemporary A4, and literally millions of other vehicles worldwide. Obviously it's programmed specifically per vehicle type but there is nothing special about it so repair of it should be routine for any module repair shop.

The only thing of any note is for cars with adaptive cruise, they use a slightly different modulator, but it's still a Bosch 5.7 at its core.

Although in your case you should really double/triple check the wiring loom as there is still likely a short in it, causing the residual errors. You also want to make sure it's short free as plugging a repaired abs module back into it may damage it again, putting you back at square one.

Last edited by dvs_dave; 11-21-2016 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did just that, when I sent my bosch 8.0 abs module out for repair. I covered both the abs pump face & the cable end, separately & carefully. The car was functional but, boy, were there a lot of screwie indications in the instruments. It made me glad to get the module back & installed.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys where exactly is the ABS module and its wiring located?

Every day I have been having the Parking-Brake and Traction Control Error after 5-10mins of driving and now as winter is here I should definitely do something about it ahaha.

I am 90% convinced that the module is fine, its the wiring that has shorted, I just don't know where the wiring/abs module is located.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RangeK1D
Hey guys where exactly is the ABS module and its wiring located?

Every day I have been having the Parking-Brake and Traction Control Error after 5-10mins of driving and now as winter is here I should definitely do something about it ahaha.

I am 90% convinced that the module is fine, its the wiring that has shorted, I just don't know where the wiring/abs module is located.
I would suggest VCDS scan before digging in anything. ABS Module is on the ABS pump on the left side of the engine bay.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:33 PM
Engineer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

DONT drive A8 without ABS Computer you can destroy the Air Suspension, many things rely on that module to work right, Air Suspension, Navigation, Adaptive Lights, Parking Brakes, SRS Airbags, and the list goes on, repairing is a waste if time just get a used or new on then recode it, the problem with A8 ABS module is that is sits close the the exhaust and the heat from engine over time cause bad solder and or components, putting a heat deflector around it will save it....
Old 12-04-2016, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mishar
I would suggest VCDS scan before digging in anything. ABS Module is on the ABS pump on the left side of the engine bay.
Hey Mishar, thanks for the reply. I had the Audi Stealership run scans on it using the VCDS and nothing came up regarding the ABS module other than a front right abs sensor which I had them replace.

I'm convinced it is the wiring causing this hassle (many car wash incidents). I saw a video for an A6 C5 ABS module removal on CheapABS so thanks to you and that video I now at least know where the module is located. I was just wondering though the wiring for the module which is likely wrecked, will it have to be accessed via the wheel wel?
Old 12-04-2016, 02:04 PM
Engineer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RangeK1D
Hey Mishar, thanks for the reply. I had the Audi Stealership run scans on it using the VCDS and nothing came up regarding the ABS module other than a front right abs sensor which I had them replace.

I'm convinced it is the wiring causing this hassle (many car wash incidents). I saw a video for an A6 C5 ABS module removal on CheapABS so thanks to you and that video I now at least know where the module is located. I was just wondering though the wiring for the module which is likely wrecked, will it have to be accessed via the wheel wel?
I had the same issue for weeks one time its fine next time its not and I have 3 sensor but I'm going to save you some time and money, remove the wheel unplug the sensor you will see a rubber boot at the top of the sensor pull it back solder in a piece of wire and enjoy your car..... problem was the wire broke under the rubber boot hard to see, scanner will forever complain its the sensor...

you can do a continuity test between plug and abs harness but i dont remember the pins for the right sensor can wait till tomorrow and Ill check my laptop is at the shop.....

Quick Reply: ABS module removal