Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

New member, just turned 40, too old for an S3?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member, just turned 40, too old for an S3?

I have just come out of a fun 2 year run with a 2015 M4 and am looking at downsizing both my vehicle and my vehicle payment.

Did the European delivery on the M4 with the help of a lot of great Bimmerpost members and am possibly thinking about doing it with my next Audi if I go that route. Problem is I cant figure out what vehicle to buy. I think I have narrowed it down to the following 2 cars, even though they are not really comparable.

I love cars, always have, and always have a fun one in the garage to back-up whatever SUV I DD. Right now I DD a 2006 Toyota 4Runner with tires/lift and will always have that truck to get me and the kids (6 & 3) around to whatever events we have. So my next car doesn't have to be big or roomy, but it does have to work in a pinch so I've decided to stay away from coupes after 2 years in my last one. I also have gotten used to the full time 4WD/AWD nature of my Toyota and want that in feel in a sedan. Being a Texan its definitely not required, but I like the driving dynamics and feel I'd enjoy that for a few years.

Option 1: Wait 4-6 months and buy a decently optioned A5 Sportback
Option 2: Wait 1-3 months and buy a S3 with most options

I know they are different cars but both would be priced about the same ($50K) and both are AWD and both have the Audi cockpit option which is very desirable to me. Thing is I just turned 40 and am not sure if the S3 will work for me both in size and age. It looks great but I'm not sure if I could fit a couple boosters in the rear while maintaining a comfortable driving position for my (very short) commute. The S5 Sportback is great but I have always loved sporty cars and the base A5 isn't that sporty. Getting into the S5 Sportback would likely push me well above $60K and I just came from there and am in no rush to go back.

So thoughts? Can a 40 yr old DD an S3?
Old 12-05-2016, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im 42 and i love my s3. should be fine having 2 boosters in the back for a short commute. i think the main difference though is that the s3 has a haldex awd, meaning its fwd until there is a loss of traction and then the rears kick in. the a5 is torsen awd, meaning awd all the time. in my opinion, the fun factor of the s3 cannot be matched by the a5. i think a test drive of both would be needed to come to a conclusion.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fit? Don't know. You should probably do a test drive at a dealer or a friend who owns one.

Age? You're only as old as you want to be. 40 seems pretty young to me. Drive what you like and enjoy. Your age is no one's business but your own.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Great points about the haldex vs torsen AWD systems, I was not aware of that. What I really like about full time 4WD systems it the confidence they inspire on even dry roads. To switch to Audi, who are ahead of most when it comes to AWD, is something I am really looking forward to experiencing.

In Texas I bet the difference in AWD systems wouldn't show up as much as it would in wetter climates but it's good to know. Either way I appreciate the comment.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by HBarlow
Fit? Don't know. You should probably do a test drive at a dealer or a friend who owns one.

Age? You're only as old as you want to be. 40 seems pretty young to me. Drive what you like and enjoy. Your age is no one's business but your own.
Oh man if that was case I'd save myself $10K and buy an STi. If only that car looked 75% as good as the S3 I'd likely buy one, but that is a car way too young for my age. The wing ruins it mainly, even though I smile each time I see one on the road.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Aw for Christ's sake I am 68 and ordered an S3 in September. You are never too old for a car that you fancy.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Uh oh. I'm 58! I must look rediculous
Old 12-05-2016, 01:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wife and I are pushing 70, we wanted a small sporty sedan with some luxury features.

Bought a 2016 S3 in July of 16. We LOVE the car, just what we were looking for.

We have taken it on a couple of long trips and we find it to be very comfortable, we have the SS seats.

We looked at and drove a BMW M235i but after trying the back seat we decided our boomer friends as well as ourselves would do much better with a sedan.

We tried an S4, very nice car, but larger then what we were looking for.

Love the size of the S3, its a fun car to drive.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome to the forum! Too old to drive an S3? Nah! Nonsense! I am 50 and I stepped into my S5 from an MK6 VW GTI. Even while I owned the GTI, there were folks from all over the age spectrum that own one. From a bratty 18 year old to a youthful 70 years old. As you may know, the VW Golf/GTI/R and Audi A3/S3 use similar platforms and are the same size category. Audi's more upscale so it just suits older young-at-heart folks a bit more better.

Go for it, you'll love the S3. I have not owned or driven an S3 but based on my several years experience with my GTI, it will feel much lighter and zippier compared to the M4. Plus, it is easier to drive it within the City and a hoot to drive anywhere.

Last edited by plat27265; 12-05-2016 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Definitely not too old, I'll be 40 in a few months and just picked up my new S3 this past weekend. After having a couple of BMW 3 series sedans I wanted something a little smaller and sportier so the S3 was perfect for me as it still had some semblance of practicality with 4 doors versus the BMW M240i which I was also considering.