Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2007 Q7 4.2 FSI Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2007 Q7 4.2 FSI Oil leak

Hello all,

my problem is as the above stated. Massive engine oil leak from the front crankshaft seal.

I replaced it already 2x; still leaking!! (Crank is clean and has no damage)
I changed the oil level sensor since that was leaking too.

I read about a leak on the oil filter-flansh but that would cause to see more oil in the back of the engine.

Since that that main crank seal is of the new design style (old=inner spring ring). is there some magic besides being very careful to install it. Or does it even require a special tool.

What about the engine vent system with all its valves/cyclones and reduces? Does it make sense to take it apart and clean it?? Can this even be done or is this valve block a throw away part?

Is there any other place/component where it can leak from in the front of the engine?

Any input is highly appreciated, quite frank, this drives me nuts.

Ciao

Werner
Old 12-28-2016, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Not sure if you ever got any answers. This Q7 forum is no where near has helpful as those for BMW, I guess these are just more rare. Anyway, I am having your same issue with my 07 Q7. Mine is leaking oil form about every seal possible. I am shocked this engine is so poorly sealed. I had my oil filter housing gasket replaced 8 months ago for $900. They said the valve covers were starting to leak, but not horrible as the oil filter housing was gushing oil, I lost 8 quarts of oil driving 2 miles just to show how bad. As soon as I parked it, it was a river of oil. Now, I have 2 major leaks, one at the back that pores all over my exhaust and burns so bad it seems like my engine is on fire, and one at the front just as yours seems to be coming from, the front baring seal. I have had BMW's, and just about every other brand over the last 25 years. NONE ever leaked outside the valve cover on a M3 BMW, and that took 2 hours to do myself. This Audi is ridiculous. The only thing worse than the engine leaking oil everywhere, is the electrical system, that I have never had all working correctly. I dropped my headliner to fix the wonderful water leaking sun roof drain tube, and now none of my interior lights work. Its been never ending with Q7. I can never get it all sorted out to where I can just sell it and move on.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeIndy35
..... I dropped my headliner to fix the wonderful water leaking sun roof drain tube, and now none of my interior lights work. Its been never ending with Q7......
Been there done that....so much fun, lots of electrical gremlins too, wait until you get to replace the battery. Bitchiest car I've ever owned(and there have been over 60 of them). I figured why not, I've never had an Audi and the wife really likes the looks. I like the Q, but this will very likely be my last Audi unless I lease a new one and never have to deal with it getting some age and miles on it.

As for the oil leaks, mine had a few as well when I purchased it and I took it to a local shop that works on Audi and Porsche. They replaced the PCV valve which did seem to clear up some of the leakage, clogged PCV will pressurize the crank and force oil out where it doesn't belong. They also replaced the crank seal, but I brought it back because it was still leaking. They ended up saying they believe it's coming from the timing covers and not only were they not willing to do the work at the time, the labor involved is ridiculous because the motor would have to come down. So..... I live with a slight oil leak. I did buy some LiquiMoly snake oil based on some excellent reviews on amazon. It's only been a hundred miles or so but it may actually have slowed the leak down even more. I only see a couple of drops overnight now. Good luck!
Old 12-28-2016, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, I have had a few too many issues, and my first Audi as well. I had to replace my MMI control panel after a few drops of Redbull got on it, I had to replace my BOSE amp because the rear washer fluid line broke and was draining fluid all over it. I had my oil filter housing gasket replaced 8 months ago, that caused it to pour oil out everywhere. I've replaced my battery under my seat 3 times in 2 years because I have 3 defective door handles that don't shut the sensor system off, so I have to keep my truck on a charger over night or it will drain the battery. They want $1,500 to replace them. It's literally been a horrible experience. I LOVE they way it looks, and LOVE the way it drives. It is just so sad they built it so poorly. I come from a long life with BMW, and they are built so much more solid than Audi's are. If I can get this to only leave a drop or 2 of oil, I might be ready to just sell it and get away from it. Shame
Old 12-28-2016, 02:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sounds exciting! I'm just learning about this battery drain /faulty door handle issue, i can't wait to try and fix that, sounds like the door handle assembly gets to get changed, fun...

