Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

In the hunt for an S5 - Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In the hunt for an S5 - Advice Needed

Hey everyone!

I've currently been on the hunt for a used S5 and would love some help from the pros on the forum.

1. I'm looking at 2009-2011 Models because they fit my budget. Are there any specific years which are prone to more mechanical issues and major defects?

2. I have my eyes on a couple of really nice models in 2010/2011 but they have around 130,000KM (80K Miles). Is it advisable to stay away from Audis with such high mileage? Do the Audis become problematic when they reach a certain mileage, assuming it's been taken care of and service records are provided.

3. Are there any major issues or problems with the 09-11 S5s which I should inquire with the seller to determine if the parts were already replaced so I don't end up with a big fat bill down the road? Are any of the specific years more reliable over the other? Is there a huge difference with the slightly newer years like 12-13?

4. Any general advise for me to ask or look out for when looking at these models? I'll be looking at a couple tomorrow.

Thanks!
Dan
Old 11-25-2016, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hello and welcome to the forum.

1. The early models 2008 to 2010.
2. No. If they were well maintained by their previous owners, you should not fear or runaway from a used S5.
3. Carbon build-up is a known issue since the V8 engine employs direct injection. If the car has not been carbon-cleaned, it is best to budget for carbon cleaning if you decide to buy any used example.

Other issues on the early models that I have heard and read about are as follows:
- the Tiptronic mechatronics unit premature failure.
- water pump.

As with all used car purchases, ask to see its maintenance records. Obtain a CarProof (in Canada) or CarFax (in US) Report on any of the used cars that interest you.

Take the used S5 to an independent Audi Mechanic or your Audi dealer for a Pre-purchase Inspection. Have them give it a comprehensive check. They will give you a heads-up on anything that needs immediate attention or potential repairs down the road.

As with every used car, nothing is guaranteed to work even if you do all your homework and get a PPI. Set aside some money for future repairs. Don't think that nothing is going to happen ever. Know that you're buying a luxury German brand and it demands premium $$ to get fixed. Be prepared is what I say.

As for the B8.5 or Facelift (FL) models that range from 2013 to 2017, the 3.0L V6 TFSI engine is so far reliable and is not prone to carbon build-up issues. I have not heard of any major issues with the FL models.

4. Be wary of engine and ECU mods that have been done by the current owners. Frankly, I will stay away from cars that have been modified. When I look for used cars, I look for original & unadulterated examples. It is easier to determine its history that way.

Good luck with you search!

Last edited by plat27265; 11-25-2016 at 08:26 PM.
Old 11-27-2016, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by plat27265
Hello and welcome to the forum.

1. The early models 2008 to 2010.
2. No. If they were well maintained by their previous owners, you should not fear or runaway from a used S5.
3. Carbon build-up is a known issue since the V8 engine employs direct injection. If the car has not been carbon-cleaned, it is best to budget for carbon cleaning if you decide to buy any used example.

Other issues on the early models that I have heard and read about are as follows:
- the Tiptronic mechatronics unit premature failure.
- water pump.

As with all used car purchases, ask to see its maintenance records. Obtain a CarProof (in Canada) or CarFax (in US) Report on any of the used cars that interest you.

Take the used S5 to an independent Audi Mechanic or your Audi dealer for a Pre-purchase Inspection. Have them give it a comprehensive check. They will give you a heads-up on anything that needs immediate attention or potential repairs down the road.

As with every used car, nothing is guaranteed to work even if you do all your homework and get a PPI. Set aside some money for future repairs. Don't think that nothing is going to happen ever. Know that you're buying a luxury German brand and it demands premium $$ to get fixed. Be prepared is what I say.

As for the B8.5 or Facelift (FL) models that range from 2013 to 2017, the 3.0L V6 TFSI engine is so far reliable and is not prone to carbon build-up issues. I have not heard of any major issues with the FL models.

4. Be wary of engine and ECU mods that have been done by the current owners. Frankly, I will stay away from cars that have been modified. When I look for used cars, I look for original & unadulterated examples. It is easier to determine its history that way.

Good luck with you search!
Awesome, really helpful! Much appreciated!!
Old 11-27-2016, 11:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Frankford, Ontario, Canada. 08 R8TT, 08 A5, 90 TT 300ZX, Ducati TT2
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A concur with every recommendation by plat27265.
To my knowledge, the 2008 model may be the better option based on the year range you're looking at. Only because of a few options like power folding mirrors that were discontinued on the 09 and 10 models and returned in 2011 - IIRC.
Then again, the older the model year, it usually means the chances of a lower level MMI system - IE: 2G plus vs 3G vs 3g plus etc etc. The MMI systems continually got upgrades through the years.
I believe there was the 3.0L V6T and 4.2L V8. Personally I would opt for the 4.2L V8
use your VIN and plug in into the Audi TSB site to see if yours may be affected by any of them. Also plug it into the Audi system for any recall notifications.

