A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

what to do about an exhaust issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 11:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to do about an exhaust issue

I have a '99 a6 avant quattro with 161k miles. The engine seems to run great, just did spark plugs and an oil change and it runs better than it did. The problem is that one or both of the cats are making noise/ bad. and there is a hole somewhere. I was quoted 2.5k for both cats and the resonator to be replaced, but thats about all I've put into the car so far, and its worth that much. Is this worth it? or should i sell/ part out the car and look for another? My worry is that i put the money in and the trans/ head gaskets/ timing belt etc. needs work and i am really dumping money. Any advice from you guys?
Old 12-02-2016, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Only you can decide this. An old car that has been kept up and is still in good shape may well be worth another semi-costly maintenance expense. If you know the car and still like driving it and the expense is still less than payments on a newer one then possibly. However, if you are not sure of the car's overall condition, if you have been ignoring routine maintenance then no. Timing belt and related are routine. Brakes, steering (control arms, tie rod ends, etc.), tires, trans service, etc. are routine.
If you do not have a good Audi indy shop that services this, or if you are not a DIY then it is time. Otherwise, these cars can go 300,000+ easily.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts

you can always have a muffler shop throw on an aftermarket cat at a reasonable expense if you are just trying to eek out little more life.
No way I would drop OE cats in a car that old an close to the edge.