TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present
View Poll Results: Which car to buy?
TT Roadster
83.33%
230i xDrive convertible
0%
Model 3
0%
Save your money for loose women rather than fast cars
16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Decisions Decisions

Old 12-06-2016, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Decisions Decisions

I would like to request some help. I am trying to decide between the 2017 versions of the TT roadster and the BMW 2-series xdrive convertible (230i, not the M240 or the M2). I also have a place in line for a Tesla Model 3.

I have an offer on the TT that is 2K higher than a similarly spec'd 2-series, but for some reason insurance on the BMW is ~500 more per year than on the TT, so after 4 years those savings are wiped out. I have no idea how much a Model 3 would cost.

I love the TT's virtual cockpit, which is why I haven't just pulled the trigger on a BMW. iDrive 5 is OK but seems similar to MMI, and I'm not crazy about how the nav works on BMWs. I don't know anything about nav on Audis but I'm figuring it can't be worse, and the use of the Google Maps overlay in VC will (temporarily) blind me to the possibility that it is worse. The Model 3 is still in contention due to my love for Elon Musk and Autopilot.

I am planning to keep this car until it dies. I commute via train to work so it is not a daily driver - if I stay at my job for the next 4 years I'll be lucky to put 20K miles on it. My kids are either in college or college bound and I have zero intention of more kids. My wife has a Countryman, so we have a 4-door with space if we need it.

I am planning to get extended maintenance on either car, so for at least 4 years regular maintenance should be a non-issue. I am going to assume that the Model 3 has minimal maintenance based on what I've read about Model S maintenance.

I've driven both and I honestly can't say that one is better than the other. The BMW felt "better" but that's quite possibly because I drove it more recently. (disclaimer - I used to own a 1-series, so I'm more familiar with how BMWs drive). I don't recall any turbo lag on the TT and I absolutely recall zero lag on the BMW's turbo 4 - in fact, I had to doublecheck with the sales agent that he had indeed put me in a 4-cylinder, not the 6.

I've really enjoyed learning from the folks on this forum, and I know that both the BMW and the Audi communities are very passionate and learned about their chosen vehicles. So I'm hoping you guys can help me decide which car to choose. :-)
Old 12-07-2016, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

On paper the BMW 2-series is a winner of a bargain, but here is what disappoints me.
For a small car it is too heavy and feels it, only in a RWD 230i Coupe with MT is it light. xDrive, auto, convertible, and 6 cyl (when equipped) adds weight.
The Harmon Kardon option is a poorly implemented system that is hated by owners.
The Active Sound implementation drones, and it is pushed through the stereo which makes it hard to defeat. Interior and exterior styling I find disappointing. Interior Materials are kinda cheap. Comes with Run-Flats unless you get M-Track option.

Last edited by Can_Quattro; 12-07-2016 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 248 Likes on 211 Posts
Default Generally agree

Originally Posted by Can_Quattro
On paper the BMW 2-series is a winner of a bargain, but here is what disappoints me.
For a small car it is too heavy and feels it, only in a RWD 230i Coupe with MT is it light. xDrive, auto, convertible, and 6 cyl (when equipped) adds weight.
The Harmon Kardon option is a poorly implemented system that is hated by owners.
The Active Sound implementation drones, and it is pushed through the stereo which makes it hard to defeat. Interior and exterior styling I find disappointing. Interior Materials are kinda cheap. Comes with Run-Flats unless you get M-Track option.
However, most car magazines have had the 235/240M on their 10 best list since it was introduced. That said, a lot of BMW owners prefer the 228/230 because it is lighter on the nose. Most also feel that X-drive is not worth the increased cost unless you spend a lot of time in snow.

Defeating active sound is important to me and we know it can be done on the TT. I've heard lots of complaints that the HK is not worth the cost. Four the coupe, the BMW rear seats are slightly more useful than the TT's.

