A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Heated Steering Wheel - Inconsistent Heat Distribution

Old 12-10-2016, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated Steering Wheel - Inconsistent Heat Distribution

The heated steering is a nice feature these days but the heat distribution is not uniform. The top section above the 10-2 position is at a perfectly warm-hot temp while the remainder of the wheel is barely lukewarm. My normal driving grip is just above the 9-3 position so I don't benefit from the heat.

Is this heat distribution as designed or should I get it checked out?

Old 12-10-2016, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I believe the heating elements are near the spokes. The area around the spokes heat up fast. That is how it is in all my audis
Old 12-10-2016, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've tried the heated wheel on our 2016 A6 only twice so far this winter. The first time the heat coverage was inconsistent and just lukewarm at best in the warm spots. The 2nd time there was even coverage and warm as expected. Both times the wheel had adequate time to worm up. I'll be trying it again tonight.

I'm thinking that the A6 and A4 might have the same system?
Old 12-10-2016, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I believe you can adjust the temperature via coding. Audi heated steering doesn't get as warm as, say, BMW (my Bimmer heats up much more). But I still haven't felt it inadequate though my opinion might change as it starts snowing more here.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My old 535ix had a hotter steering wheel than my A4, but I think the A4 is fine. The BMW was almost too hot, not burning hot, but it would make my hands sweat. As for location and temperature, my car seems to match Corrado's picture. If I remember on Monday, I'll borrow the IR camera at work and take a picture of my steering wheel.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nyulak
My old 535ix had a hotter steering wheel than my A4, but I think the A4 is fine. The BMW was almost too hot, not burning hot, but it would make my hands sweat. As for location and temperature, my car seems to match Corrado's picture. If I remember on Monday, I'll borrow the IR camera at work and take a picture of my steering wheel.
haha just causally borrow an infrared camera! What do you do?!
Old 12-10-2016, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I design MRI antennas. Part of product verification requires me to measure surface temperature during a worst-case scenario. We use an IR camera to identify the hot spots and then probe them with fiber optic sensors.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I design MRI antennas. Part of product verification requires me to measure surface temperature during a worst-case scenario. We use an IR camera to identify the hot spots and then probe them with fiber optic sensors.
very cool!
Old 12-11-2016, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I agree with you regarding BMWs. The steering in my X3 also heats up enough to make me realise that I've left it on for too long and it's time to switch it off. It becomes hot and, like you said, can make my hands sweat. The A4 stays warm and keeps your hands warm, not hot.

Originally Posted by Mitchfin
very cool!
I agree. Cool job he has. I'd love to see the IR pics too.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I found that heat on wheel is good. Not too hot. It could be turn on all the time during cold days - don't need turn on and off.

Search this Thread