A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do you verify CPO status of a vehicle?

Old 12-01-2016, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Default how do you verify CPO status of a vehicle?

Hi folks,

There's a D4 I'm interested in, but here's the backstory...the vehicle was originally leased and at the end of the lease the vehicle was purchased by the same person. Would this vehicle fall under CPO or would it simply be covered under the original warranty? TIA
Old 12-01-2016, 09:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

If it is CPO, the seller would certainly want to tell you that and have the paperwork. The dealer has to go through the CPO inspection process and pay the relevant fee to Audi, and there are a lot of used Audis sold even by their dealer network that are not CPO'ed.

And yes, there have been at least posts by folks that I recall where the lessee or owner essentially washed them through some kind of nominal sales process to get the CPO coverage, with owner paying the Audi related CPO fee. Not sure of specifics, but at least posts say it was done somehow.The sales tax in a scenario like this seems problematic to me, but that depends on what they are doing contract wise and how the given state tax laws apply.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 12-01-2016 at 09:48 PM.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

agreed that it would be in the best interest of the owner, however the vehicle is in consignment and the owner is very hard to reach. In fact it appears the owner really has just moved on from the car and wants it simply sold with as little friction as possible.

I've got a call to the dealer tomorrow that leased and sold the vehicle - to confirm the status of the CPO. Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

If the vehicle would still be in lease then as MP mentioned it could have been possible to have it CPO'ed, not after the sale. If you are in good terms with the dealer maybe they can purchase it from the owner, add the CPO ( at a certain fee, which I think is around $3000 ) and sell it to you, I may have heard before if my memory still serves me well. The last resort would be to buy an aftermarket warranty possibly from the dealer, they usually offer it. I have bought an Infinity from and Audi dealer and they offered a 5years/50,000 miles warranty bumper to bumper with $100 deductible for around $2000, which made a lot of sense to me.
Just my.02
Good luck !
Old 12-02-2016, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a particular document that shows all the stuff checked for the CPO process and you get a copy of it when you buy the car. If the car is already CPO'd this document should exist before the sale.

Greg
Old 12-02-2016, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by tx170754

If you are in good terms with the dealer maybe they can purchase it from the owner, add the CPO ( at a certain fee, which I think is around $3000 ) and sell it to you,

^^^This is what I've witnessed.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Great feedback everyone. I'm investigating the status and will update as I discover more. If there's no CPO, the car is still attractive, but not as much.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by raj99
Great feedback everyone. I'm investigating the status and will update as I discover more. If there's no CPO, the car is still attractive, but not as much.
It would be very interesting to find out exactly how much dealers pay Audi for a CPO.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

The CPO would be very attractive if somebody puts a lot of miles after the original warranty expires, since the CPO is up to 100,000 miles or two years. If the car is driven at the average annual mileage, let's say 15,000/year, paying an extra $3000 for two years doesn't make any sense to me, I have never put that amount of money in repairs on any Audi I have owned and let's do not forget that the reliability of Audi cars have dramatically improved lately...just my opinion.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Give me 90 minutes with a D body in the interval between 50K miles and 4 years and out to 100K miles at 6 years and 90% I will find $3000 worth of issues right then, let alone the $1000 that probably occur almost randomly and go in for regular maintenance. Now that MMI is covered for example, the probably $40 obsolete hard drive inside Nav that crashed on our Q5 with essentially same system as D4 on a two year old car was over $3000 for the part alone. They forklift replace the whole unit and then do all the computer hook up and restore stuff for more $. That one has no third party source or repair so far AFAIK. ABS unit at dealer prices they did on D3 was like a $3K part as well. Yes maybe could be rebuilt by the web guys like it is for D2/C5 era, but not that clear even on D3 let alone D4. On the D, any upper arm and sway bar link type repair--ESPECIALLY if it involves the megabucks alignment could ring the $1K bell at dealer prices. Had those done on both C5 and D3 under warranty, D4 design is still very similar, and my expectation is D4 will need it too--"when not if." Or the motor mounts and related torque support, and my D4 is putting out yet more torque than D3 W12 did. They supposedly put 20 hours plus into that and my other final punch list items near end of D3 CPO.

And yes, CPO claim could have been closer to $1K if I just did the routine as needed stuff. But a step hidden would be things I could see with VCDS like the lurking ABS issue, or things I could see poking carefully like the blown mount. You could drive the car for a couple more years in some cases and not yet notice the mount, but then the maintenance bill hits. By careful inspection, I try to front load a bunch of that into the CPO tail. Meantime, if any single large incident occurs like ECU damage (now being recalled), ABS or Nav meltdown, that's the CPO cost right there.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 12-02-2016 at 09:51 AM.

Search this Thread