If I had to buy today it would be between the Mk 3 roadster and the 2 series convertible. The TT has a larger trunk AND a compact spare tire, a big plus for me. I hate that BMWs don't have a dipstick for oil. The M235/240 outperforms the TT and is cheaper. BMW dealers are not discounting too much now because of the new model upgrade but if you can wait, the 2 series will be cheaper. Getting a 10% discount from MSRP on a 2 series was pretty common last year while the best you can get on an Audi is 6%. Also the BMW has free maintenance for 3/36 which is worth about a grand.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cant speak to the latest 230 motor, but I found the 228 to be somewhat agricultural in nature. Regardless, the trouble with all these things is that there are any number pro's and cons and so it somewhat comes down to a personal wish list of things you happen to think are important. Drive a lot at night? Maybe the LEDs over Xenons make a difference. TT. Value more immediate off the line response? Perhaps the ZF/torque converter is a better option than the DCT. 230. Enjoy top down driving in the spring and fall? Neck warmers might be nice. TT. Want a configurable drive mode? TT. Bigger brake option, manual tranny, mag suspension, back seat, RWD? 230. Rarity, simplicity of optioning, quilted seats, aesthetics, true 2 seater, VC? TT. iDrive vs MMI, front bias AWD versus rear, 3800 versus 3300 pounds... In some ways two cars are just as far removed from each other as the Model 3 is from either.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks to the folks who chimed in. I'm placing a deposit on a '17 TT roadster (scuba blue with the palomino brown interior, tech package, and sports seats). :-D
Old 12-11-2016, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Excellent choice all around!!

Originally Posted by grey67
Thanks to the folks who chimed in. I'm placing a deposit on a '17 TT roadster (scuba blue with the palomino brown interior, tech package, and sports seats). :-D
Old 12-11-2016, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Congrats and may your experience be a supremely enjoyable one!
Old 12-18-2017, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I sold my 2015 M235Ix and got a TTS because after 3 years, all the little (and big) annoyances with it came to a head for me. Numb, twitchy, over-sensitive steering. Over sensitive throttle is difficult to modulate off the line. It's like a switch. Terrible A-Pillar blind spot behind mirror and speaker. Over sprung with regards to shock rebound capabilities leads to pogo effect in certain road conditions. Terrible, non-intuitive computer/nav system. Doors need to be slammed to close and feels cheap. Mediocre interior trim quality. Inconvenient things that should be able to be "coded" by the dealer but they will not do it: Need to pull door handles twice to get out of car. Ignition switch has to be hit twice to completely turn off car. Warning screen appears every time car starts. We loved the looks of the car and it was the right size, but the disappointments added up. The reviewers who love these cars don't live with them day too day.

Old and new.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

You're on an Audi TT forum. Did you expect a different result :-) Great choice. You're gonna love it.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by S4Bloom
I sold my 2015 M235Ix and got a TTS because after 3 years, all the little (and big) annoyances with it came to a head for me. Numb, twitchy, over-sensitive steering. Over sensitive throttle is difficult to modulate off the line. It's like a switch. Terrible A-Pillar blind spot behind mirror and speaker. Over sprung with regards to shock rebound capabilities leads to pogo effect in certain road conditions. Terrible, non-intuitive computer/nav system. Doors need to be slammed to close and feels cheap. Mediocre interior trim quality. Inconvenient things that should be able to be "coded" by the dealer but they will not do it: Need to pull door handles twice to get out of car. Ignition switch has to be hit twice to completely turn off car. Warning screen appears every time car starts. We loved the looks of the car and it was the right size, but the disappointments added up. The reviewers who love these cars don't live with them day too day.

Old and new.
This is good information and exactly the reason why spending some time on the owner forums is a good idea before purchasing a car. The M2 is on my radar for my next car but I don't think the BMW interior is going to cut it for me, especially at that price point. I also like the fact that you don't see TT's just everywhere and that keeps them somewhat unique as compared to the BMW's. Those factors will definitely come into play when it finally comes time for me to purchase.

Search this Thread