A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Dashcam?

Old 12-04-2016, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dashcam?

Shopping for a new dashcam, preferably with GPS logging (but that gps I may want to turn off in some occasions - not to show the speeds at least... two channel front/rear view would be a nice to have...
In my MK4 TDi I was using an older samsung Note for everything like TorquePro realtime info, gps and dashcam (I didn't wanted to throw it away when the SIM card reader broke, and the screen resolution is pretty impressive, and my MK4 didn't had at time anything close to today' s MMI), I use it with a very popular russian app DailyRoadsVoyager (I believe most of you are familiar with they're youtube videos
Looking in to my A4 windshield, around the rearview mirror for a nice spot to plan, the best I would attach the future camera "behind" the mirror, but the glass there have some coating like the door glass on my microwave

What dashcams you guys use or would recommend for consideration, also where did you attach, power wire routing?

Last edited by bigHUN; 12-04-2016 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I believe someone has put up a thread showing how he hardwired the cam (this is in regards to the routing part).

I don't want to hijack the OPs thread but I was wondering whether we can use a go pro as a dash cam since the hardwiring looked complicated to me. Any idea? Like something that has a rechargeable battery.
Old 12-04-2016, 05:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I use the Blacksys CH-100B dual channel dashcam. I routed the wires to the trunk. You can either use the 12V in the trunk or connect it to one of the fuses.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
...I was wondering whether we can use a go pro as a dash cam since the hardwiring looked complicated to me. Any idea? Like something that has a rechargeable battery.
I was watching this video review, the guy is mentioning the internal battery can melt in high heat.
I agree the hardwiring could be also a big inconvenience.
I have a sony action cam for my sailing sports and I believe the gopro's menu's are not much better for in-drive use, also these again needs some sort of external power as well for some longer drive recording.
And finally the action cams can not do loop recording.
My main concern to install some car battery protection for parked recording, because of the warranty on the new car....

Last edited by bigHUN; 12-04-2016 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by bigHUN
I was watching this video review, the guy is mentioning the internal battery can melt in high heat.
I agree the hardwiring could be also a big inconvenience.
I have a sony action cam for my sailing sports and I believe the gopro's menu's are not much better for in-drive use, also these again needs some sort of external power as well for some longer drive recording.
And finally the action cams can not do loop recording.
My main concern to install some car battery protection for parked recording, because of the warranty on the new car....
Yup. So from the looks of it, looks like the GoPro is out. I'm worried about pulling out trims and breaking stuff. I was wondering how I'd get about routing the wires without me having to do the trim removal. I personally wouldn't mind wires hanging around but the interior of the A4 is just so beautiful to be cluttered with wires.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
... I was wondering how I'd get about routing the wires without me having to do the trim removal....
Believe me better you do it its your car!
Old 12-04-2016, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I know. All them dash cam videos online....

I'm looking at either a transcend 220/520 or the Vantrue R2
Old 12-04-2016, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I installed a BlackVue 2 channel with the Power Magic Pro off delay in my A7. Excellent system with many features. I bought both on eBay for less than retail. Pictures near the end of this thread - https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a7-.../#post24882047

https://www.blackvue.com/dr650s-2ch/

Name:  My%20BV%203_zps97iqvbsd.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  76.1 KB
Name:  My%20BV%208_zpsq6pzham3.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  93.2 KB

Last edited by tenspeed; 12-04-2016 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I installed the Blackvue DR650S-1CH based on another thread on the mirror tap install in this forum. Took me about 30 minutes, the hardest part of which was figuring out how to remove the mirror housing. I highly recommend this dashcam, and it was worth it to install on my own. I didn't want to run any wiring back to a rear camera and have to worry about any possible issues with the airbag deployment.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Video playback on PC - can you turn off the gps coordinates (or especially your speed)? I know that the geotagging is a separate channel.

Search this Thread