A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Chemical Guys - What's Your Experience?

Old 11-30-2016, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chemical Guys - What's Your Experience?

are these guys' products worth it?

i'm looking at rinse free wash + glaze + sealant + wax + tire/wheel stuff.

they seem like, for the most part, they put their logo on something very common and then charge triple for it.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I have not used their products, but if you go to any one of the detailing website - Auto Geek for example, I think they are highly regarded. There are a ton of very boutique detailing brands and products - particularly waxes, sealants and coatings out there, but for the most part I like the products and service from Griots Garage. But I have the Ultima Waterless Wash Plus and found it to be an incredible product.
Just my opinion, but instead of applying a sealant and wax, go for a coating. A good one - PROPERLY APPLIED - with the associated prep work (washed, clayed, paint corrected) can give you a couple of years of protection as opposed to 6 months or so with a sealant.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I've used Chemical guys products to detail my car in India and it was nice. The car had a nice, wet look to it (not show car level shine though, but still good enough).
Old 12-01-2016, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO their stuff is overpriced. You can usually find as good or better products for less money.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Im a fan of Autogeek or Detailersdomain
Old 12-01-2016, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Most of their products are over priced and nothing special. I tried a range of their products for about six month then stopped because I couldn't justify the price.

Jet Seal 109. Nice shine and moderately hydrophobic. Easy on, easy off, but lasts about six weeks not the claimed six months. I tried twice with two coats each time.

Blacklight. It's basically a glaze. Hides swirls a black car for about two or three washes then it's gone.

Hybrid V7. It's an instant detailer. No more, no less. No better than the cheaper stuff from Megs or Mothers.

Assorted soaps (Mr. Pink, max suds, citrus wash etc). They claim something like a 2000:1 dilution rate but you have to use just as much as a less expensive wash such as Megs Gold class to get the bucket sudsy. Not great value.

Wheel Brushes: Either they sent the wrong one or they were poor quality. I gave up.

Green chenille wash mit. Excellent. I bought two figuring they wouldn't last long but I'm still using the first one after three years. Approx 150+ washes. Go figure.

Microfiber towels. They have some good ones. The Woolly Mammoth is excellent as are their smaller grey super plush towels. All still in use after three years of drying the car and applying sealants and waxes. The waffle weave drying towel is good too. I dry about 80% of the car with the waffle weave then finish off with the Woolly Mammoth. The waffle is more absorbent than the Woolly.

Stripper scent air freshener. Hands down their best product. Reminded me of back in the day when life was less complicated. Smells just like a strip club dressing room.

I'm sure I tried more products just can't remember them all because they weren't that memorable. Overall their products aren't terrible. It's just that they are on the expensive side and are mediocre.

Last edited by up-n-coming; 12-02-2016 at 04:21 AM.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I guess I was lucky since a friend bought it and then didn't need it and gave it to me for free
Old 12-02-2016, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bob m
I have not used their products, but if you go to any one of the detailing website - Auto Geek for example, I think they are highly regarded. There are a ton of very boutique detailing brands and products - particularly waxes, sealants and coatings out there, but for the most part I like the products and service from Griots Garage. But I have the Ultima Waterless Wash Plus and found it to be an incredible product.
Just my opinion, but instead of applying a sealant and wax, go for a coating. A good one - PROPERLY APPLIED - with the associated prep work (washed, clayed, paint corrected) can give you a couple of years of protection as opposed to 6 months or so with a sealant.
i agree but don't want to invest in the DA polishers just yet. i think the layering will give me enough flexibility to go as much or as little shine/depth given the time i have to dedicate.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BiscuitEmbryo
IMO their stuff is overpriced. You can usually find as good or better products for less money.
it does seem that way, because they subdivide everything even if there's overlap. all the little items add up.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by up-n-coming
Most of their products are over priced and nothing special. I tried a range of their products for about six month then stopped because I couldn't justify the price.

Jet Seal 109. Nice shine and moderately hydrophobic. Easy on, easy off, but lasts about six weeks not the claimed six months. I tried twice with two coats each time.

Blacklight. It's basically a glaze. Hides swirls a black car for about two or three washes then it's gone.

Hybrid V7. It's an instant detailer. No more, no less. No better than the cheaper stuff from Megs or Mothers.

Assorted soaps (Mr. Pink, max suds, citrus wash etc). They claim something like a 2000:1 dilution rate but you have to use just as much as a less expensive wash such as Megs Gold class to get the bucket sudsy. Not great value.

Wheel Brushes: Either they sent the wrong one or they were poor quality. I gave up.

Green chenille wash mit. Excellent. I bought two figuring they wouldn't last long but I'm still using the first one after three years. Approx 150+ washes. Go figure.

Microfiber towels. They have some good ones. The Woolly Mammoth is excellent as are their smaller grey super plush towels. All still in use after three years of drying the car and applying sealants and waxes. The waffle weave drying towel is good too. I dry about 80% of the car with the waffle weave then finish off with the Woolly Mammoth. The waffle is more absorbent than the Woolly.

Stripper scent air freshener. Hands down their best product. Reminded me of back in the day when life was less complicated. Smells just like a strip club dressing room.

I'm sure I tried more products just can't remember them all because they weren't that memorable. Overall their products aren't terrible. It's just that they are on the expensive side and are mediocre.

thanks very much for the feedback. they are now claiming jet seal will last 12 months!

i went with ONR for a wash product because most of the time i just need to take the usual SoCal dust/dirt off the exterior and want to be able to quickly do this in my garage.

i kind of figured blacklight would be that simple, and that i would sometimes use it and sometimes not. didn't expect it to last that long. same thing with butter wax - these easy on/off products to me seem like monthly or bi-monthly applications.

i have not figured out the wheel process yet. do you have any recommended products for wheels? i did buy the silk shine for dressing and the foam applicator.

i'm really glad the mit and the MF towels are nice - that's good to hear.

overall, i was supposed to get a big shipment in last night via prime same-day but the stupid carrier failed to deliver so i guess i'll be detailing another day...

Search this Thread