If you find a potential candidate, ask to get a copy/pic of their options list. (I'll attach a pic of mine). In that list are tons of codes that reflect all of the various trim and option levels that particular VIN has.
Use those codes and plug them into this decoder - VW Group Option Codes Decoder
More info on that here - https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...-well-2803172/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3541...0627401343114/

My Options List sheet:
Attached Thumbnails In the hunt for an S5 - Advice Needed-11262506_10152941673473613_8213434066385890599_n.jpg  

Last edited by jschrauwen; 11-27-2016 at 11:50 PM.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by jschrauwen
A concur with every recommendation by plat27265.
To my knowledge, the 2008 model may be the better option based on the year range you're looking at. Only because of a few options like power folding mirrors that were discontinued on the 09 and 10 models and returned in 2011 - IIRC.
Then again, the older the model year, it usually means the chances of a lower level MMI system - IE: 2G plus vs 3G vs 3g plus etc etc. The MMI systems continually got upgrades through the years.
I believe there was the 3.0L V6T and 4.2L V8. Personally I would opt for the 4.2L V8
use your VIN and plug in into the Audi TSB site to see if yours may be affected by any of them. Also plug it into the Audi system for any recall notifications.

If you find a potential candidate, ask to get a copy/pic of their options list. (I'll attach a pic of mine). In that list are tons of codes that reflect all of the various trim and option levels that particular VIN has.
Use those codes and plug them into this decoder - VW Group Option Codes Decoder
More info on that here - https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...-well-2803172/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3541...0627401343114/

My Options List sheet:
Awesome, thanks. I wanted something a little newer so I might start looking at some 2011+ models from here on.

I went to take a look at a couple S5s over the weekend, no luck yet. One of them was a blatant stolen vehicle with a re-vin. The second one was advertised as "clean title" but the carfoor said something different with 2 major collisions, one on the right, one on the left side of the vehicle. The third S5 I looked at was sold and also had a major collision on it anyway.

Still on the hunt. Out of curiosity, I may check out the Audi dealership to see what kind of numbers they can pull for me on the 2017 S5.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

type carproof*, not sure why I can't edit the post.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ddn97
not sure why I can't edit the post.
Perhaps it's a new member limitation thing that ends after a period of time and/or number of posts.
GL with your search.
Shopping in the GTA only or Mississauga as well?
Old 11-28-2016, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is a Toronto based page for Audi owners. May want to pose your interest in buying an S5 and/or where to shop. Couldn't hurt.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Grea...ontoAudiGroup/

For other generic A5/S5/RS5 queries, might serve you well to join this page.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/354160624656468/

A couple more good places for ref. Having more knowledge about your future new ride, bodes well to a satisfied purchase.
Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum
A5/S5/RS5
Old 11-28-2016, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ddn97
Awesome, thanks. I wanted something a little newer so I might start looking at some 2011+ models from here on.

I went to take a look at a couple S5s over the weekend, no luck yet. One of them was a blatant stolen vehicle with a re-vin. The second one was advertised as "clean title" but the carfoor said something different with 2 major collisions, one on the right, one on the left side of the vehicle. The third S5 I looked at was sold and also had a major collision on it anyway.

Still on the hunt. Out of curiosity, I may check out the Audi dealership to see what kind of numbers they can pull for me on the 2017 S5.
Perhaps it's a new member limitation thing that ends after a period of time and/or number of posts.
GL with your search.
Shopping in the GTA only or Mississauga as well?
Anywhere in Ontario
Old 11-28-2016, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This is a Toronto based page for Audi owners. May want to pose your interest in buying an S5 and/or where to shop. Couldn't hurt.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Grea...ontoAudiGroup/

For other generic A5/S5/RS5 queries, might serve you well to join this page.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/354160624656468/

A couple more good places for ref. Having more knowledge about your future new ride, bodes well to a satisfied purchase.
Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum
A5/S5/RS5
Thanks a lot, just sent an invite to the groups! I have filters on kijiji and trader so I'm watching every S5 that goes on the market like a hawk

Quick Reply: In the hunt for an S5 - Advice Needed