A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Base Speakers - the one thing that's really disappointing...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Base Speakers - the one thing that's really disappointing...

So you can read my other thread about my road rage + assault incident... but it has landed me in the base model Hyundai Tucson rental for 1 day until they can put me in a better car while mine gets fixed

And the sound system in the Tucson is awesome!

I was so impressed I legit stopped by the rental location on my way home to confirm, as it's right next to the repair shop and I wanted to see how progress is on my car. They confirmed base everything.

Compared to our standard A4's , the sound system is much better. Kinda disappointing to know a base stock 2016 Hyundai Tucson has a much better sound system than an A4, probably twice the price? Will probably be upgrading the sound system soon.

That said, I've seen some ppl do some crazy mods in here to their speakers. Is there something that can be done to keep all of the wiring exactly as is, but simply get better speakers, sub, and amp?

I don't even know where the sub is in our cars actually.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:57 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

That's shocking to me...

I know when I had test driven the B8 back in 2009, I had been impressed by how good the 'base' (which I don't think is the base outside North America) sound system was. It's somewhat troubling to me that the B9 would have taken a major step in the wrong direction...(unless they decided to give you the actual base system from other markets)

What audio source were you using on both?
Old 12-14-2016, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I've driven a Ford Fusion sport and that had really nice stock speakers too (Sony system I believe). Plus it is a fast car. Test drive it long back.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to start a thread on this but glad the OP took the lead.

It is one of my biggest disappointments with the A4. Worst base sound system I have heard in many years and cars owned. Sound is lacking in richness, bass, and clarity and is not much better in overall sound quality than a set of $50 computer speakers to be honest. I understand the Bang & Olsen is excellent though.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VM
That's shocking to me...

I know when I had test driven the B8 back in 2009, I had been impressed by how good the 'base' (which I don't think is the base outside North America) sound system was. It's somewhat troubling to me that the B9 would have taken a major step in the wrong direction...(unless they decided to give you the actual base system from other markets)

What audio source were you using on both?
I had the base speakers on my last a4, and they seemed pretty decent. But I'm no audiophile. I can tell the b&o system in the new one is better at least from what I remember of the original one. Maybe audi is putting a cheaper base system these days. I know last time the premium plus didn't come with b&o and this time it does, so maybe they are purposely doing it to give people more incentive to move up a trim level.

I know on the new w205 c class the base system is pretty bad and almost makes the burmester system a must
Old 12-14-2016, 06:52 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by hans007
Maybe audi is putting a cheaper base system these days. I know last time the premium plus didn't come with b&o and this time it does, so maybe they are purposely doing it to give people more incentive to move up a trim level.
... and, of course, this is another case of Canadians getting screwed. The mid-level 'Progressiv' trim here, which is roughly but not exactly equivalent to the U.S. Premium Plus, does not include the B&O system. The B&O system is only on the top-level 'Technik' trim.

FWIW, I haven't been that impressed with the B&O, but... that's probably because I have almost exclusively been listening to SiriusXM. Silly me. I know.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:53 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
I've driven a Ford Fusion sport and that had really nice stock speakers too (Sony system I believe). Plus it is a fast car. Test drive it long back.
The Sony system is the uplevel option on Fords... but, IIRC, it's very cheap to upgrade to - couple hundred bucks maybe...
Old 12-14-2016, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by VM
... and, of course, this is another case of Canadians getting screwed. The mid-level 'Progressiv' trim here, which is roughly but not exactly equivalent to the U.S. Premium Plus, does not include the B&O system. The B&O system is only on the top-level 'Technik' trim.

FWIW, I haven't been that impressed with the B&O, but... that's probably because I have almost exclusively been listening to SiriusXM. Silly me. I know.
I listen to SiriusXM too, almost exclusively. I think the B&O is pretty good. Maybe not excellent but definitely not bad. I haven't listened to the base system so I have no idea how good or bad it is.

Originally Posted by VM
The Sony system is the uplevel option on Fords... but, IIRC, it's very cheap to upgrade to - couple hundred bucks maybe...
Oh ok. I thought it came as stock since all the cars here seemed to have it. But yes. It didn't sound bad to me considering how I've heard audiophiles say that Sony systems are bad. VWs also have pretty decent systems, especially the Fender system. I test drove the CC and it sounded pretty nice.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Also not an audiophile, but the B&O sound system to me is incredible. If people are saying its just good, I'd love to hear what great sounds like.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by VM
... FWIW, I haven't been that impressed with the B&O, but... that's probably because I have almost exclusively been listening to SiriusXM. Silly me. I know.
I agree with you, the B&O speakers -- when listening to satellite radio -- are nothing to write home about. To get decent sound out of them, you have to really crank up the volume ... at which point you'll be deaf by the time you're 35.

However, when I pop in an SD card with MP3s on it, the speaker sound improves measurably ... but still nowhere near my home stereo setup, with lower wattage and fewer speakers.