A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello New to Audi and Forum

Old 12-04-2016, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello New to Audi and Forum

Hey everyone, new to this forum. Just wanted to say hello and not be a creep lurking around. I just got an 11 A8L... I think it's a D4. Introductions aren't fun without stories and pics so below are both. Feel free to read if your bored but if not... all I'm saying is Hi.

Attachment 385118

Intro
I've been through a lot of cars in my time and being 32 married with 2 kids working for AT&T as a B2B outside sales rep and my wife running our nail salon... I could say i'm living the american dream aside from the house with the white picket fence and that simply hasn't happened yet because i refuse to buy a house in S Jersey. Every time i say never though it seems like i turn into that state farm guy that did everything he didn't want to do. In my lifetime I've had a 94 Pathfinder, 94 ES300, 97 SC400, 07 IS350, 07 M45, 03 350Z, 10 IS250 AWD, 07 MURANO, 10 RX350, LS600HL practically in that order and now a 07 Sienna AWD for my wife and i just traded in my LS for an 11 A8L. As you can suspect where i started to sacrifice for my four year old son and my now 1 year old daughter . The LS was really a spontaneous buy and that kinda sucked for me which I traded it in only after 6 months. Ever since my daughter I traded in the IS for the Sienna and that car became the family car. My wife and I could care less about the minivan I was just looking for something with AWD and something to not have payments on. Found one with rear entertainment system and got it regardless of the fact that it was baby blue....................
then I traded my RX in for the LS since the SUV wasn't considered the family car anymore. Well I went for the top of the line there... Everything but the executive package which took away the 5th seating very similar to the rear entertainment package in the a8.

The thought process for the trade up
My LS was awesome... Loved it. But you don't really know a car until you buy it no matter the research you do on it prior. So the LS was a hybrid... The horror stories about that on the forums was scary... And the thing was the question wasn't IF it was going to go... The question was WHEN and when that happens it's a good 5k expense. Now wouldn't be that big of an issue if it didn't take up so much trunk room. I literally could fit a stroller in there and that would be it. So if we took my car for any reason grocery shopping... I'd be putting everything in cabin.. The reclining chairs I had would never be used as I have two stationary car seats in there all the time which I won't be removing until my are of age and realistically I don't plan on having the car that long. The Bluetooth in the 08 only is used for voice and not multimedia. Multimedia Bluetooth didn't get applied until the 2010 models. I was bamboozled at the rinky-dink car dealership as once I got home the engine light came on with P1084 code which I want to say had something to do with the O2 sensors which was a ****ty situation. The interior and exterior wasn't perfect and I thought I could deal with the imperfections especially for the price I got it for but being a car OCD clean freak... It caught up to me. 6 months in I also started hearing some flex on the driver side which was known issue and could easily be fixed by swapping out control arms and bushings. So having the car for 6 months I was already ready to let it go... Thinking it's better to lose it now to avoid the big ticket items later. Originally I wanted the LS460L but it was technically a downgrade because I couldn't deal with groceries and the Bluetooth. Real 1st world problems. I would have loss the 3 projector headlights down to 1, the rear did entertainment w/reclining seats. Rear side sunshade, 4 zone climate control, hybrid technology, 100 less HP to gain less miles, newer year, less interior and exterior imperfections and a Bluetooth system that worked with multimedia. All said with most likely a 5k- 8ish loss between trade in and such. So I said if I'm going to get a new car I should get a different car in general. The Audi was something I'd figure I'd try out as my cars have always mainly been imports.

The sale
2008 LS600 HL I bought that at a steal for 21500 down in Virginia. Something about all the government officials down there one gives me piece of mind that the cars aren't driven by turds but normally the cars are always around 5k less than up north. So I was headed to a dealer in VA and on my way as I called the black on basketball brown was sold. Next closest one with the same specs I was looking for was at the tyson Audi dealership. Never liked a silver color car but one was in the area and the next closest one that was black and light tan was 30miles away at a rinky dink dealer. After a test drive I parted ways... They said they literally had this in their lot for 3 days... And the person who traded it in upgraded to an s8 that was just brought on the lot as he was in just for an oil change. My car trade was 17 average 18 high and 16 low. Private sale 18500 close to 19. I let her go for 16 and the new car was 26 I got it for 25 with some all season mats...whoopi.... Wasn't the best deal I've ever negotiated but I agreed.

