A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

How to replace a coil pack and ignition wires

Old 12-07-2016, 11:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to replace a coil pack and ignition wires

So i was having misfires on two cylinders. Put in new plugs, and there was still a misfire, smaller this time, not resulting in a CEL. So i thought it was either a wire that was intermittent, or the coil pack. Thought i would replace both at the same time as i don't know how old either are.
in no particular order, because i can't figure out the pdf uploader on here...

You will need
-10mm socket wrench and extender
-WD40 for rusty bolts if not replacing
-Wire cutter, for zip ties holding wires
-New Coil pack
-New Ignition wires
Make sure to match the part with the one in your car. I got this one off of amazon for not much. Paired with NGK wires.
Start by unplugging the wires from the pack, then take off the ECU connection on the right. There is a snap on the bottom that has to be undone to remove it.
I then took off the bolt with the ground on it first, it has a washer, don't loose that.
Then made my way to the other 3.
I hand loosened these so that the bolt wouldn't fall into the engine compartment.
Take out the old coil pack.
Remove any crud from around the holes that the bolts go in. Also you can get a good look under your manifold with this off, i had some leaves and stuff in there.
Spray the bolts with WD40 or wipe some oil on them for reinstallation. Mine were rather rusty.
Installation is the Reverse of this. I tightened the bolts to 10ft/lbs or around there. Didn't use a gauge.
For the wires, do one at a time if you are worried about confusing the order, On this car it goes from left back 3,2,1 and right 6,5,4. The connections on the pack are marked, or should be.
Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails How to replace a coil pack and ignition wires-img_1471.jpg   How to replace a coil pack and ignition wires-img_1472.jpg   How to replace a coil pack and ignition wires-img_1469.jpg   How to replace a coil pack and ignition wires-img_1470.jpg   How to replace a coil pack and ignition wires-img_1468.jpg  

How to replace a coil pack and ignition wires-img_1465.jpg   How to replace a coil pack and ignition wires-img_1466.jpg   How to replace a coil pack and ignition wires-img_1467.jpg  
Old 12-08-2016, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Well done!

Great info and excellent pics.

I remember using a shop vac for the acorn shells and hood insulation under my daughters intake manifold on the old 2001....damn field mice.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You had mice too?! my father has a 1997 cab that used to sit in the garage a lot, and one day he starts it and smells burning... luckily there were no mice inside

Search this Thread