You might look into your pcv valve, sounds like it could be a good possibility.

I've also had several BMW's and a few Mercedes....I'll definitely be going back to one of them next.

What a PITA / Pain in the Audi!
Old 01-02-2017, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hello all,

thanks for your responses. I will give it a try with the engine vent system today. I'll keep you posted.

I also got me a new crank seal (old style with spring).

Ciao

Werner
Old 02-19-2017, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hello all,
I am back on it.
After reading a lot all over the forum word I decided to look into the oil-filter flansh. Needless to say that it is total bitch to get that intake manifold off, but I did it.
The mass underneath can not be described. I think I soaked out at least a quart of oil that was sitting there in all this little pockets.
The figure 8 square O-ring of the flansh was not in very good condition anymore, the second O-ring neither. I got all that replaced and cleaned. Unfortunately I ran out of brake cleaner, so I put a pause on it. Come tomorrow I will have it all back together, pictures to follow.

I also found a crankshaft seal old style that I will install, just to make me feel a little better.

Ciao

Werner
Old 03-06-2017, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok ,my crankshaft seal seems to be leaking now also

What is this "old style" gasket you all refer to?
Old 03-11-2017, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts

I feel everyone's pain regarding oil leaks. My '07 4.2 had a bunch of them. I removed the intake manifold and de-carboned the intake valves and intake runner flaps. All of the spark plug wells had oil in them, so I replaced both cam cover gaskets. The PVC system did not work consistently so the crank case had positive pressure which pushed oil out of every gasket and seal - it's working now and the leaks around the oil pan area have greatly decreased. The worst oil leak was the right-rear timing chain cover - this is an IMPOSSIBLE repair with the engine in the vehicle, but I managed to get the cover off. There is a coolant tube pressed into this cover and you MUST replace the O-rings on it as well...I didn't and had coolant getting into the oil - so I ripped into it again. The factory just uses sealant on this cover, I tried twice to fix it with sealant without success. So the 3rd time around I made a gasket for it and so far...so good. I still have a bad oil leak somewhere on the right side of the engine...but I'm so tired of working on this thing...that I'm just living with it for now. Sometimes oil gets on the exhaust and the cabin air intake sucks up the smoke and blows it out the vents - it's horrible. I really love this Q7 so I just put up with this stuff for now. I've been an Audi owner for many years, and never had so many oil leaks on any other 4.2 vehicle.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Oil from rear passenger side

Originally Posted by testarossaguy
I feel everyone's pain regarding oil leaks. My '07 4.2 had a bunch of them. I removed the intake manifold and de-carboned the intake valves and intake runner flaps. All of the spark plug wells had oil in them, so I replaced both cam cover gaskets. The PVC system did not work consistently so the crank case had positive pressure which pushed oil out of every gasket and seal - it's working now and the leaks around the oil pan area have greatly decreased. The worst oil leak was the right-rear timing chain cover - this is an IMPOSSIBLE repair with the engine in the vehicle, but I managed to get the cover off. There is a coolant tube pressed into this cover and you MUST replace the O-rings on it as well...I didn't and had coolant getting into the oil - so I ripped into it again. The factory just uses sealant on this cover, I tried twice to fix it with sealant without success. So the 3rd time around I made a gasket for it and so far...so good. I still have a bad oil leak somewhere on the right side of the engine...but I'm so tired of working on this thing...that I'm just living with it for now. Sometimes oil gets on the exhaust and the cabin air intake sucks up the smoke and blows it out the vents - it's horrible. I really love this Q7 so I just put up with this stuff for now. I've been an Audi owner for many years, and never had so many oil leaks on any other 4.2 vehicle.
Hi,I replaced rear main seal ,all of timing cover silicones but still I have heavy oil from rear passenger side.i can’t see the source .Did any body have same problem and solve it

Quick Reply: 2007 Q7 4.2 FSI Oil leak