Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Extreme Winterization - How to Prepare?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 10:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extreme Winterization - How to Prepare?

At the end of the year I have a pretty large trip planned in my A6 all the way up to the Arctic Ocean in Tuktoyaktuk, NT, Canada where the average low is around -25c.

The trip involves a lot of gravel roads and some ice roads as well. I have some decent winter tires mounted on stable 17" rims.

I'm curious what else should be done in order to prepare for this grueling haul. Should the coolant mixture be altered? The grill blocked to prevent cold-air flow?

All I've done so far is install some heater pads on the oil pan.

Any suggestions from those up north would be super helpful! Thank you!

Last edited by AudiFan50629; 11-21-2016 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You might want studded snows on that trip.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I took a look of your destination on google maps. Best advice is to have your head examined for attempting to take a low slung street car over what they call roads.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Tu...!4d-133.034181

If you insist - install tow hooks front and rear, have tire chains, tow straps, a winch or two, extra everything that you might possibly need and a big box of money and trinkets.
The following users liked this post:
gguy (10-20-2019)
Old 11-21-2016, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tenspeed
I took a look of your destination on google maps. Best advice is to have your head examined for attempting to take a low slung street car over what they call roads.

If you insist - install tow hooks front and rear, have tire chains, tow straps, a winch or two, extra everything that you might possibly need and a big box of money and trinkets.
I'd say, move to Florida...
Old 11-21-2016, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No kidding! Must be incredibly important to be there! But Google has a better idea, if you zoom in a bit.

https://www.carrentals.com/tuktoyakt...itories.g-cty/
Old 11-21-2016, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Yikes what a trip! Why not rent a Yukon or similar with no mileage limitations) and return at end of trip with many thousands of miles more on odo than when you picked it up? No offense meant to the truck/suv lovers here but I detest most all of those vehicles for a variety of reasons except when used for their intended purpose. Too many soccer moms around my neck of the woods driving these monsters carrying one or two kids at most. Why expose the A6 to this kind of risk?

In any event good luck with the trip and be safe. The elements up there are obviously unforgiving and getting help if needed not like being on the Interstate.

Best,
Jeff
Old 11-21-2016, 11:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done slightly similar trips in my A6 previously, including from New York to Central America and from California up to around Fairbanks, AK, so I'm not a stranger to either terrible roads or slightly desolate conditions.

The draw of this trip will be reaching the Arctic Ocean by car (can't do that from Alaska since the oil fields buffer the ocean).

I'm well adapted in the car when it comes to snow and ice, and to be honest I think packed snow will be easier on the car than loose gravel during warmer times of the year.

My biggest concern though is the endurance of the car in consistently cold temperatures. I have an emergency kit that includes most of the basics, but I'm not sure how well the G12 coolant protects against freezing and how to install a heating pad on the battery (haven't even found its actual location yet).
Old 11-21-2016, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Yeah, I'm with the guys above. That's no terrain for an A6 as much fun as it is to drive an Audi Rally style. I once took a dirt road through the bowls of the California hinterland in my old S4 because it looked like a shortcut. I was with some friends and two other cars. We made it but not without regular stops to move rocks out of the way as not to destroy the underbody. I know of somebody with an RS5 in Alaska. He is heavily modifying it with underbody guards etc., but he also has two Touareg as his main vehicles.

But if you insist, I would at least replace the factory oil with 0W40 to better deal with the extreme cold temperatures.

Last edited by superswiss; 11-21-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
how to install a heating pad on the battery (haven't even found its actual location yet).
If your referring to the battery location it's in the trunk under the spare tire.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

I would agree with the Ford or GM SUV rental idea. Imagine if the A6 broke down up there in a desolate area. I suspect not many Audi dealers can be found. Or you hit a bad snow storm. You would be up an expensive creek without a paddle. Sorry but this seems like a bad idea with a 50K luxury sedan.

Quick Reply: Extreme Winterization - How to Prepare?