Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

CRAPPY OEM rotors! My new PowerStop brakes...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default CRAPPY OEM rotors! My new PowerStop brakes...

So after having my (3rd) Q7, my first set of rotors and pads needed simultaneous replacement ... $1900... for a 'new' car. SON OF A....!!

I took the car back, went to Amazon, got PowerStop K4500 brake set.

I did the fronts first - done city, mountain and highway driving - about 800 miles - all is well! No vibration, less brake dust - a little less grab (which I don't love). Hopefully the metal wears better than the stock F&%$* S&%$TY rotors.

Parenthetically, my 2008, and 2011 Q7 didn't need rotors after the first pads got eaten, I don't know how AOA thinks that every purchaser of a Q7 will have to pay $2k within the first 18 months of ownership - ripping through tires and pads is bad enough. Unbelievable.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

I just put on our second set of pads and replaced rotors for the first time at 101,000 miles. The rotors did have a large edge lip and I had had to jumper the sensor wires due to the lip cutting into the sensor. They performed as well as ever though with 60k on the pads and 101k on the rotors. These were Audi OEM but I went back this time with Centric rotors and pads. The Centrics even came with new pins and anti rattle springs. I bought inexpensive sensors from ECS. Took me 4 or 5 hours in the garage on jack stands but if $1900 is the going price, I saved $1400!!! Wait till I tell my wife 😉
BTW the rears require a 16mm triple square for the caliper bolts and they are TIGHT. You'lll need the vehicle high enough to use a long breaker bar from below or an air operated impact. I only had jackstands and it was TOUGH.
One more pointer. If the parking brake shoes are too snug and prevent removal of the rear rotors, there is a star wheel adjuster at the 3:00 (left) and 9:00 (right) position in the hub. Remove the screw in plug from the rotor near the lug bolt holes with a 5mm triple square and you then can roll the adjuster wheel with a flat tip screwdriver. (Just like old school drum brakes) My rotors came off without having to do this but it was close.
Good luck with those caliper bolts.

Last edited by J. Patterson; 12-05-2016 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah, you have a 2011 model year - mine is 2015 and the rotors wore really fast compared to my other Q7s - the metal is clearly softer or my family and I have all gained 200 lbs each.

Yeah, I remember the rears being hard to crack.

I paid an indy shop to install the PowerStop set-up.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've used Zimmerman zinc coated rotors, oem pads, oem sensors along with beefed up fluid when replacing brakes. I would do all four corners at the same time and it would be less than doing the fronts alone through the dealer.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by iconoclast
I've used Zimmerman zinc coated rotors, oem pads, oem sensors along with beefed up fluid when replacing brakes. I would do all four corners at the same time and it would be less than doing the fronts alone through the dealer.
How's the wear on these going, sounds like a great set-up?
Old 01-07-2017, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Meyle pads are they recommended for Audi Q7
Old 01-19-2017, 08:08 PM
6ix
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just installed brand new set on all four corners, went with Zimmerman rotors and Hawk LTS pads. The bite is definitely better than OEM. The whole setup cost me about $1000 CAD, pretty good deal considering dealer was gonna charge me close to 3k
Old 01-21-2017, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 6ix
I just installed brand new set on all four corners, went with Zimmerman rotors and Hawk LTS pads. The bite is definitely better than OEM. The whole setup cost me about $1000 CAD, pretty good deal considering dealer was gonna charge me close to 3k
Yeah, nice work
Old 01-22-2017, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 6ix
Hi,
Do you mind me asking where you got your supplies? I'm in Canada as well.
I have to do mine very soon and looking for the best options...
Old 01-23-2017, 10:40 AM
6ix
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by stephdaula
Hi,
Do you mind me asking where you got your supplies? I'm in Canada as well.
I have to do mine very soon and looking for the best options...
Everything was supplied by my mechanic in Toronto. You can PM me if you want his info.