Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Anyone read the Motor Trend SUV of the year article?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone read the Motor Trend SUV of the year article?

No the Q7 didn't win. But here is a snippet from the article.

"We returned to Honda the next morning for our second day of hot desert driving. I finished my rounds in time to take our social media guru, Chris Bacarella, out for a few loops to show him the things we evaluate. First, we took the Audi Q7 to the dirt loop, which was a motocross course modified so that it would stress but not kill the SUVs. It began with deep sand then graduated to a severely washboarded section, a few curves, a few dips, and a long straightaway. Then there was a speed hump designed to slow us down followed by more rutted, bumpy twists, the last one long, fast, and banked.

In other words, we should have treated it like a slow driveway, yet most of us saw it as a rally stage. The Audi was spectacular. It did full-throttle four-wheel drifts, yawed predictably to Scandinavian flicks, and landed softly even after the jump, ahem, speed hump. But other SUVs did not comport themselves so effortlessly, instead bashing into their bump stops as they rattled around the course. "

Somewhere else they made a comment about basically being a rally car.

The GLC 300 won. Weird that a car with manual slide adjusting seats and funky shifter mounted where most cars have there wiper stalk came with no complaints. Good for MB. Its on my list for my wife's next car.

Wonder why the XC90 wasn't a contender?
Old 12-04-2016, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

The XC90 was the '16 SUV of the Year. This is for new cars.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NABS4
The XC90 was the '16 SUV of the Year. This is for new cars.
Ah..didn't know they only do new models for that year.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dhc8guru
No the Q7 didn't win. But here is a snippet from the article.

"We returned to Honda the next morning for our second day of hot desert driving. I finished my rounds in time to take our social media guru, Chris Bacarella, out for a few loops to show him the things we evaluate. First, we took the Audi Q7 to the dirt loop, which was a motocross course modified so that it would stress but not kill the SUVs. It began with deep sand then graduated to a severely washboarded section, a few curves, a few dips, and a long straightaway. Then there was a speed hump designed to slow us down followed by more rutted, bumpy twists, the last one long, fast, and banked.

In other words, we should have treated it like a slow driveway, yet most of us saw it as a rally stage. The Audi was spectacular. It did full-throttle four-wheel drifts, yawed predictably to Scandinavian flicks, and landed softly even after the jump, ahem, speed hump. But other SUVs did not comport themselves so effortlessly, instead bashing into their bump stops as they rattled around the course. "

Somewhere else they made a comment about basically being a rally car.

The GLC 300 won. Weird that a car with manual slide adjusting seats and funky shifter mounted where most cars have there wiper stalk came with no complaints. Good for MB. Its on my list for my wife's next car.

Wonder why the XC90 wasn't a contender?

I was extremely disappointed that they didn't choose the Q7 -- it is vastly superior in all ways.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Pete Bessas
I was extremely disappointed that they didn't choose the Q7 -- it is vastly superior in all ways.
Its hard to imagine a better SUV. I think there choice is very opinionated and also they are looking for the best all rounder. I really don't see how the XC90 won it last year. Sure its a nice ride but not any better then a Q7. But I can't argue with the finalist that were chosen from all the contenders.