A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing B&O Tweeter and I LOST the wire

Old 12-10-2016, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing B&O Tweeter and I LOST the wire

My tweeter wasn't going into the full up position. Monkeyed around with it a bit and gave up and bought a new one. Took out the old one and after disconnecting the connector from the speaker, the wire snapped back and is gone. How to fish it out? An hour of trying to blindly hook it and reach up from below has not yielded me anything but cut up fingers. Do I need to take the dash out?

HELP!!!!!!

Thanks
Old 12-10-2016, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

This may help.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Pull of side of dash fuse covers to try to see up there from another angle w/ no real disassembly?
Old 12-10-2016, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

One of those little dentist's mirrors or similar may work. I even got a lost screw with some putty on a stick once. You may have to get creative.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

How about a telescopic magnet? Yes, there's plenty down that hole that will want to stick to it, but the tweeter cable should be the only thing long enough to be able to come out of it.

Incidentally, just last weekend, I switched my tweeter and had the opposite problem - the cable was snagged somewhere and almost impossible to dislodge enough to get to the connector plug.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default How do you remove it?

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Pull of side of dash fuse covers to try to see up there from another angle w/ no real disassembly?
I took out the screws, it doesn't budge. Tried to just slip out the plastic piece holding the fuses but that won't budge either. Seems it pushes in, which I am afraid to do.

Thanks for your helpful suggestion!
Old 12-11-2016, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I think that the first step is to get a cheap borescope aka inspection camera and then look around inside. Amazon sells some for under $100. Those things can be incredibly handy.

Once located, a flex magnet will bring it back. There is enough steel in the connector for a magnet to grab onto.

Here is one for $83

https://www.amazon.com/Extech-BR80-V...exetech+camera
Old 12-11-2016, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BrianE
I took out the screws, it doesn't budge. Tried to just slip out the plastic piece holding the fuses but that won't budge either. Seems it pushes in, which I am afraid to do.

Thanks for your helpful suggestion!
Did you drop the wire on passenger side speaker, or drivers side? Try dropping glove box if passenger side?

Also, cheaper than any scope these days (as in, free) if you are having trouble seeing in there with windshield glass so close is just turn on cell phone camera and get it in the opening area. Front facing so you can sort of see what you are shooting, and take a movie to look over afterward and see if you can spot the wire in some nook. I'm finding a camera phone these days can let you see places you just can't get your head in as another option to the older inspection mirrors and it can focus down to 6 inches or so.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 12-11-2016 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Passenger Side

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Did you drop the wire on passenger side speaker, or drivers side? Try dropping glove box if passenger side?

Also, cheaper than any scope these days (as in, free) if you are having trouble seeing in there with windshield glass so close is just turn on cell phone camera and get it in the opening area. Front facing so you can sort of see what you are shooting, and take a movie to look over afterward and see if you can spot the wire in some nook. I'm finding a camera phone these days can let you see places you just can't get your head in as another option to the older inspection mirrors and it can focus down to 6 inches or so.

Yes it is on the passenger side. I took it to my mechanic today and he said the same thing about the glove box. I may just have him do it as he has done multiple and I am a little concerned about the wires etc behind it. Is removing it a big deal?

Good idea on the cell phone camera based on where the lens is located. I do have a scope and can't find it.

Thanks

Thanks,

Last edited by BrianE; 12-12-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BrianE
Yes it is on the passenger side. I took it to my mechanic today and he said the same thing about the glove box. I may just have him do it as he has done multiple and I am a little concerned about the wires etc behind it. Is removing it a big deal?

Good idea on the cell phone camera based on where the lens is located. I do have a scope and can't find it.

Thanks

Thanks,
Assuming you are just going to drop it down and not pull out (which then involves CD changer disconnect, air bag, etc.), then see this pic for the various screws. Note the two on the right side are under that fuse trim panel cover on side of dash/opening.
Attached Images  

Search this Thread