A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Exterior lighting questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 02:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exterior lighting questions

I have two of them, granted the model is an allroad, but it should not make a difference.

1. What purpose do the rear foglights serve. I have never even seen this on a car before, and by testing all it seems to do it turn on my tail lights manually.

2. I have a premium plus version and in the MMI there is a high beam auto dimming adjustment. I was under the impression this option was not on my car, and I was playing with the setting tonight and it did not seem to do anything.

Thanks
Old 12-08-2016, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I think the option to turn on the rear lights is if you want to double park, be seen and not kill your battery by having all your lights on. Back in the 90's I had a E400 and I had the option to turn on either the left or right tail light on. Dealer told me it was generally the thing to do when Europeans double parked on narrow town streets. Not 100% sure though. Dealers like to make things up as they go.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ryan, the rear fog light switch turns on just one of the rear taillights. That's a european feature. I had a volvo years ago with the same feature. It's designed to allow vehicles approaching from the rear in poor visibility to recognize they are nearing a vehicle.

As for the auto dimming high beam, I too, have not been able to get that to function. Granted, I haven't spent much time on it, but I'm not sure how it works. Good luck.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by WetinOregon
As for the auto dimming high beam, I too, have not been able to get that to function. Granted, I haven't spent much time on it, but I'm not sure how it works. Good luck.
By auto dimming high beam, I'm guessing the high beam assist which switches the high beam to low beam when it detects a car? It doesn't work for you? I read that for it to work, the road should be empty. Else it detects headlights and goes to low beam mode.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ryan, the rear fog light switch turns on just one of the rear taillights.
Technically two lights. One on each side of the trunk.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, both lights. I just checked. It was just one on the old volvo.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yep, both lights. I just checked. It was just one on the old volvo.
Your right about using them in slow moving hazardous conditions. I just checked and they can only be turned on with headlights on and the engine running. So using them when sitting for an extended time double parked like I thought wouldn't make sense.

Last edited by up-n-coming; 12-08-2016 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
By auto dimming high beam, I'm guessing the high beam assist which switches the high beam to low beam when it detects a car? It doesn't work for you? I read that for it to work, the road should be empty. Else it detects headlights and goes to low beam mode.
In Canada, the auto high beam assist is with the led headlight package. I have it and tested it as well.

To activate it:-Push the high beam stalk forward once
-you should see a high beam logo with the word AUTO on your cluster
-This means auto high beam is on, when driving above 50km/h, and when it detects there's no vehicle light in front, it will activate the high beam.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ekyp
In Canada, the auto high beam assist is with the led headlight package. I have it and tested it as well.

To activate it:-Push the high beam stalk forward once
-you should see a high beam logo with the word AUTO on your cluster
-This means auto high beam is on, when driving above 50km/h, and when it detects there's no vehicle light in front, it will activate the high beam.
Yup. I did the coding Mitchfin has put up and it works flawlessly in my car. I drive a lot on empty roads and it worked perfectly. It works swirly like in my A7, I dare say, a little bit better since my A7 switches off the high beam early compared to the A4 which lets it remain on for a bit more longer.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rear foglights are uncommon in the US. My guess is that most car manufacturers believe American drivers are too stupid to use them only when necessary, and will instead drive around with them on all the time (which is a bad idea, since they may dazzle following drivers in clear conditions).