A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

First service at 15K!?!? Toronto suggestion for reputable 3rd party service shop???

Old 01-08-2017, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Default First service at 15K!?!? Toronto suggestion for reputable 3rd party service shop???

So I've always been told... new car, 5K oil change.

I called Audi recently to inquire about why the first service wasn't set at 5K.

They said they do the 1st one at 15K now... what!?

Have you guys individually gone out to change the oil for your car? I'm thinking of doing it myself.

Does anyone in Toronto recommend a service shop where I can take it in for an oil change?

Thanks
Old 01-08-2017, 07:23 AM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

I believe Audi will pay for your first service visit, so that's probably one good reason to have the dealer do it... (and I can't imagine they would really object to doing it too soon)

The 5K (or 3K miles for our American friends) recommendation was typical for cars running non-synthetic oil. 15K/1 year oil changes are commonly recommended by manufacturers who require synthetic oil; I even think BMW may recommend 15K miles rather than kms. Note that, from what I've heard, VW/Audi turbo engines are very particular about the type of oil that's put in them...
Old 01-08-2017, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Both BMW and Audi recommend services every 10k miles in America. In India, my VWs also had a recommended service interval of 15k kms. Looks like with the advent of synthetic engine oils, service intervals have been prolonged.
I used to get the oil changed in my remapped VW every 8k kms though since it was remapped and VWs have a drinking problem.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
Both BMW and Audi recommend services every 10k miles in America. In India, my VWs also had a recommended service interval of 15k kms. Looks like with the advent of synthetic engine oils, service intervals have been prolonged.
I used to get the oil changed in my remapped VW every 8k kms though since it was remapped and VWs have a drinking problem.
If you are planning to only change oil, I highly recommend getting an oil extractor for <$100 and change your own oil in between Audi service interval (every 6 months or 8k km). Motul 8100 engine oil is excellent in Audi engine.

The filter is up top as well so extracting oil, putting in new oil, getting a new filter should take less than 20mins. I used to do that for my B8.5 and I plan to do the same for my B9.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ekyp
If you are planning to only change oil, I highly recommend getting an oil extractor for <$100 and change your own oil in between Audi service interval (every 6 months or 8k km). Motul 8100 engine oil is excellent in Audi engine.

The filter is up top as well so extracting oil, putting in new oil, getting a new filter should take less than 20mins. I used to do that for my B8.5 and I plan to do the same for my B9.
Oh okay. I didn't know there were oil extractors. I usually paid people to do it. And I ended up spending a lot of money.
Where do you buy filters from?

PS - I've heard only good stuff about motul and people say it's the best engine oil out there, especially for diesels. I should start searching for it here.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Line vipinLJ said, here in US, first oil change is at 10k miles and it's free. I just got my car (day after Christmas) so between now and 10k miles I don't care if the damn thing blows up. Lol. I'm not changing the oil or paying anyone else to change my oil.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:46 AM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Many_audis
Line vipinLJ said, here in US, first oil change is at 10k miles and it's free. I just got my car (day after Christmas) so between now and 10k miles I don't care if the damn thing blows up. Lol. I'm not changing the oil or paying anyone else to change my oil.
I think you're missing the point. The concern is that, if Audi's recommendation is wrong, you might be damaging your engine in a subtle way between, say, 5000 and 15000 km... but that damage would only manifest itself in a measurable way after the warranty period.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VM
I think you're missing the point. The concern is that, if Audi's recommendation is wrong, you might be damaging your engine in a subtle way between, say, 5000 and 15000 km... but that damage would only manifest itself in a measurable way after the warranty period.
Nope! Not missing the point.
I'm on my sixth Audi. Two of them I did over 100k miles, one 75k and the others were leases that were turned in after three years. None of them received any special oil change schedule.
I've owned thirty eight cars in the last fourteen years and not one had an engine failure.
My current weekend toy is a 2002 grand Cherokee with 165k miles on it. It's fully built for off roading. You should see my air filter every time I change it. When I take it out about three pounds of dirt falls out and I know some of that crap gets sucked in to the engine and turns in to sludge and I still don't change my oil in less than 5k miles.
When I leased my 2014 A4 first recommended oil change was at 5k miles. And now it's at 10k. Company who builds a million cars a year must know thing or two about their recommended oil change schedule an who am I to argue with Audi/VAG? LOL.

So I say...save your money and enjoy your car.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
Oh okay. I didn't know there were oil extractors. I usually paid people to do it. And I ended up spending a lot of money.
Where do you buy filters from?

PS - I've heard only good stuff about motul and people say it's the best engine oil out there, especially for diesels. I should start searching for it here.
Filter I usually get them from dealer for $15. For oil extractor, I use this one
https://www.amazon.com/Hydro-Turf-Oil-Extractor-6-Liter-OIL01/dp/B000GU0MMU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1483910612&sr=8-5&keywords=oil+extractor

Cheap enough and does the job just fine. I believe the B9 takes less than 5L oil so this would work.

I use a bottle of liquid moly ceratec every 25k and oil change every 8k km using motul engine and couldn't be happier. The services guy think I am crazy cause I paid for Audi care but would always bring a bottle of motul oil during the dealer annual service lol.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Okay. I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to oil changes. Mainly because I think the interval is too long. But again. That's just me. Lease or not, I like my engines purring like a cat. And luckily, even though it has only been 7 yrs since I've been owning cars, all my cars have been or are in perfect condition.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First service at 15K!?!? Toronto suggestion for reputable 3rd party service shop???