1st impressions
The car is very nice. It's a very sporty feel especially for being the top of the line luxury sedan. The center console and navigating around it is going to take some time to get use to. It's a big car... Or i'm a small Asian. I think they are the same size and length but I feel like it's a cockpit but a big cockpit at the same time. I'm not sure how to explain it. I think overall... Surprisingly To me it makes the LS feel inferior.

issues
Some times I don't like being on forums because things I didn't notice tend to get noticed

Creaking in front end which I think boil down to some sway links
Cigarette lighter not working which I could change the fuse or bring to dealer for tsb to see if they do anything different.

As of right now the previous owner I think took pretty good care of this car and I thing those are the only issues

Things I don't like
Storage space in center console
No coin slot holder technically unless you consider the compartment in the driver side door your coin slot holder. ( I don't smoke and usually use the cigarette lighter as my coin holder as well but in this case the cigarette lighter is within the cup holder)
The factory rims but I have 22's that will move over from the LS just fine since they are the same bolt pattern

things that are awesome
Being able to close nav screen
Child safety lock from driver seat
Night vision?
Accent light
Massage chair
Different breaks in chair to get you more of a customized seat
rear window shade
side window shade
Shift ****... Will take some time to get use to but cool nonetheless
Customizable options without the Carista app... I have the app which I'll need to go in and play around with what else I can change on my own

Questions

Anything I should do that is recommended by everyone?

Where does everyone buy their aftermarket mods or car parts from?

I only found one site that offered the lowering module 1700 and the one lip kit to make it look like the s8 for 5k. I don't think I'll be doing much to the car but those two two might happen.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Name:  97B5B844-3775-4C10-B41C-D4679591DA18_zpsozs9gelz.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  143.5 KB
Old 12-04-2016, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice car and welcome!
Old 12-04-2016, 11:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey,

You should look into VAG-COM
It's a device which allows you to personalize your A8 to a certain extent, it uses codes which are on this forum (if you search it up). It can do things small e.g (the classic needle sweep of the dashboard needles, also unlocks secret menu in the screen)

Also, a good idea is to get a 'wrap' on the car. Wheater it's clear or another color, it prevents many everyday obstacles affecting you. E.g ( small stone chips, scratches from kids banging door against things
Old 12-04-2016, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Welcome.

On mods, don't bother w/ lowering module. Folks who used to sell those for big bucks essentially saw sales go to zero on D3 once the VCDS (VAG-COM) mod pioneered by Dr. Aronis back in the D3 heyday was unlocked. Similarly now pretty well documented for D4. I have done it for both generations, and driven it 100K miles on D3, so know it works. There are a few other pretty no brainer VCDS mods too like the gearshift indicator display. Lots of posts on VCDS level mods though already for when you turn to it.

Aftermarket support? If you want that, sell the car and buy a BMW 3 or 5 series, or an A/S 4 or 5 in Audi. Mid and big Audis have always been kind of afterthoughts for the mod companies. Having owned a Sienna as a different bookend, indeed it is like trying to find mods for something like that. Honestly, when you do it--and it can be done--you dig into the Audi parts bin for same model and find the upgrades. For example on a 4.2, that could mean 4.0T parts that are a notch up, or S8 level sway bars to stiffen it more, and so on. Again, like a Sienna where the hidden donors were things like an RX or an ES350 or various others. But like you probably know, hard to get excited about modding a Sienna...

For std. parts, I buy either dealer or equivalent OES supplier to Audi when known (Bosch, Lemforder, Delphi, Hengst, and many other names depending on part). BTDT too many times with "cheaper" stuff from other suppliers, that in the end were indeed "cheap" in quality but longer run more costly for repeated repairs for more $. Audi parts are available online from several dealers who provide good support--both web and phone. Std. discount is about 20% from list, though it varies to both less and more % wise depending on part. If you can find OES, it is more like ⅔ discounted dealer, and sometimes as little a ⅓ depending on what it is. I use audiusaparts.com (aka Sunset Audi in Portland OR area) since they are just out of state for me sales tax wise, but only two days for ground shipping. Not sure where you are (or I missed it in post), but sounds like northeast. If so, perhaps a similar on line dealer more in that area that makes sense to you slightly over state lines for sales tax matters, but similar short shipment times. When it's non dealer OES, I have 5 or 6 typical go to's to look for it, one of which is Amazon, another of which is ECS (which is often not the cheapest even relate to discounted dealer online) but has a thorough website. Rock Auto, Autohaus AZ, RM European and a few others.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 12-04-2016 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by josephpallan
Hey,

