A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Varying street values?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 07:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Varying street values?

Noob here. Selling back my TDi Jetta Sportwagen to VW as part of their emissions scandal settlement, and looking for another wagon. Considered the BMW 5-series E39 wagons, but have been put off by their maintenance history.

Just looked at a very nice 2006 A6 Avant ( 133Kmiles ) yesterday and in doing my research it seems that valuations are all over the map? On one site I got a valuation of just over $9K, while at the other end I got a valuation of $5,700. Why such a wide range? What is a nice example of this era wagon worth?
Old 12-10-2016, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I noticed you didn't receive any responses to your question.

I think the value of a ten or eleven year old car like the Audi you're looking at can vary widely depending mostly on miles but also very significantly on condition and maintenance history. Pricing a car like that is much more subjective than a one or two year old car.

If the car you're considering was a one owner car with complete dealer service and repair history records and is immaculate it would be worth several thousand dollars more to me than a car with no known history and in decent shape.

Have you pulled a Carfax report?
Old 12-10-2016, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts

I'm also in the Puget Sound area, so my '06 A6 Avant could be a reference for your search. It has all the packages (premium, tech, cold weather), power tailgate, manual sun shades, satellite radio, NAV, and the rare adaptive air suspension option. With only 82.6K miles on it plus all of the maintenance records, the value for this Avant would in the upper range of the pricing. As HBarlow noted, the selling price heavily dependent on its condition and maintenance history.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a two owner car. I saw the Carfax briefly, looked clean, am getting a copy. Looked like the primary owner had it in to a dealer for the factory service intervals. It is not as well equipped as A6Gary's car but it has a bunch of stuff. At 133K miles my major concern would be the automatic transmission.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerarddm
At 133K miles my major concern would be the automatic transmission.
Tranny tends to be pretty good. Bigger concerns should be timing chain guides and tensioners, and torque converter.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have sufficient experience with Audis to predict component failures. KevinGary above sounds like he does.

If the price is right for you you'll have to decide if it's worth the risk. Well cared for used cars are often a bargain even if the car does require an expensive repair in the next several years. Even with the cost of repairs it will still be cheap compared to the price of a new one.