A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New D4 Owner - Questions about Aftermarket Subwoofer Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 11:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New D4 Owner - Questions about Aftermarket Subwoofer Install

Hello,

My name is Maximilian, 28, living in Denver, CO. I am an A8'er for life =). I just bought a 2011 A8L with 58k miles. Black on Black. Cold Weather Package, Convenience Package, Premium Package, and Alcantara headliner. Super clean car fax with all previous maintenance done at a CA Audi dealership. ONE owner so I am the 2nd. It was a deal that was too good to pass up.

I currently also own a 2000 A8 with only 80k miles but it has some issues and the repairs cost as much as the value of the car according to KKB and I am tried of putting more money into such an old car (relatively). I am still debating on what I want to do with it. I was thinking of giving it to my GF as a trade. I need to find a new apt/house by the end of Jan so the trade would be 4-5 months rent free and at the end I will sign the title over to her. She can put the money into fixing it (we would sign a contact of course). I also used to own a 2004 A8L which developed its own set of problem especially being the 1st year of the D3's. I eventually traded it in.

I have done hours/day/weeks of research on the D4's. I have read through many many posts/treads on here and other D4 forums. This one being by far the most active. I have made it through page 40 of this sub forum for D4's and I have come to the conclusion that the 1st year, 2011, has no major issues and nothing critical that is sometimes associated with 1st year models. Coming from both previous generations, I am in love with the 4.2L V8. I have read about the 4.0 vs 3.0 vs 4.2 and for me the cost/value and performance of the 4.2 is unmatched.

My mod plans (yes I have 3):
  1. 20% Tint all away around - debating on 30 as that is the legal limit in CO but my 00 A8 has 20 and it looks soooo good and I haven't had any issues with it in the 2 years I have lived in Denver.
  2. Clear bra - debating on how much of the car I want covered. Ideally, I would want the full package but I don't know if I have the additional funds to do it. I think my limit would be $500. If anyone has a hookup in the Denver area, let me know please.
  3. Subwoofer Upgrade - I love bass. Been that way since I was a teenage and isn't going to change anytime soon.

My questions:
I haven't found any details specifically to these this questions. I want to install one 12'' subwoofer/box/amp in the trunk, professionally of course. About 600 RMS watts. More for SQ, not SPL. Yes, it will be loud, when it want it to be, but it will also be of Audiophile quality.
  • Has anyone installed an aftermarket sub in the D4? Suggestions?
  • How easy/hard is it to remove the Bose stock sub or not be removed and instead just unplugged?
  • Any advise/tips/cautions I can relay to the installers?
  • Suggest additionally soundproofing to the trunk? Any specific areas of suggestion to cover in the trunk? Any specific areas of suggestion to get soundproofed in the cabin?
  • Control my sub levels/dB in the MMI? I was able in my 04 D3 but IDK if the D4 will do the same.
  • Suggestion to upgrade the main left/right woofer and tweeters in the front seats? What is the size these speakers?

Thank you
-Max

Last edited by maximumsp; 12-10-2016 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am researching the exact same things.

As far as the subwoofer replacement - I found these two YouTube videos informative:

Old 12-13-2016, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Wondering what/if you found anything else out and what you plan on doing...?

I was rather shocked to find out that the sound system in the A8 has just a 10" free-air woofer in the rear deck.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

tapping the subwoofer line is probably the easiest way, but you will sacrifice some SQ. Since you are only amplifying what the bose signal is.
Or get a summing processor/controller (Something like a Audison Bit One). If you are going to redo the entire system. Takes all bose outputs and and then reassigns them with a processed signal. Most processors also have an option controller that you can mount in the dash someplace....a pro and con, depending how you see it.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have a 2016 A8L with factory Bose that I replaced. They put Focal K2 3-ways up front, Focal 5 1/4" two ways in rear. They put a 6-channel Focal amp that used 4 channels for the front and 2 for the rear. They put an Audison BitONe processor off the Bose amp to sum channels and send to crossovers. All this is mounted in the well the spare tire normally is in. (I now don't carry a spare.) Bass is very strong and "audiophile-like" (I am one). Only would need a sub if you really wanted to pound hip-hop or rap.

Everything looks stock and is controlled by stock switches on steering,etc. Very happy I did it even though some days I only listen to talk radio. When I want to Jam, it gets real loud and clean fast.
The following users liked this post:
Zaxx (10-13-2019)
Old 12-14-2016, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dblang
I have a 2016 A8L with factory Bose that I replaced. They put Focal K2 3-ways up front, Focal 5 1/4" two ways in rear. They put a 6-channel Focal amp that used 4 channels for the front and 2 for the rear. They put an Audison BitONe processor off the Bose amp to sum channels and send to crossovers. All this is mounted in the well the spare tire normally is in. (I now don't carry a spare.) Bass is very strong and "audiophile-like" (I am one). Only would need a sub if you really wanted to pound hip-hop or rap.

Everything looks stock and is controlled by stock switches on steering,etc. Very happy I did it even though some days I only listen to talk radio. When I want to Jam, it gets real loud and clean fast.
Mind sharing the cost?

Are all 14 speakers working - or just the new Focal ones?
Old 12-15-2016, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

They left the center channel and factory sub connected but they're volume level is hardly noticeable. They might as well be disconnected.
Cost was $7k installed. About the same as the B&O upgrade. No comparison in sound though.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Here's a picture of under the trunk wheel we'll.
The following users liked this post:
Jota83 (10-22-2022)
Old 12-15-2016, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Excuse my typos. Damn autocorrect.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the speaker sizes of the front doors for the B&O's? I want to transfer my 5'' 1/4'' focal components from my older audi to the 2011 but it was B&O speakers.