You should look into VAG-COM
It's a device which allows you to personalize your A8 to a certain extent, it uses codes which are on this forum (if you search it up). It can do things small e.g (the classic needle sweep of the dashboard needles, also unlocks secret menu in the screen)

Also, a good idea is to get a 'wrap' on the car. Wheater it's clear or another color, it prevents many everyday obstacles affecting you. E.g ( small stone chips, scratches from kids banging door against things
I have the Carista app which customizes as well as diagnosis engine light issues. Sounds very similar to the vag-com you recommended. As much as I like the idea of getting away from the silver I don't think wraps are worth it unless your doing something extravagant like Matt black or chrome or something ridiculous. To change the car to black I just feel like I should have gotten a black car.. so I might just settle for a clear bra

Thanks though I appreciate your input!
Old 12-04-2016, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Welcome.

On mods, don't bother w/ lowering module. Folks who used to sell those for big bucks essentially saw sales go to zero on D3 once the VCDS (VAG-COM) mod pioneered by Dr. Aronis back in the D3 heyday was unlocked. Similarly now pretty well documented for D4. I have done it for both generations, and driven it 100K miles on D3, so know it works. There are a few other pretty no brainer VCDS mods too like the gearshift indicator display. Lots of posts on VCDS level mods though already for when you turn to it.

Aftermarket support? If you want that, sell the car and buy a BMW 3 or 5 series, or an A/S 4 or 5 in Audi. Mid and big Audis have always been kind of afterthoughts for the mod companies. Having owned a Sienna as a different bookend, indeed it is like trying to find mods for something like that. Honestly, when you do it--and it can be done--you dig into the Audi parts bin for same model and find the upgrades. For example on a 4.2, that could mean 4.0T parts that are a notch up, or S8 level sway bars to stiffen it more, and so on. Again, like a Sienna where the hidden donors were things like an RX or an ES350 or various others. But like you probably know, hard to get excited about modding a Sienna...

For std. parts, I buy either dealer or equivalent OES supplier to Audi when known (Bosch, Lemforder, Delphi, Hengst, and many other names depending on part). BTDT too many times with "cheaper" stuff from other suppliers, that in the end were indeed "cheap" in quality but longer run more costly for repeated repairs for more $. Audi parts are available online from several dealers who provide good support--both web and phone. Std. discount is about 20% from list, though it varies to both less and more % wise depending on part. If you can find OES, it is more like ⅔ discounted dealer, and sometimes as little a ⅓ depending on what it is. I use audiusaparts.com (aka Sunset Audi in Portland OR area) since they are just out of state for me sales tax wise, but only two days for ground shipping. Not sure where you are (or I missed it in post), but sounds like northeast. If so, perhaps a similar on line dealer more in that area that makes sense to you slightly over state lines for sales tax matters, but similar short shipment times. When it's non dealer OES, I have 5 or 6 typical go to's to look for it, one of which is Amazon, another of which is ECS (which is often not the cheapest even relate to discounted dealer online) but has a thorough website. Rock Auto, Autohaus AZ, RM European and a few others.
Really?! Hey thanks so much for your input... I will definitely be searching for some threads about lowering.

I can see there's not a lot of aftermarket stuff for the car which might be a good thing... it'll save me money. LoL.

Anyone have an online maintenance book by any chance? My cigarette lighter doesn't pop out and my iPod charging cable which looks like it's from factory stopped charging my phone today... I am assuming both issues are fuse related
Old 12-05-2016, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a techie but above advice is very sound. The cigarette lighter issue I can solve for you - STOP SMOKING !!! :-) :-)
Old 12-05-2016, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Firefighter
Not a techie but above advice is very sound. The cigarette lighter issue I can solve for you - STOP SMOKING !!! :-) :-)
LOL... thanks for the input but I don't smoke I just want to charge my phone

I got it out though... little elbow grease... and the factory iPod cord randomly started working again.... I don't want to know.. I'll go crazy if I do... im just glad it works

Search this Thread